Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#19151 Sat Jan 19 2008 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not sure if I am missing something here? But the ebay fees are based on a percentage of the sales price, The more you sell the more you pay, If your fees are $400.00 a month, you have to be selling a lot of dollars worth of merchandise, and therefore that is the reason for the 400. The individual fees are not the problem, it sounds like you are listing a lot of items, or you have a lot of reserves that are not being met. I just sold an item for $430. my total fees were $15.68, (Thats a cheap price to pay) I thought the item was worth about $100. (which is what I would have asked for it at a sale). So I am a big believer in ebay.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#19152 Sat Jan 19 2008 04:01 PM
Let's not make this personal.

It is a difference of perspective. One man's criticism is another man's whine.

Every selling opportunity has its pros and cons.
* A swap meet can cost a lot of gas and motel $, but you get to talk face to face and no shipping hassles.
* EBay can get your item in front of millions of potential buyers, but you have to pay a fee. Are the fees more or less than the gas & motel for a swap meet?
* Ads on Oldgas.com Shop Talk & Classifieds are free and have lots of collector lookers. But they want good stuff at a good price.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#19153 Sat Jan 19 2008 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I apologize if I came across like that, I believe I was just stating my opinion, I did not meen any Disrespect to anybody.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
#19154 Sat Jan 19 2008 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
56chiefstar, I did a quick search of your for sale stuff and noticed no pictures, for me I have to see an item before I will buy it. If you were to add picture to your items it would increase your sales.

I have found that most guys are looking for a 'deal' rather then a fair price on the items I have sold here on oldgas.

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
#19155 Sat Jan 19 2008 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Aren't the listing fees based on the opening bid ?
Then another fee for the selling price.

By starting at a high opening, you take away the speculation that the buyer might get it for less than your BIN price.

#19156 Sat Jan 19 2008 08:45 PM
KZ1000,
My post about limiting personal remarks was not directed at you. I intended that for ronsjunk and 56chiefstar's exchange on page one of this topic.
Let's keep comments about situations and things and leave out negative comments about people.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#19157 Sun Jan 20 2008 07:30 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I felt that Ronsjunk remark to me was unnessary and a negative remark to me thus I responded. I feel ebay is the most exciting thing to happen to auction sales, my problem is I feel they should put more charge to items that sell and less to items that don't, Alot of times its the 3rd or 4th time then it sells.Yes there is a listing fee even if it doesnt sell. I cannot load pictures on Oldgas site or else I would have. Maybe its my computer? There is one great gas bash in So Calif that I do. Use to do the shows like Long Beach vets show and did great but when Ebay came along so went down the sales for signs and other items at outside shows, for me at least.

#19158 Sun Jan 20 2008 10:27 AM
56chiefstar,
If you are not putting photos in your eBay auctions, you are wasting your money. I generally don't bid on items without photos. If I do, I will bid very low because I am taking a bigger chance than usual.

Learn how to upload the images on eBay and you will get more bids. If you have low starting bids and good photos, you will have far fewer auctions that end with fees and no sale.

If you want to learn how to do upload images for Oldgas.com Shop Talk, click on the Testing Forum and read the tutorial topic. If you still have trouble, contact me by clicking on the Contact link on any Shop talk page.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#19159 Mon Jan 21 2008 08:20 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I can see 56chiefstar point,Ebays just like the oil companys,they keep raising the prices every year to see how far they can go.Once every one adapts they go a little more.10cents here and 20cents there for pictures and then insertion fees and selling fees really adds up and then they raise it 10 or 20 cents every year for what reason?????A 10cent raise on every auction,Imagine the kind money this company makes with out raising fees,and then you cant even talk to any one live anymore.I was always told that Greed never pays but I sure dont believe that anymore,it never pays for us but it sure does for the big companys.OK then you go to the gas and oil shows and then they raise there spot fees which Columbus show is way out of line with there $50.00 early set up fee and there running that show in to the ground just like Iowa Gas with there GREED.I really hope someone starts a new show at the same time and everyone quits Columbus.The only good shows are Cheeses and Chips.You take as much space as you need and the fees are hardly anything.I think I got off the subject but its really up setting to see everything run by GREED.Old Gas might end up being the only place where you can sale with out spending a small fortune in fees???????

#19160 Mon Jan 21 2008 10:41 AM
It costs money to keep ebay running, as well as to put on shows. Heres the thing... People are paying the fees on ebay, as well as the 50 dollar early set up you are talking about. If everbody didnt, the fees would be lower. Simple economoics, get the best price as the market will bear. Whats wrong with that?

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#19161 Mon Jan 21 2008 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Folks, fees are a fact of life. For ebay it helps offset insurance rates, phone lines, employee salaries, rent, utilities, etc. For "on the ground running" events, like Seth's and Cheese's, here at PIR and everywhere else, their overhead goes up just like at your house. Except muliply it at least tenfold... If fees become too high the volume goes down and you lose money, if you let fees lag too long your expenses get out of hand, and you lose money. NO enterprise can long exist bleeding money. I have managed a couple Electrical Contracting Companies before I got sick, I always heard the same old question, why are your rates so high? "My brother-in-law could do that same work for 1/3 to 1/2 the price". They could care less that I paid insurance for the employees, on my equiptment and buildings. That I paid salaries to my 100+ electricians, plus myself(can't forget me) and office personel. Advertising, utilities, etc. add to the mix. I know I'm long winded. lol For those who think fees are too high, start your own "ebay", put out your own "seed" money, find people to do your website, employees, building, insurance, etc. and then see what your overhead is really like. If you work for someone, ask them what their overhead is like and stand back for "sticker shock". Then you will find those fees are nothing, when compared to what they should be.

[This message has been edited by Bob Richards (edited 01-21-2008).]

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#19162 Mon Jan 21 2008 11:08 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
chiefstar,
I think you are listing too many items that dont sell and then relisting.. no pics will hurt too. no paypal hurts too..

I was not willing to take paypal and it hurt my sales.. but mostly the high cost of NOT SELLING drove me away....that and ebay's attitude.. and hiding behind we are just a venue..

He ebay.. your stocks are reflecting what people think!!

#19163 Mon Jan 21 2008 05:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Drgaspump, I am glad you see what I am talking about. I stopped using paypal when a lady sold me a not as described heavily damaged sign and paypal said if I sent the sign back to her they would refund the money to me. I did this and because I was gone for 12 days 2 days longer than they like on a buying trip they said I was out. The lady then tried to keep my $200 and sign so I had to deal with local sheriff to get my money back thus I don't use Paypal.

#19164 Mon Jan 21 2008 05:05 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I use photos all the time on ebay, I meant I did not know how to get them on ads with this site but now I have the information how to do it.

#19165 Mon Jan 21 2008 05:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I do not take Paypal for a reason, I had bought an item that was heavily damgaged not described on the ad. Paypal went on my side and told me they would reimburese the money if I sent the sign back to seller. I did this. They then did not refund my money and the lady thought this was an opportunity to keep my $200 plus the sign so I had to go to her local sheriff to get my money back. I do put pictures all the time on ebay. I meant I wasn't able to on this site. I now see the instructions to do this. I also will send pictures to anyone who emails me thru their email address.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved