Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hey folks, I've got the opportunity to look at some wonderfully restored pumps from a personal collection. Justwondering how far up the avererage market value goes up on a professional restoration as opposed ot a price given in Jack's book? I assume with the rarer pumps the sky is the limit but I was curious what you'll thought. Like a Wayne 40 or 60 professionally restored mint for an example. What would be a decent price to pay for a beautiful one?

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Professionally" restored also has many variables & quality. At the higher end shows they will be trying to recover some of the entry cost of spaces, transportation, hotel etc. vs professionally restored out of his garage/shop.
As you said "the sky is the limit". It's what you feel comfortable paying.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eric--I was recently offered 2 Wayne 40's that are professionally restored, for $2500 each(good buy).
Consider these factors--A Wayne 60 can generally be bought for around $1200, depending on type and condition, but lets use $1200 as a purchase price. Add in the cost of some restoration parts(about $500) --body shop costs ($1000) and labor for the man assembling and organizing the whole project($500). These are conservative estimates and many factors can influence these prices but I believe them to be fairly accurate(from experience).
This leaves you a basis of $3200 into a restored Wayne 60. I have seen them sell at auction for around that figure and I've seen them sell both higher and lower. Theres a lot of variance to be placed with the quality of the worksmanship when considering your purchase! High quality costs more!
In the end, like Dick said, its all what you feel comfortable paying for it but I feel a price range from $2200 to $3200 should catch most Wayne 60's. Wayne 40's will be higher but watch out for the computers on the 40's as a rebuild could run as high as $500 depending on condition again.
Hope this helps and when you finally get your purchase done, we expect to see pictures! We love pictures!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
So a rough good reference is about double the value listed in Jack Sim's book for a (professional) restored pump.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Barret jackson typical tall electric 5500+ which should be 2800. At lesser auctions dial price down by 30%+. I have sold Wayne 60's with all original trim replated, body flawless, objectively, for 4850 at an auction. Where the money is plus add the degree of impulse buy after they just spent 125 on a 67 Shelby GT500 and you may be ok.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Double the value is OK for the lower end pumps but when you buy a 10 thou pump, you can't double its value because its restored!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
eric if the pumps you are talking about are in the dick metz collection which are up for auction this weekend in nh. i am the fellow that did those pumps pedal cars and candy machines if you have any questions just pm me and i will help you all i can dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
hiya dave.nice ta see ya!!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One can never base pricing and worth on what does and does not sell at Barrett-Jackson auctions. I have seen "tons" of items go back home on the trailers of sellers who thought that buyers would just throw money at them for their items. "Speed Channel" and the internet doesn't show the end of auction "breakdown", where sellers are crying about how their items didn't sell.

Been there and done that, with equipment and a couple of the race cars.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Dave those pumps look great nice work smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
hi mick only a lurker some times to much anger on this sight thanks gas oil dude some body is going to get some great deals on those pumps dick has a hell of a nice collection sorry to see it go but his health is gojng and he dosent want to leave it on his wife later dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you buy a roman for 10 you better double the price to sell when restored nicely or at least I hope so.

Kris Strong
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My assumption is that you are tying to determine if it is worth restoring the pump to make money.

For years I have been trying to tell people that it is not the amount of profit, but the percent of profit that determines if you are making money.

If you buy a pump for $500 and sell it, as is, for $1000, you made 100% on your investment.

If you were the one who bought it for the $1000, put $500 into it restoring it and sold it for $2000 you only made 25% on your investment. Actually you may have been able to sell the $1000 pump for $1500, selling it as, making the same amount of profit, also increasing your percent of profit to 50%.

Also, consider these factors. 1. The higher the price of the item, the less people can afford it. 2. Guaranteed, after restoring a pump to Texaco, the first guy to look at it will say, "I would buy that if it was in Shell colors."

Bob Richards: I personally know someone who has set up at BJ for years and the reason the sellers are putting their stuff back in the trailers is that it is sold. The buyers at BJ are not driving pick-ups, they are coming in private jets and they are not going to take their purchases back with them. The sellers take the stuff back home, pack it up and ship it to the buyer. The guy I know reguarally sells 90% of the stuff he takes to BJ, plus he has taken orders for as much as $250,000 of stuff to be delivered during the next year. The last time I heard, the rent in a tent for a week at BJ is over $10,000.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unfortunately your guy who sells 90% has BJ buy the short hairs for now and threatens if new vendor knocks on the door. That stinks. Maybe now that BJ is restoring and selling their own pumps through the auctions, which bring less then what the vendors sell them for on average, they will consider opening the doors to toerh guys. Probably not just my dream.

Kris Strong
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Just to ad a note. I went down three years ago to secure a booth that I was told was between 10,000 -20,000.00. That was the year that I was also told only four of the regulars that sold old stuff would be grandfathered in to still do it. The rest would have to sell repro stuff and the original others would be in the auction. Great to go down to learn that, free enterprise at its best.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Eric,

I think Jack's book lists a Tok tall 39 at $450.I've turned down $1,800 on mine.Twice.That's a bit more than double.Just my experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved