Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#220257 Mon Dec 20 2010 10:09 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Several years ago I posted this photo of actual sepia drawing of a decal from G&B engineering dept. dated 3-17-1930. Everything is authentic with draftsman's name, date, etc. There's a note that this layout is to be dark blue & white.
Does anyone know of RAROLENE? I've got it framed. It's beautiful to look at, but I'm wondering if it should be used for a fantasy globe or something? Logo is actual 12" diameter. Anyone have some ideas? Sam

001.JPG
Great actual size drawing

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WEIRD TO HAVE A TRAIN ON GASOLINE & OILS SIGN/LOGO. MAKES ONE THINK MORE RAILROAD THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very nice!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey doc: I am n ot sure it is any weirder than having an oil can with a lady flying on a duck. LOL i wonder if it was a brand that was going to specialiize in railtoad oils and greases or if they were saying that it would be dependable like a locomotive.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's an awesome drawing that could have historical significance!
Why would you even consider having it repopped? Too much damned repro and fantasy ***** already ruining the hobby already. If there are any Rarolene globes or signs in existence, reproducing them will hurt their value! Enjoy your drawing or sell it to someone that can appreciate it for what it is. The people making repro's and fantasy JUNK won't be satisfied until they have repopped everything COLLECTORS have worked and invested in to preserve history just so the DECORATORS don't have to invest the time or money to find and purchase an original.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Alex #220267 Mon Dec 20 2010 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Within the last couple of years, PCM had a Bad pic of something similar on a globe in an old photograph & had asked if anyone knew anything.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The first experiments with oil fired locomotives were conducted by the Santa Fe working with Union Oil Co in the mid-1890's

Union Oil was based in Santa Paula, CA which is on the SP line that then went to Santa Barbara. They took locomotives to Santa Paula for the testing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That has killer graphics..may of been a company that never got off the ground or was bought out

RANDY
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
If it were mine I would never have shown it. Well said Bob ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Unfortunately there's no name of company that G&B was doing this for. A note says, "furnished by customer". Also in legend at bottom corner it says "decalcomania". Sam

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THATS GOOD STUFF THERE,VERY NICE GRAPHICS!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15
That's an awesome drawing that could have historical significance!
Why would you even consider having it repopped? Too much damned repro and fantasy ***** already ruining the hobby already. If there are any Rarolene globes or signs in existence, reproducing them will hurt their value! Enjoy your drawing or sell it to someone that can appreciate it for what it is. The people making repro's and fantasy JUNK won't be satisfied until they have repopped everything COLLECTORS have worked and invested in to preserve history just so the DECORATORS don't have to invest the time or money to find and purchase an original.

Well Said Bob, There is no time like NOW to do what we can to stop any more Repro ***** from being made, There is plenty enough out there now to satisfy the "decorators"

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
So . . . who's going to sell me their original Polly or Gilmore lenses cheap?

After all, there have been those crappy reproductions available for over 20 years now. I ought to be able to get a set of originals for a couple of hundred dollars a pair.

NOT!

Later . . .

Jim

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I WILL BID 300 !!!! LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: T-way

After all, there have been those crappy reproductions available for over 20 years now. I ought to be able to get a set of originals for a couple of hundred dollars a pair.

NOT!

Later . . .

Jim

If repops were never made they may very well have been worth 20,000-30,000 now. They guaranteed would be much desirable if your only choice was an original set.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
That statement was hard to understand. There are pro and cons to both sides of this. I can't afford the originals and even the repros are getting expensive when you decorate. Sorry but I like the look of the lenses and globes in the garage. I do understand the frustration though of repros though, ask the pedal car people about that.

Craig
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Now that is very cool. I like it a lot smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool logo, never heard of RAROLENE.

Originally Posted By: KZ1000
If repops were never made they may very well have been worth 20,000-30,000 now.

Gilmore lenses ARE 20-30K now, with reproductions having been on the market for years. In this case, I'd say there has been no affect on the value of originals.

Last edited by GILMORE; Mon Dec 20 2010 10:53 PM.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
By G&B, do you mean Gilbert & Barker?

If so, I have over 1500 original blue prints from the Bennett Pump Co., never went through all of them. Many of them have to do with pump colors and placement of signs and decals, all from between 1925 and 1935. Possibly there is some mention of this company.
I have always wished I could find any evidence of a pump company making or designing decals. I personally don't believe they ever did, I believe any sign, decal or ad glass, placed on a pump at the pump factory, was supplied by the buyer.
This is why companies like Bennett and Wayne had their own ad glass (remember "Drive Safely") to put on pumps that were going out to service station equipment dealers.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Train looks like the one on my Fast Mail can. Hard oil by Pure oil. Sorry for the crappy pic....

100_1193.jpg
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Originally Posted By: T-way

NOT!

Later . . .

Jim

If repops were never made they may very well have been worth 20,000-30,000 now. They guaranteed would be much desirable if your only choice was an original set.

Since T-Way clearly marks his so that everyone knows they are not original lenses and he owns the copyrights to all of them what is wrong with that?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I collect original globes and signs. I do have a couple repops for outside pumps from T-way. They serve a purpose AS LONG AS THEY ARE CLEARLY MARKED! My pittman is a single lens globe I gave over 10,000 for a couple years ago, and I now have a "T-way" pittman on the back that is marked. No one see's the back and it makes the globe not want to fall over. I could not see anyone putting a 10,000 dollar globe on a pump outside. Yes, I see both points but it is the UNMARKED REPO crud that hurts, not the stuff that is clearly marked and dated. As a globe collector turned sign collector turned can collector, I feel there is a place, and not all people have the money to enjoy the real high end collectibles. When I started collecting 18 years ago my budget was 350 dollars for a globe, so look where time, making more money, and other factors got me now. I feel the biggest threat is NOT guys like T-Way making needed items, but the shizzzzz coming from overseas. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by roger cherry; Tue Dec 21 2010 08:00 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My point is if there were only original Polly's out there, and no repops available. Wouldn't it be cool to see one and know you are looking at a rare original item.
With repops available everywhere, who cares anymore.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KZ1000, I totally agree, but the world we live in is dominated by "supply and demand". $$$$$ makes the world go around so we just have to get used to it. Yea, it would be cool, but that reality will probably never come to pass. All we can do is hope that the people making them will start to mark them as such.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I know why we have reproduction globes. I'm glad we have them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
EARTHQUAKE in IL.?
Another good reason to have things Anchored down, wind, tornado or earthquake regions.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ouch!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Boy that just jumps right out at you. Not even mine and I felt bad.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Big time ouch! cry

Was JJ in the neighborhood? confused

Well,someone had to ask.... grin blush

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ouch , that had to have hurt..................... in more ways than one too !!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
It's not as important as to what happens to you as it is how you react to it. It could have been a lot worse. Remarkably the skins were untouched. A new acrylic cylinder, a new reproduction dome top and a reproduction globe and I'm back to new again. I figured 4 guys lifting it into place that it was heavy enough to not blow over. My Tokheim 39 stood there for 6 years and never moved. I guess 11'3" tall makes a lot better sail than a 7' square block. It's only money,it's only money,it's only money I keep telling myself. $500 could have bought me a nice globe. I'll never put another pump outside without anchor bolts. Live and learn.

MB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Home owners ins. might have paid for damage

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow is that broken clear glass and tear drops....

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Homeowners deductable was just a little less than the damage.

MB
M
M
we had a big storm come by to visit this summer and it blew the globe off a pump I have out side. I found it in my scrap pile the capco body was busted up were the screws hold it down the wind just ripped it off the pump.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey Jim,,, I agree with you 100%,,,,well said, good original signs, globes etc. never go down in value. I mean good stuff with great graphics not common stuff,, your right anyone want to sell their rare original stuff please contact either Jim or myself or anyone else out there that appreciates original ? The reason most of the common stuff hasn't gone up or has gone down is that since Ebay and alot of new collectors/sellers have gotton into this hobby it brings more of the common stuff out. Repro stuff has made everyone more educated in the hobby, now it's not a no brainer buying stuff you need to be smart.People have been reproducing antiques since the Mona Lisa/ Rembrandt days,,, this is nothing new ...

Wes.......
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
That hard oil can is sweet smile
Mike did that happen this year? We have had some wicked winds this year!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
That date on the picture is accurate. It was Oct 26. We had fearousous winds.

MB
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There is no question that this is the image used by Railroad Jones Oil Company of Winston-Salem, NC. I went back and compared it to the image on the globe that I ran in PCM several years ago. The train image is identical, although the wording of this image is different from that on the globe.
Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Wayne.
I emailed Scott this morning about it. Took some looking, pictured in PCM April 2008, pg 34 for anyone that sill has that issue.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I do recall seeing that picture...my dad, who collects Pure Oil items, was happy to see it! This map is from 1931.

1931 SE States Railroad Jones.jpg
Last edited by mapper; Thu Dec 23 2010 07:39 AM.

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved