Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I put an ash tray full of cigarette butts in the office and now it smells like cigerattes. How do I get that old gas station smell?
Thanks
Rick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FIND AN OLD PUMP OR 4 WITH THE GUTS AND HOPE THAT THERE'S ENUFF OLDGAS STILL INSIDE FOR YOU TO POUR INTO AN OLD EMPTY CLEANER BOTTLE WITH THE PUMP ACTION TRIGGER. SPRAY IT AROUND THE ROOM LET IT SETTLE OF THINGS...LET IT WORK SOME MAGIC. REPEAT AT LEAST EVERY TIME THE SCENT GETS A.W.O.L. LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick the easiest way to get that "old gas station smell" is to take an old shop rag and work on the engine of any old rig. Then without washing it, stick it in the corner. Unbelievable how fast a room will attain the smell of old oil and gas.

Funny how one gets use to that smell. When I worked in the Flying A station as a young man it was so funny to watch the faces of the people who came into the office. (but at that age, everything was funny) If you aren't prepared for the "wall of odor", it is real easy to get overpowered by it. Especially the ladies.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get a Ice Cream Pail 1/2 full of used Oil and put that in the corner, then set a small container of Gas next to it also.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll send you my right sneaker that I spilled gas on last week, It still smells. Like Gas that is.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
don't forget some gear lube and old anti-freeze on the rag! better yet put it on an old soft wood board, rags do like to catch fire especially around smokers. tt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd use an old 5qt can w/o top instead of an Ice Cream pail w/ used motor oil. Less chance it will leak later.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Funny how many want that "vintage gas station" smell. LOL

I put a couple old rags in a 5 gallon "bulk fluid" can. If they ever do catch on fire they are already in a metal pail. (my rags aren't soaked or anything. I just check the oil and clean the dip stick. Do the same with the transmission dip stick, using a clean spot on the rag. Wipe down the engine a little on my lawn mower for any gas that spills when I fill the tank.

Perfection. Or as my former girlfriend stated, your garage smells like an old garage. Music to my ears.LOL

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
ahhh one more thing DOT 3 just a little.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rick,
It's better to get it by the quart, 1/4 cup sound like you want to put a bakery in the back! Might not be a bad ideal.LOL

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
amazing!!someone wants that "old gas station smell" man you should hear maria after i pull the guts out of an old pump.she makes me sleep in the garage for a couple days!! i gotta agree with that one!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It has been my experience that "Mom and Pop" grocery/gas stations didn't smell the same as vintage gas stations.

"Mom and pops" had those great smells of; hams and cured meats, smoky cheeses, tobacco, dry goods and the such. (used to go into them as a child during the early 50s and 60s and then later when we were dragging the race cars back and forth across the US in the 80s and 90s)

Where as old stations had smells from the lube rack, oil and gas that leaked onto the concrete floors in service bays along with tranny and rear pumpkins that leaked, radiators that "gave up the ghost" etc...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Devil "gave up the ghost". I'm really Glad as Bob is still mowing grass instead of Fertilizing it!

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
boy if they had an inside pit........ that could be nasty!!!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am "almost" to embarrassed to show the restroom in the shop. I cleaned it once. But it has the crudy rust stained toilet look that I remember of some in the past. You guys came up with some great ideas. I think I would also like to start a outboard boat motor in there once a month. What a smorgasbord of aroma's you guys have created.
Thanks for the help
Rick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are you sure it ain't skid marks from the Boogy Nose Picker?

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well OK!!! It isnt a real toilet! I was just digging in a dumpster one day and found a nice unbroken toilet. Since we never had one and the kids was after me for years to get one I tought I could just set it right there on the floor and the kids could show all thier little friends That the Nelson's DO HAVE A TOILET. HAA we are kinda up town like. Onlys all thier little friends are affraid to come up here DICK. It wasnt me I swear ya got to believe me I aint even lying this time

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hillsideshortleg
Well OK!!! It isnt a real toilet! I was just digging in a dumpster one day and found a nice unbroken toilet. Since we never had one and the kids was after me for years to get one I tought I could just set it right there on the floor and the kids could show all thier little friends That the Nelson's DO HAVE A TOILET. HAA we are kinda up town like. Onlys all thier little friends are affraid to come up here DICK. It wasnt me I swear ya got to believe me I aint even lying this time

LMAO! Rick you kill me. Oh , Got to go , my sides hurtin!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey shortlegs, post your addy so those of us that have some can send it to ya [old gas station smellies] !
Might be surprised @ what will be Delivered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved