Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
cmeon66 #224692 Mon Jan 10 2011 05:55 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I heard the barrett-Jackson prices on car are low now.............so I wonder how the other stuff is going to sell.............

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If you have never been, it's well worth going to just to see it all and watch. Have a good time.

Craig
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I disagree with that statement " More money than brains Club " it took a lot of brains to get all that money..them that don't have it belong to the "jealous club"... please don't take that personally.. I have heard that statement more times than enough,,, JUST NOT TRUE >....

Wes.......
Wes Hague #224800 Tue Jan 11 2011 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When somebody pays $10,000 for a $2,000 gas pump there are NO BRAINS involved. It does not always take Brains to make Money, some people Yes, but a lot of it is Greed that got them there.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Wes Hague #224805 Tue Jan 11 2011 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
I disagree with that statement " More money than brains Club " it took a lot of brains to get all that money..them that don't have it belong to the "jealous club"... please don't take that personally.. I have heard that statement more times than enough,,, JUST NOT TRUE >....

Jay Leno is who I heard this phrase from on a show when he was Talking about his Car collection. And he said that he is "The President of the More Money Than Brains Club"

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...oh, please...if you pay at least double what a short chrome top 1960's Gulf pump is worth - and it's got Good Gulf decals, an Ethyl round decal and a globe mounted on top - you belong to the 'more money than brains club'...if your time is too valuable to learn about what you're buying and make educated choices, than you have one too many hobbies...

...am I jealous?...I'd love to have all of that money...who wouldn't?...the difference is, I'd know how to spend it...my museum would look like a museum, and not a candy-coated amusement park...

Originally Posted By: KZ1000
When somebody pays $10,000 for a $2,000 gas pump there are NO BRAINS involved. It does not always take Brains to make Money, some people Yes, but a lot of it is Greed that got them there.

...and some of them just were lucky enough to be born to wealthy parents...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Tue Jan 11 2011 07:25 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
As a long time Barrett-Jackson car consignor and car buyer I can safely tell you that Barret-Jackson is no different than any other auction. Some items bring way more than they should, others are down right steals, just like your local country auction....ever try to buy an unrestored common visible at a country auction...Good Luck!
What Barrett-Jackson does have going for it is probably the strongest crowd of buyers in America (same with RM Auctions) which means that unlike most of the other auction houses, BJ and RM have been unscathed by the recession. And now since the economy is bouncing and the market is back to pre-Lehman levels you're really going to see them to continue their predominance in the collector car market.
Also, as someone who also buys automobilia I can tell you that the $2,000 gas pump selling for $10,000 rarely happens....sometimes it does but that happens at ANY auction. As for the "more money than brains" quotes. Sorry guys but what I've learned in life is that people who say it are either jealous or don't understand how many works. Most wealthy, successful people did not obtain their position because of greed, nor luck. Rather it's through impressive schooling, disciplined work habits, and an internal drive to succeed. I personally don't know a single successful person who made it by luck or being obtuse. Also, people need to understand money...our money system is based upon decimal points. So if you're making $6 million a year...that's equal to $3,000 an hour. If you move the decimal point two places you're now making $60,000 a year or $30 dollars an hour. So to the guy making 6 million, spending $10,000 is equal to a $100 for the guy making 60 grand...get it? And if you think the guy making six million is going to lose two days of his life flying up to Iowa gas to buy a gas pump...good luck. For that two days of time is worth $48,000 and that's without hotel, air, etc. So spending $1,000 more than a pump is worth at an auction is a much cheaper route. Also...I was talking to my friend Kyle Moore recently and I don't think "More Money than Brains" has ever been used to describe the man who assembled the finest collection in America bar none. However, he was telling me from 1984 - 1994 he pretty much cornered the market on buying all of the good stuff. How...he would pay twice what it was worth. If a sign was worth $500, Kyle was paying $1,000. Because of this..every good piece at a show was held until Kyle looked at it, everyone ran to Kyle if they had anything good. He beat out the competition and assembled the best collection ever. And through appreciation in values he more than quadrupled his investment. But...I guess since he was paying more than market at the time...the jealous types would have said that "he has more money than brains". In the end...who had the brains?

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Well he was probably saying that to apease the peon's like us ? Don't forget he is on TV and needs watchers like us. You can't tell me he is lacking in brains or anyone else that has millions of dollars,, UNLESS they won it in a lottery.. It's a lot of those people out there that have loads of money that keep the rest of the world in jobs..This is just a friendly conversation everyone, a good discussion, don't you think ? Lets hear what others think about the subject,,,

Wes.......
oiljobber #224834 Tue Jan 11 2011 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oiljobber
Also, people need to understand money...our money system is based upon decimal points. So if you're making $6 million a year...that's equal to $3,000 an hour. If you move the decimal point two places you're now making $60,000 a year or $30 dollars an hour. So to the guy making 6 million, spending $10,000 is equal to a $100 for the guy making 60 grand...get it?

...wow, now I get it...sorry, I didn't before (I guess dropping Kyle Moore's name helped)...

...so what you're saying is that these people making $6 million/year are too stupid to stop working after 1 year and collect gas stuff full-time?

...maybe that ought to be the next Oldgas poll...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #224838 Tue Jan 11 2011 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A MILLION DOLLARS TODAY ISN'T WORTH SQUAT COMPARED TO SAY 1961 - 50 YEARS AGO.

STILL, I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES WITH A COOL MILLION TODAY! smile

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
oiljobber #224859 Tue Jan 11 2011 09:45 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey "oiljobber",,,, you said it the best it could have been said,,, although I doubt not many on here will agree or understand..well said ! I'm finished with this topic, nothing left to say, you said it all..thanks,,

Last edited by Wes Hague; Tue Jan 11 2011 09:45 AM.

Wes.......
gasmansgp #224871 Tue Jan 11 2011 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gasmansgp
Keep in mind that the 40th Anniversary Auction is about to begin on Jan.17th. As most of you know, there is an Automobilia auction by the same auctioneers every morning, an hour or two, before the cars. A lot of you also know Rory Brinkman who is responsible for putting together this portion of the auction. Rory does an excellent job of making available a high quality of assorted gas and oil items. Many items are the very best.....N.O.S. Others are quite unique. All are very collectable. The auction usually brings good prices. Please join me in wishing Rory a successful auction. Paul.www.severngaspumps.com

Yet once again...someone posts info about an auction as a service to the members (it could be a new website, service or tv show as well, doesn't really matter) and they absolutely get hammered.

Some of you really crack me up.

Ohio Oil #224897 Tue Jan 11 2011 02:14 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Well said Oiljobber!!!! And I agree with Ohio oil.....

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaw

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
THERMOMAN #224908 Tue Jan 11 2011 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have money or brains..... But I do have a lot of FUN!!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved