#193037 Fri Jul 02 2010 05:18 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well here goes my rant for the day (I guess I may have woke up on the wrong side of the bed)! It really frustrates me when I get on here, and I see an auction link posted. I feel that half the fun of this hobby is going out and searching for this stuff and when you find a decent auction that you say hey maybe ill be able to pick something decent up for my collection because not too many people know about it is ruined because 75%of the time it ends up on here. I maybe selfish in my thinking but not only does the whole gas community now know about the auction but the little guys who don't have much money have to compete with the big players and it just turns into a money game. Let people go out and find the auctions for themselves let's not spoon feed them the big ticket items. I search everyday for treasure and it just seems a lot of the time i'll find a nice auction, and i'll think im on to something and a week later it ends up on here, and I end up with nothing because it turns into who has more money.

P.S. I understand people who post them are only trying to be nice ,and support the gas and oil community by passing it along but it just takes the fun out of it for me.

By the way good morning and have a nice day.

Jerry

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thanks for posting this auction
publicenemy1925 i appreciate it......i would like it also if i was the only person at this auction but i don't think the seller would appreciate it......whats the difference in sharing the info here versus the newspaper, publications, radio, flyers at shows etc. etc.???

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the link........

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you want to get technical about it Newspaper listings are local most of the time and it's not targeting a specific crowd(like it is posting it on this site), radios the same way, flyers at shows most people pick up a flyer look over it and toss it. Like I said it takes the fun out of hunting and finding a good auction if its just going to be spoon fed to the heavy hitters. We all want to buy something for a bargain.

And if your going to bring "the seller" into this do you give "the seller" Retail value for those big fancy neon signs you buy or do you want it for a bargain?

Jerry

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
These guys are friends of mine and they have a fun auction. Prices are usually average to high but it moves right along at about an item a minute? John and Justin are quite knowledgeable about this stuff. They are expecting to have about 600 lots. Not sure if they'll be online though? I'll definately be there. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LilgasMan32.... sure i want a deal but in todays information age its very difficult to get a deal even on my big fancy neons....i have a couple of buildings of stuff that i have over paid for & yes i have gotten many good deals also..i am sorry that it has taken the fun out of it for you........

P
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
Interesting thought Lilgasman. Last year, I came across a dixie ripple globe at a farm auction here. I did not put it on here because I wanted to have the best chance at it. It was a local auction, small with very little advertisement. John's auctions are very well advertised and I feel that is good to let others on here know about it. I am not going this year but that would not deter me from putting it on here. I enjoy seeing the other auctions from around the country that others put on here. Not trying to ruin anything for anyone, just trying to help others in the community find that treasure they have been searching for. BTW, John is going to have live-internet bidding!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WE would all like to be 1st in line or be called before the auction company is called in, BUT it ain't going to happen.
Posting an auction here doesn't hurt you as much as the 2 Jerks on American Pickers TV show.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Well said Dick, they are killing the market. I tried to buy a Tok 300 and they said I saw it on tv, worth $600.

Thanks, Phil
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ball Auction Service is the auctioneers that had the auction for Seth Robbins for several years and are quite familiar with petrolania. Everybody complained when Seth didn't have his auction now somebody is taking his place in OK. I've bought a lot of items from them, I hope i'm still on their mailing list. JMHO. Mitch

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good Morning Jerry. Hope you woke up on the right side of the bed.Dick said it well. The days of locally advertised auctions are pretty much gone. Lots of "local" auctions are advertised on Auctionzip.com. It's the electronic age we live in. The days of getting a "deal" are pretty much gone. I feel like at any auction there are items that go low and items that go through the roof.Pat.

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
P
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
P
I have a love/hate relationship with the show.

C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
I do enjoy seeing the auctions that are posted on here from all around. Does it get big dollar people involved, Yes. Does it keep the small guy as myself out of the mix ? Sometimes. Does that mean that we are trying to pull the wool over someones eyes as to the value of an item when we go out to buy something ? There probably is a time when I first started that I said I do not know the valve of this when asked by a buyer so that I could get it cheaper. In saying so I offered that it was worth more to some than others. I found that it only took me a couple of times to realize that it is easier to to give a ball park value of high and low and be honest with that person by explaining all that goes into the restoration. Low and behold honesty would usually prevail and you would gain a new business associate and new source for items. The pickers are paid by the TV show to do what we want, ENTERTAIN !
Keeping ones knowledge an item either in an auction or on the road is a personal battle for everyone, because we are all collectors. Good luck to all !!

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
QUOTE:"I feel like at any auction there are items that go low and items that go through the roof".
As a veteran of 35 years of auctions in another industry, I have to agree with Pat here! It makes no difference as to who is there as there are deals at any auction, the problem is to be educated enough to know it when that deal is staring you in the face! If you go with the idea of buying a certain piece, you may have trouble getting a deal because you never know whos interested in what?
To have an auction go unadvertised or unnoticed, would do the industry more harm than good! A bunch of poor prices at an auction sends out waves of bad publicity that are very far reaching and leaves the taste of uncertainty spread everywhere! On the other hand, a good sale is always heard about but has a harder time spreading the news than a poor one does.
To cap it off here--I'd much rather operate in a crowded and upbeat market any day, than in a depressed buy it all for nothing type of enviornment! There would be absolutely NO enjoyment in being the only winner. I hope all auctions are well publicised and prices are higher than ever! I plan on being well educated and standing in the front row, learning as much as I can so that I'm ready when its my turn!--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved