Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
I HAD a chance ( a few years ago)of a friend who's parents were old farmers who had quite a few old gas pumps(all gone now,and on display at a resteraunt)But i checked just to make sure,and they have nothing left.Now my question is,where can someone get a "shell" for a cheap price(besides Ebay,their prices get way to expensive) and i cannot spend that much right now.I am just looking to spend alot of time on it(more time than money)It really doesnt matter on what brand it is.I mean,i can get parts in time,but just the main shell.I can do metalwork,etc.and I dont mind rusted/dented pumps,as for it isnt gonna be a "show"type pump,it is just for me and hopefully something from the ~40's-50's.Mainly someone who knows someone,or if someone here has something.Also I am looking for 1 old oil can,(50's era preferbly)
Thanks,
Dan

[This message has been edited by RetroMetro (edited 05-31-2005).]

[This message has been edited by RetroMetro (edited 06-01-2005).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
delete

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I sold a pair (a Tokheim 300 and a Gilbarco 906) last year for $100. Complete pumps but needed "work". You should be able to get into a pump for $50 or less. But you will need the time to get them right. If you find one cheap or free and it is missing a panel or door, don't pass on it. You can pick up any missing parts later.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dan,

I am located about 80 miles from you and I may have a pump for you. You don't have your email address listed so email me if you are interested. Just click on the envelope on my profile.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'd be a little cautious on the "cheapness" when looking at pumps. A cheap pump with a lot of parts that are unuseable or missing could get to be costly when you start adding up replacing the parts. Look for a straight, complete, mostly reusable pump and start dickering.

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rod,
Please be CAREFULL how you use my nickNAME ! LOL
db

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
aka, "dealing"?
Seriously though, the cost to replace unusable or missing parts add up fast. Add that to the supplies and materials for the restoration and add that to the cost to replace electrical and fasteners, glass, decals--------.
I've kept a detailed account of the last two or three pumps I've done. After the pump is in your possession you can plan on putting $500.+ into it.[on a common pump]

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Last year, I found a Southwestern 45, in a junk pile at a farm. I asked about it, and got it, for a case of beer. Not only was it an affordable beer, but he shared some with me when I returned. Thats my FAVORITE BEER...

A gas pump is like anything else. Some people just throw them away. But keep in mind, that you DONT get into a hobby to save money. My suggestion is that you take your time. Look at what this hobby has to offer. Cans, signs, (both genuine & repros), pumps, (Visibles (sp?) computing, modern) other petrolania stuff, (lubsters, oil bottles, maps, grease pumps) Enjoy a few shows or swap meets. Get what you want, but remember the advice here. An inexpensive pump, will likely cost MUCH more to restore than a more expensive (complete) pump.

Have fun... Welcome to the site... And keep us posted...

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Gary,

Weren't those my pumps! LOL

Phil

Thanks, Phil

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved