Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gas globe, dog, leaf blower, old rusty chain, gas pump, pine straw bales, bike, jewelry, cat, gas grill, camcorder, lunch box, half gallon of liquor, scattergun, whatever??? No matter WHAT it is, or WHERE it is, it can be stolen by ANYBODY..... You can never be too cautious ...... I guess the only thing that comes to mind right off that couldn't be stolen is a block foundation house..... but I'm sure that has happened somewhere, at sometime...... always gonna be thieves. I fully understand the American Pickers comment - good, fun, relative show at first, but when you really think about it, it is an outsider/leach for us that live this lifestyle..... and collecting is just that if you do it at any serious level, it becomes a lifestyle. Peace in the middle east ! Take Care, Whatever ......

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Might as well add the "Antiques Road Show ","Sotheby's Auction House", etc., to that list to blame,,We all need to look after and protect out valuables.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hopefully these will show up and the crooks will get some jail time...and Wes will get back his globes and his van fixed...Normally crooks are stupid...which leads to them getting busted smile

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The stealing of globes, pumps, and various other collectibles never happened before American Pickers came around.

A real shame because I liked that show.

Seriously though, with a bad economy and people being hard up for money, ALL my stuff is inside, complete with deabolts and security system. Not to mention we have the Castle Law in Ohio if you catch my drift. Don't come around here with ill intent.

Too bad about the globes..will definately keep an eye out.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well, there have been a whole lot of thefts actually , right many have been previously discussed and reported on this here site. Quite a few people here in North Carolina and Virginia have had some thefts. I know of some really large ones in the western part of the state and in northern Virginia. It's always been going on..... but it just doesn't help the collectors.... say what you will; An "education" can be dangerous. MDHIII

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
will keep my eyes open for them tom. chris

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
We had about five different break-ins in Ontario stealing gasoline collectibles but none that I'm aware of for the last five years or so... these were all about 7-10 yrs. ago... we had a rash of them then, we kinda figure the stuff all went south as none of it ever showed up in Ontario..mostly signs...

Wes.......
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
Ryan, I figured that's what he was getting at but blaming American Pickers for some else's wrong doing is ridiculous.
Tom said they tried to steal the van. Pretty hard to make the connection to the pickers on that! The blame belongs solely with the low lifes that committed the crime!!!! Shows like American Pickers will keep allot of stuff we collect from going to the landfill or scrap yard.

The Picker's drive a van. Coincidence? I think not.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Thanks Everyone for keeping your eyes open for them...
Wes had unloaded his van after the last show BUT kept 5 globes in the van to try to sell them to a couple local friends...
He had 2 martin, 1 clark, pure and a metro....
He thinks he startled the crooks by waking to pee in the middle of the night...Thus they grabbed and ran...
But they had the steering column all messed up and broke turn signals in an effort to steal the van...
Here are pics ...They took the martin globe with a little wear around BOTH lenses BUT left this MINT one??? They also left a Clark globe???

pics from the book of pure and metro globes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Honestly I can't believe the thieves were after the globes. They were after the van.... and took the easiest items available once they were found out.

If the van had belonged to a mechanic they would have stolen tools, a plumber tools and copper pipe, an electrician tools and copper wire.... etc.

Since I joined Oldgas almost 6 years ago, there have been alerts notifying members to look out for stolen signs, globes and pumps. This was long before American Pickers ever was on paper, let alone on-air.

Theft happens everyday and since we are all proud of our items we display them. Not hard for a thief to comprehend that if something is displayed it is probably worth some scratch. If it were dusty stuck in a closet or underneath a bed it wouldn't catch anyone's eye. Add lighting to the item and a display case...

Wasn't it just last year that a large Pegasus was stolen off a building? BEFORE American Pickers was on the air? Don't blame a TV program, because some people feel the need to take something that belongs to someone else.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Of all things to steal @ Chip's Dixie Gas, I heard BBQ lost his CABLES !
Makes you wonder why.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It doesen't matter what you own,
there is always someone who would be more than happy to steal it from you.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I can and a lot of others on here can remember when this stuff was of no or little value, all of it. What happened to the "hobby" and how did every day junk get so valuable? Repro's, insurance,unmarked, fake, never heard that 25 yrs ago, just one lying fraud dipstick that unfortunately still is breathing. The hobby that we all started was intercepted by greed, period.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob: That Pegasus sign was stoen in Shelby, MT in broad daylight off a 30 ft building. Rumor has it that it is in Kalispell, MT, but the police have indicated there is not enough evidence. Probably gone by now. I don't blame american pickers, but it does help educate the crooks. I work in the utility business and whe copper skyrocketed a while back, we have had rolls of copper wire stolen. Seems to happen after their are news reports on the prices. Can't blame the reporters.

I got a phone call today from someone wanting to sell me a pump, said they saw one similar on pickers. They knew I collect stuf. So, thanks to pickers, I got a lead.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Well none of that will be happening here......thank god for my 3 friends smith,wesson,and colt........

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved