Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223723 - Wed Jan 05 2011 07:41 PM Cities service pump colors
glammers36 Offline

Loc: minnesota
Hi, All, I am new to this forum. Years ago I aquired a Tokhiem model 300 pump. It was a Cities Service pump with ad glass. I always had a plan to restore it. so when I got it I dissasembled it, and had it sandblasted and then put primer on it. not thinking to take a picture of it. now I have some time to restore it. Does anyone know where I could find a photo or referance to what colors it should be? thanks

Greg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#223735 - Wed Jan 05 2011 08:04 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: glammers36]
eshaver Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: richmond , Virginia
Greg, Milemaster regular was a Grass Green . Premium 5-D was a Krylon Red . Then , for a brief time between 1956 and 1959 , Cities Service had 100 + a Ultra Premium in a Bright Yellow I don't have the P P G charts but I could go through a chip book an tell ya what looked right . Ed Shaver

#223741 - Wed Jan 05 2011 08:31 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: glammers36]
Oldgas Online   cool

Loc: South of St. Louis, MO USA
Here is a picture of a Gilbarco gas pump with original paint from the 1947-1956 Cities Service color scheme standard. Pay no attention to the Conoco ad glass. This is a Cities Service pump. This is the green regular version. The red/white premium color scheme was the same stripes and two tone.

There are 1100 color scheme pictures in the PCM Guide to Gas Pump Restoration if you can find a copy of the book. A digital CD version of that book is in the works, but no release date has been set.

Attachments
gilbarco97-citiesservice.jpg

Description: Gilbarco 97 Cities Service color scheme with misplaced Conoco ad glass

#223819 - Thu Jan 06 2011 10:20 AM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: Oldgas]
lv2xlr8 Offline

Loc: IL
Thanks for posting the picture, Oldgas! I have a Tokhiem 39 that was Cities Service before being rebadged as CITGO. I can still see a little of the green stripes, so it is really cool to see more of what it really looked like!

#223824 - Thu Jan 06 2011 11:07 AM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: Oldgas]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
Here is a picture of a Gilbarco gas pump with original paint from the 1947-1956 Cities Service color scheme standard. Pay no attention to the Conoco ad glass. This is a Cities Service pump. This is the green regular version. The red/white premium color scheme was the same stripes and two tone.

There are 1100 color scheme pictures in the PCM Guide to Gas Pump Restoration if you can find a copy of the book. A digital CD version of that book is in the works, but no release date has been set.

...which Dixie Gas is that photo from?

#223860 - Thu Jan 06 2011 04:32 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: gulfiend!]
Oldgas Online   cool

That was Fall 2004. Wish I would have bought that pump.

#223861 - Thu Jan 06 2011 04:36 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: Oldgas]
eshaver Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: richmond , Virginia
You should have Jim, ya just don't see those G & B Clock dials ! Ed Shaver

#223866 - Thu Jan 06 2011 05:13 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: eshaver]
Terry Flannery Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Goodman WI USA
Kelly green, Snap-ON red, chevy white, will make em sparkle

#223947 - Thu Jan 06 2011 09:59 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: Oldgas]
glammers36 Offline

Thanks Jim! thats exactly what I was looking for. Mine was a Premium Pump, I know cause the original Adglass has "Cities Service Premium" on it. So I am going to Paint it just like the photo except red stripes. thanks Again for the picture.
I will be sure to post a photo when I am done.

Greg

#223948 - Thu Jan 06 2011 10:03 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: eshaver]
glammers36 Offline

Thanks Ed,
so the red is Krylon red. what do think the white was? was the white more a cream color? or off white?
Thanks again for your help.

Greg Lammers

#223965 - Fri Jan 07 2011 12:48 AM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: glammers36]
Jack Sim Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
I remember trying to sandblast one of the pumps pictured above, and if I remember correctly, the green was a decal, it was not paint.

Jack Sim

#224162 - Sat Jan 08 2011 08:42 AM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: glammers36]
Garage-A-GoGo Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Midwest
I think this may be exactly what you are looking for.
Hope it helps.... you have to look real good at the top of the faces you can see where the paint or decal or whatever has faded away.
Jim

Attachments
Cities Serv s.jpg

Cities noz s.jpg

Cities Site s.jpg

#224163 - Sat Jan 08 2011 08:43 AM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: Garage-A-GoGo]
gasoildude Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oneida IL USA
That Tokheim looks good with that patina on it smile

#224181 - Sat Jan 08 2011 09:26 AM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: gasoildude]
Oldgas Online   cool

The Tokheim 300 pictured above does have remnants of stripes on the upper sides and doors just above the face. Those may have been painted over because the Cities Service color scheme standard for 1956-1965 had no stripes in that area, but had a colored top. I think that pump may have started out with the '47-'56 color scheme and was upgrade repainted to the '56-'65 scheme, now worn and faded.

#224317 - Sat Jan 08 2011 10:35 PM Re: Cities service pump colors [Re: Oldgas]
Garage-A-GoGo Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Midwest
Thanks for the complement and the info! The pump i.d. plate has 11-55 stamped in it so that would make sense.
I am missing the ad glass on the other side if anyone has one they would like to get rid of!
Thanks again... this site is a wealth of knowledge!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved