Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JGRAFF Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey everyone. I am lovin' this site!!!! Thanks for having me.

Got my first pump last sunday. Gilbarco 900 Series....Thats about all i know. Can anyone tell me more about it. I am in the process of tearing it down and cleaning it and im trying to decide what gas brand to restore it to. The "pennzoil" is just a decal. Is that what brand it was pumping?

I will be at the "Check The Oil" show, so i hope to meet and greet some of ya'.

DSCN1710.JPG
New pump 1

DSCN1713.JPG
New pump 2

DSCN1712.JPG
Last edited by JGRAFF; Fri Jun 25 2010 09:34 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site! Yes, Pennzoil was the brand. Here on the westcoast Pennzoil gasoline was an unknown quantity. I would like to see a restoration of a pump in Pennzoil colors.

In the bookstore here, you will find some great books on our hobby. I suggest you pickup "PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration."

If you are going to look for more pumps, contact Jack Sim at his website and order his 2nd edition of "An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps, Identification and Price Guide". Jack's website is;
http://petrolianacollectibles.com/

You have the photo bit down pat, so we expect photos. We really like photos.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Welcome to oldgas!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome! what a cool pump!i think that's the 1st gilbarco done up in the ol ' "zoil" I've ever seen!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
JGRAFF Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Welcome to the site! Yes, Pennzoil was the brand. Here on the westcoast Pennzoil gasoline was an unknown quantity. I would like to see a restoration of a pump in Pennzoil colors.

In the bookstore here, you will find some great books on our hobby. I suggest you pickup "PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration."

If you are going to look for more pumps, contact Jack Sim at his website and order his 2nd edition of "An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps, Identification and Price Guide". Jack's website is;
http://petrolianacollectibles.com/

You have the photo bit down pat, so we expect photos. We really like photos.

So, if Pennzoil is the brand, is "Octron" part of Pennzoil? Or is it just out of place? I’ve searched a lot and it is hard to find Octron stuff! Also I’d like to know the date it was manufactured. Is that possible by a date code, serial number, or something?

Also, I was hoping I could find those restoration guide books at "Check the Oil". Is that possible? I will be there early Saturday morning. See ya' there!!!!!!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To me, it would have been a Pennzoil pump after it was an Octron pump. Someone here should be able to confirm that Octron was Sohio Brand.

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Welcome to all the trivia and fun facts site. I think Octron was Standard oil.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Octron was a SOHIO brand that went into affect in '72. SOHIO changed the name of their regular grade from Extron to Octron, so it wouldn't be confused with EXXON Oil Company.

When did Pennzoil quit selling gasoline in Ohio?

Seems strange that this pump would have both a Pennzoil decal and SOHIO ad glass. Wonder if someone just placed it in there to fill the space? Does the pump have both ad glass?

I'm not up on the differing sizes of ad glass relating to the different pumps. I do have examples of Extron and Pennzoil ad glass.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
JGRAFF Offline OP
OP Offline
My pump only has one of the Octron ad glass and it is kind of rigged in there, so, i money is on that someone just put it in for a filler. Plus, just by the look/style of the pump, it was probably out of use in the 70's (is that true or false?)

Also, the decal of pennzoil is on both panels. Does anyone have any tricks of getting those decals off in one piece? Can anyone ballpark date this decal? It doesn't have the bell behind the "pennzoil"?

pennzoil 1.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site. Not sure if you can save the decal. they usally rip and flake. You may want to take some good pictures and get measurements of the size of the decal and letters, etc. There are graphics folks who could replicate it. (There is one person who frequents th is site quite often)

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome, my first pump was also a Gilbarco 900 series. Can't remember now if it was a 906 or 996 or something like that. I am happy to say I still have it. Good luck on the restoration.

JGRAFF Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: gasmelincelr
Welcome, my first pump was also a Gilbarco 900 series. Can't remember now if it was a 906 or 996 or something like that. I am happy to say I still have it. Good luck on the restoration.

You still have it? Can i see some pictures?

Well, guess i will not see you guys at "check the oil"
I thought the swap meet would still be in full force on Saturday but i guess its just the auction. bummer!! cry mad cry
Dont they know some of us have to go to work Mon - Fri!!!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Alex
Welcome to the site. Not sure if you can save the decal. they usally rip and flake. You may want to take some good pictures and get measurements of the size of the decal and letters, etc. There are graphics folks who could replicate it. (There is one person who frequents th is site quite often)

T-way. http://www.t-waysgraphics.com/

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am pretty confident the pump was a Sohio pump first, Octron indeed is Sohio.

Many jobbers in Ohio use Pennzoil products and it was probably placed there by one once Sohio went away.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard. Good looking pump. The red, white and blue of Chevron ad glass and globe would go good on that pump.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved