Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#189047 Fri May 28 2010 12:17 PM
R
Rob SVT Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I just recently bought a Tok 39 tall with the 4 ad glasses and the station lighter top - it has a conventional globe on it.

Some questions for you:
-Is the station lighter more rare? Worth more?
-With the 4 ad glasses - what year could it have been made?
-The dreaded worth question - the pump was in decent shape before being restored (original faces/glass sight bowls/nozzle, not much rust) and has an average enamel paint job - not base/clear showpaint. Any rough ideas on value?

Thanks to all for any help - this is my first pump but I need more after looking at your pump pics!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Tokhein never made a station lighter where you could also mount a globe. The only companies I know of are Wayne and Revere (an aftermarket) unit. All this is shown in my Gas Pump Identification book.

www.petrocollect.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
Rob SVT Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Let me clarify - the previous owner mounted a conventional globe to the station lighter top, he simply drilled several holes and mounted it. It looks great on there.

Any thoughts on my questions?

Thanks!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I think we would all like to see that, how about a picture. I don't think anyone of us will venture a guess as to any value unless we can see what we are valuing.

Jack

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri May 28 2010 03:01 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
The stationliter is definitely more rare and worth more money complete.I would not see the top alone making the pump worth any additional money unless you had the rest of the stationliter or had a buyer for the top alone.I bought a tall 39 w/4 ad glass last week with a reg top for $150.It was a great price.They usually bring $350-450 range in good solid condition needing restored.The pump would date late 30's to late 50's.Hope this helps.Mark

R
Rob SVT Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'd like to include a pic but my dig camera has issues!

The globe mounted on the top looks like any non-lighter pump. It truly looks like it belongs there. I wish I had the actual light bits but I wouldn't be able to use them anyway since the pump is in my home office with an 8' ceiling.

When did the 4 ad glass pump get replaced by the 2 ad glass?? I was hoping to narrow down the age a bit closer and I thought the 4 vs. 2 might do this???

Thanks!

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
THEY MADE THEM BOTH WAYS.GUESSING THE 4 AD WAS AN UPGRADE.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
It sounds like the tower isn't attached to the pump, that an adabtation was made directly to the tower base for the globe.
You can't put a tall 39 with tower and globe in an 8 foot ceiling nor can you put pump, tower, and bonnet in the same 8 foot ceiling.

Mick

R
Rob SVT Offline OP
OP Offline
R
A pic is worth a thousand words, right? I'll get a pic on here as soon as a buy a new camera. This could take a while because the engineer in me will have to research it to death.....

Since I haven't used one thousand words yet, I'll spend a few more.

My pump has the lighter top, but it does not have any of the lighter parts. The previous owner did NOT mount a globe to a 3 foot tower, he mounted it directly to the pump top using the typical round holder. The pump looks like a normal 39 tall with a globe on it. Unless you looked at the top of the pump, you would not know that it was the station lighter.

Thanks for your replies - I'll post a pic when it is possible.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
An Engineer W/O a camera/camera phone ! LOL
Must be retired.

R
Rob SVT Offline OP
OP Offline
R
huh?

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Ad glass, 4 was not an upgrade, pumps were offered with either none, 2 or 4, the 2 & the 4 just cost more. Probably as much as $5.00 extra.

Jack Sim

R
Rob SVT Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Finally, a pic of the pump with the new camera. It is an 18 megapixel camera set at the lowest quality to meet the file size requirements.

Hopefully, the pic will be loaded????

Tokheim 39 Tall.jpg
Where is the station lighter?

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

R
Rob SVT Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Unfortunately, the liter bits are long gone. Previous owner mounted a globe to the top like a conventional pump. The top has the square raised surface and the side panel has 2 holes in it for the dual light switch. I prefer the globe, plus even if I had the correct light, my wife would not let me put it in the room with the high ceilings anyway.

Sorry for the non-rotated pic - grabbed the wrong one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved