Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Just completed restoration of my two Southwest model 812 pumps (era 1936-1937). I did one in Polly Gas and the other Polly Ethyl. It was very hard finding these two pumps, I really like the art deco lines of the pumps. The only changes that I'm doing is trimming/removing the bird stand peg that protrudes below the Polly Ethyl decal, the other decal on the other pump doesn't have it (different vendors). Also I may go with a different ad glass "Polly Ethyl" or add the round Ethyl decal below the Parrot, but that may be too many Ethyl logos, and leave the pumps as is. Thanks to all the vendors who helped me on this project. The Polly Ethyl globe and decal were special custom orders. Overall I'm happy with how the pumps came out.

pumps from front.JPG pumps from R.JPG 101_0980 (2) (2).jpg 101_0981 (2).jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
OP Offline
Here are the before pics of the Southwest Pumps I restored in Polly Gas and Polly Ethyl

DSCN0352.JPG DSCN0356.JPG DSCN0358.JPG DSCN0359.JPG
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
anthony--welcome to the site---did a outstanding job--lots of work

looks like your right off the freeway--i need to find you send you a pm great job--ruben

looking for spanish gas signs
OP Offline
Hi Ruben, Thanks. The before pics are in Texas (close to Waco) where I found the pumps. I only wish I had all those coolers and pumps in the background. I live in Sacramento, CA.

In the before pics, you can see off to the left a Canada Dry Spur soda machine/cooler. It's next in line for restoration. It's a Heintz C2P model. It is pictured on the front cover of the book "Classic Soda Machines, A Field Reference and Price Guide, 3rd edition, by Jeff Walters". It should look nice close to my Polly Pumps.

I'm a military helicopter pilot (Blackhawk) with the California National Guard and was at Ft Hood, TX for a few weeks earlier this year and in my spare time I went out driving around looking for old cars, pumps, etc and was very lucky to find the two southwest pumps and Spur soda cooler. I also collect old cars from the 1930s-1940s.

DSCN0356.JPG
Last edited by Anthony Montano; Wed Oct 06 2010 10:16 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anthony--Fantastic Job! Great attention to detail! That always adds to the "finished" look of a restoration! Congratulations!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice Anthony, you did a wonderful job! They look great as the pair. The Ethyl ad glass might add something to it but I wouldn't add the other decal.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
OP Offline
Yes, I think an Ethyl Ad glass may enhance the pump.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love the POLLY!!! Great job.
How many pumps can fit in a Blackhawk? That would be so cool to land in a farmer's field, load up a pump, soda pop cooler and other goodies and head on home.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job ! what a killer pair of pumps! love the detail!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Anthony Welcome to Old Gas! Those pumps look great. I like how you put the red on the sides of the pumps. It adds to the pump nice job smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tony I'm not far from ft hood, TX at all & very familiar with the area! I have over twenty pre- 1950's cars & trucks & FLATHEADS & bigblocks inclines TONS OF HARD TO FIND PARTS & engines????? ! im sending you a pm now! WELCOME TO OLDGAS!

Last edited by DIESEL; Wed Oct 06 2010 11:53 AM.

CHRIS
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
looks like you got that from Larry Wingate in West, TX off of I-35.

OP Offline
I can fit two gas pumps in a Blackhawk.

OP Offline
The sides of the pumps are more of an orange (looks like red in picture)

OP Offline
Yes, I got the pumps and Spur cooler from Larry Wingate in West, TX off of I-35. He had one Southwest pump, which I bought and during the restoration he found me a 2nd one. He's a great guy to work with, highly recommend. I haven't seen any Southwest Pumps model 812s prior to my trip in Texas, they do pop ever now and then, very few pictures on the internet and hard to find parts. Ron Scobie was the only one I could find who had some extra parts, face plates, tags, emblems, etc. The Spur Soda cooler I guess is also pretty rare (4.75 rarity scale). I'l post pics once the cooler gets done.

Last edited by Anthony Montano; Wed Oct 06 2010 07:23 PM.
OP Offline
Hello Chris, send me a line and your phone number to my email: anthony_montano@hotmail.com. I visted a few classic car yards when I was there at Ft hood in April. I may have visted your place. I plan on heading back there in late October. Maybe I can drop by.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I THOUGHT THAT LOOKED LIKE LARRYS PLACE YOU DID GOOD ON THOSE! I SENT MY INFO,IF YOU CLICK ON THE LITTLE FLASHING PIECE OF MAIL ON MAIN SCREEN IT SHOULD FORWARD YOU TO YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES !I WILL ALSO EMAIL YOU AS WELL & ATTACH PHOTOS OF OUR OL BONEYARD OF OLD CARS TO GIVE YOU A IDEA OF WHAT WE HAVE! TAKE CARE!

CHRIS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Actually, Southwest pumps in Texas wern't all that rare back in the 70's and 80's . I would see them all over . Martin & Swartz model 70's were common with Mobil franchises too......... That was then , now is well, tomorrow ! Ed Shaver

Last edited by eshaver; Wed Oct 06 2010 05:18 PM.

see ya on the road folks !
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Looks great!Very nice work.Thanks for the pictures!Mark

OP Offline
Thanks Ed, not sure why they're rare now, maybe because they were maybe used mainly in Texas, parts are scarce, even pics on the internet are scarce as compared to the other pump models. I just love them, very nice Art Deco look.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Great looking pumps! Now lets see pictures of the pumps in the Blackhawk grin

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice job !! I always liked the look of the Southwest pumps -even unrestored!!Look under for sale Greg in MI. is selling a pair plus a parts pump.
Take care,
Rob

OP Offline
Yes, Thanks for the info on the other southwest pumps. I contacted Greg and I am buying the parts pump. I am going to make it into a oil can stand, cut it about in half in height, with a globe sign and overhanging lamp, and using "Polly Motor Oil" flat sign in a globe housing and using "Polly Motor Oil" decals on the front and rear removable panels. The decals and paint (black, green, orange, yello) will match my other two pumps. I'll post pics when it gets done (month or two)

photo2kf.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! Thatn sounds like a neat project!! Looking foreward to the pictures! Don't forget!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Nice job on the pumps and the oil can cabinet sounds cool.

Thanks for your service.

Ed
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Beautiful job on Southwest pumps.

Black hawk helicopter good way to spot signs and pumps from the air to look down in peoples back yards and off the beatin path. Cover a lot ground that way.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
nice...very nice.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Nice job Anthony.
Not sure what I want more, your pumps or a Blackhawk!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and supporting my military service (going on 23 years in military). Yes, the Blackhawk is more fun, however wonder if I could photoshop the Blackhawk getting refuel from the Polly Pumps, hmmm??? Can't wait to get started on the oil can stand. I will post pics.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
WOW!! Your pumps are outstanding. I, myself looked for many years before finding an 812, which was in Michigan. I finished restoration on mine-Polly also-last year. The 812 has great art deco silhouette and atyling.

Robert Usrey
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is my SW 812...

Robert Usrey
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice. Even a custom made show case pump "WOW"

OP Offline
Robert, Great Job on your Southwest Pump as well. I like your showcase and your custom Polly globe. My Oil can stand will be a little different, I'm using another Southwest Pump, cutting it down in height, basicaly removing the height of the faceplate (about a foot), I'm keeping the add glass, and below the add glass will be removable panel showing off the oil cans, both 1 gt and 5 qt Polly Motor Oil. For the top, I'm installing a Wayne 585 stationliter, with Polly Motor Oil sign in the globe housing. It will be painted to match the other two pumps. I hope to have it down in 1-2 months. I'll post pics when it's done.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Southwest 812's and Polly colors...it doesn't get any better!!

Robert Usrey
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey, don't cut the pump down just add more shelves. I can guarantee you'll fill every shelf up with your can collection in the future.
Mike

OP Offline
Have to cut it down. I want to use the staionliter on top, besides I only have 111" to work with (height of my garage). I want to be able to display the pump set and oil stand inside and outsie when I go to shows. But I do know what you mean, thanks.

OP Offline
Greetings from Iraq, update on the matching Polly Motor Oil Can stand (making it out of matching Southwest Pump and stationliter on top). It still in progress with Larry in Texas, but here are some pics of some of the things done thus far, Custom Globe, ad glass, decals, 1qt and 5 qt cans done in both POLLY PENN and POLLY PREM. I even got a matching ad glass for the Polly Gas Ethyl Pump. It should be done by the time I get home this coming mid Nov 2011.

Polly_Prem_Motor_Oil.jpg pollypennprem5qts.jpg Poly-Prem-Wayne-70-Ad-Glass[1].JPG Poly-Ethyl-Wayne-70-Ad-Glass.jpg
OP Offline
My Polly Gas Pumps and matching Polly Motor Oil can rack stand are finally done. All were made using three Southwest Pumps Model 812, the oil can rack was shortened in height so it would fit in my garage with the stationliter atop. The oil rack stand has a removable panel, and we used a light bulb with overhead shield instead of the fuel sight glass for better illumination at night. Look at the before picture, where you can see one of the original Southwest pumps, and if you look to the left, you will see an unrestored cooler, it's the rare Canada Dry Spur Cooler. All three pumps and cooler were restored by Larry Wingate in Abbott, TX.

photo.JPG photo2.JPG photo3.JPG DSCN0356.JPG Canada_Dry.1.JPG
Last edited by Anthony Montano; Mon Nov 26 2012 03:15 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, They look really nice...think they might change my mind on the model pumps I like. smile

Last edited by Nicole; Mon Nov 26 2012 12:16 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved