Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#224441 Sun Jan 09 2011 01:14 PM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Keep in mind that the 40th Anniversary Auction is about to begin on Jan.17th. As most of you know, there is an Automobilia auction by the same auctioneers every morning, an hour or two, before the cars. A lot of you also know Rory Brinkman who is responsible for putting together this portion of the auction. Rory does an excellent job of making available a high quality of assorted gas and oil items. Many items are the very best.....N.O.S. Others are quite unique. All are very collectable. The auction usually brings good prices. Please join me in wishing Rory a successful auction. Paul.www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #224456 Sun Jan 09 2011 02:23 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Sure wish that they would not have stopped other new people from getting a booth and selling old stuff. We went down three years ago to get a booth only to be told that there were four sellers or vendors that would be grandfathered in to sell old stuff. New people would have to sell reproduction because one person was going to have all the auction rights. I would have loved to get a booth but all of my stuff is original. By the way my booth would have been the same price as Bernies in which has uncompairable items each year. That is surely the venue for high end material.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"I've got a lot of problems, but money ain't one of them!" - bidder at Barrett Jackson auction, as shown on the Speed Channel

...I've seen the pics...a LOT of neon signs that never were supposed to have neon, and some pretty 'creative' gas pump reimaging...stuff created (and priced) for those with more money than...well, you know...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #224468 Sun Jan 09 2011 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This a gathering for the "More Money Than Brains Club"!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
**chuckling on the inside**

........Dave
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Hello Rory; Talk to US. ;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's NOT "More Money Than Brains Club",
it's a Money Is NOT A Problem Here.

W
W
I'm going to Barrett Jackson with a few friends for the first time this year. I've seen plenty of pics and heard lots about all the automobilia that is on display there. Doubt I can afford to buy much and it probably wouldn't be prudent to buy at Barrett Jackson prices, but it should be a lot of fun just being a spectator.

Wagz #224498 Sun Jan 09 2011 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK AFTER THE EXPERIENCE,,,I PREFER THE MECUM AUCTIONS OVER B,J, TXS ALAN

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Wagz #224499 Sun Jan 09 2011 05:53 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
When we were there though I will say that everyone was having a good time and looking at all the stuff was fun. Its like everything else from Real property to stocks, it a cycle and some get in on different hills and valleys. Big money hurts just as bad as the rest of us, no one wants to feel like they made a mistake.

Craig
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Esse's Garage
This a gathering for the "More Money Than Brains Club"!!

I agree 200%!!!!!!

Mike
strnge #224537 Sun Jan 09 2011 07:44 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
It's CONVENIENCE...Some of these Wealthy guys do not have the time to go on the search for these items- they see it, like it, then they buy it. Their time is worth more then the investment in a $400 sign that is worth $200.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I think that you hit the nail on the head with your statement 57tbirdkid.

Craig
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Thanks Craig!!

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I am going to the Barrett Jackson sale at least one day, the only reason is all of the other things that are going on at the same place, and most of it is free. All of the overpriced items are still fun to look at. I do not know if I would make a special trip to Arizona to go, but since I am already here It is hard to pass up. Norm.

Norm Huff
cmeon66 #224692 Mon Jan 10 2011 05:55 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I heard the barrett-Jackson prices on car are low now.............so I wonder how the other stuff is going to sell.............

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If you have never been, it's well worth going to just to see it all and watch. Have a good time.

Craig
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I disagree with that statement " More money than brains Club " it took a lot of brains to get all that money..them that don't have it belong to the "jealous club"... please don't take that personally.. I have heard that statement more times than enough,,, JUST NOT TRUE >....

Wes.......
Wes Hague #224800 Tue Jan 11 2011 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When somebody pays $10,000 for a $2,000 gas pump there are NO BRAINS involved. It does not always take Brains to make Money, some people Yes, but a lot of it is Greed that got them there.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Wes Hague #224805 Tue Jan 11 2011 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
I disagree with that statement " More money than brains Club " it took a lot of brains to get all that money..them that don't have it belong to the "jealous club"... please don't take that personally.. I have heard that statement more times than enough,,, JUST NOT TRUE >....

Jay Leno is who I heard this phrase from on a show when he was Talking about his Car collection. And he said that he is "The President of the More Money Than Brains Club"

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...oh, please...if you pay at least double what a short chrome top 1960's Gulf pump is worth - and it's got Good Gulf decals, an Ethyl round decal and a globe mounted on top - you belong to the 'more money than brains club'...if your time is too valuable to learn about what you're buying and make educated choices, than you have one too many hobbies...

...am I jealous?...I'd love to have all of that money...who wouldn't?...the difference is, I'd know how to spend it...my museum would look like a museum, and not a candy-coated amusement park...

Originally Posted By: KZ1000
When somebody pays $10,000 for a $2,000 gas pump there are NO BRAINS involved. It does not always take Brains to make Money, some people Yes, but a lot of it is Greed that got them there.

...and some of them just were lucky enough to be born to wealthy parents...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Tue Jan 11 2011 07:25 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
As a long time Barrett-Jackson car consignor and car buyer I can safely tell you that Barret-Jackson is no different than any other auction. Some items bring way more than they should, others are down right steals, just like your local country auction....ever try to buy an unrestored common visible at a country auction...Good Luck!
What Barrett-Jackson does have going for it is probably the strongest crowd of buyers in America (same with RM Auctions) which means that unlike most of the other auction houses, BJ and RM have been unscathed by the recession. And now since the economy is bouncing and the market is back to pre-Lehman levels you're really going to see them to continue their predominance in the collector car market.
Also, as someone who also buys automobilia I can tell you that the $2,000 gas pump selling for $10,000 rarely happens....sometimes it does but that happens at ANY auction. As for the "more money than brains" quotes. Sorry guys but what I've learned in life is that people who say it are either jealous or don't understand how many works. Most wealthy, successful people did not obtain their position because of greed, nor luck. Rather it's through impressive schooling, disciplined work habits, and an internal drive to succeed. I personally don't know a single successful person who made it by luck or being obtuse. Also, people need to understand money...our money system is based upon decimal points. So if you're making $6 million a year...that's equal to $3,000 an hour. If you move the decimal point two places you're now making $60,000 a year or $30 dollars an hour. So to the guy making 6 million, spending $10,000 is equal to a $100 for the guy making 60 grand...get it? And if you think the guy making six million is going to lose two days of his life flying up to Iowa gas to buy a gas pump...good luck. For that two days of time is worth $48,000 and that's without hotel, air, etc. So spending $1,000 more than a pump is worth at an auction is a much cheaper route. Also...I was talking to my friend Kyle Moore recently and I don't think "More Money than Brains" has ever been used to describe the man who assembled the finest collection in America bar none. However, he was telling me from 1984 - 1994 he pretty much cornered the market on buying all of the good stuff. How...he would pay twice what it was worth. If a sign was worth $500, Kyle was paying $1,000. Because of this..every good piece at a show was held until Kyle looked at it, everyone ran to Kyle if they had anything good. He beat out the competition and assembled the best collection ever. And through appreciation in values he more than quadrupled his investment. But...I guess since he was paying more than market at the time...the jealous types would have said that "he has more money than brains". In the end...who had the brains?

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Well he was probably saying that to apease the peon's like us ? Don't forget he is on TV and needs watchers like us. You can't tell me he is lacking in brains or anyone else that has millions of dollars,, UNLESS they won it in a lottery.. It's a lot of those people out there that have loads of money that keep the rest of the world in jobs..This is just a friendly conversation everyone, a good discussion, don't you think ? Lets hear what others think about the subject,,,

Wes.......
oiljobber #224834 Tue Jan 11 2011 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oiljobber
Also, people need to understand money...our money system is based upon decimal points. So if you're making $6 million a year...that's equal to $3,000 an hour. If you move the decimal point two places you're now making $60,000 a year or $30 dollars an hour. So to the guy making 6 million, spending $10,000 is equal to a $100 for the guy making 60 grand...get it?

...wow, now I get it...sorry, I didn't before (I guess dropping Kyle Moore's name helped)...

...so what you're saying is that these people making $6 million/year are too stupid to stop working after 1 year and collect gas stuff full-time?

...maybe that ought to be the next Oldgas poll...

gulfiend! #224838 Tue Jan 11 2011 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A MILLION DOLLARS TODAY ISN'T WORTH SQUAT COMPARED TO SAY 1961 - 50 YEARS AGO.

STILL, I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES WITH A COOL MILLION TODAY! smile

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
oiljobber #224859 Tue Jan 11 2011 09:45 AM
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey "oiljobber",,,, you said it the best it could have been said,,, although I doubt not many on here will agree or understand..well said ! I'm finished with this topic, nothing left to say, you said it all..thanks,,

Last edited by Wes Hague; Tue Jan 11 2011 09:45 AM.

Wes.......
gasmansgp #224871 Tue Jan 11 2011 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gasmansgp
Keep in mind that the 40th Anniversary Auction is about to begin on Jan.17th. As most of you know, there is an Automobilia auction by the same auctioneers every morning, an hour or two, before the cars. A lot of you also know Rory Brinkman who is responsible for putting together this portion of the auction. Rory does an excellent job of making available a high quality of assorted gas and oil items. Many items are the very best.....N.O.S. Others are quite unique. All are very collectable. The auction usually brings good prices. Please join me in wishing Rory a successful auction. Paul.www.severngaspumps.com

Yet once again...someone posts info about an auction as a service to the members (it could be a new website, service or tv show as well, doesn't really matter) and they absolutely get hammered.

Some of you really crack me up.

Ohio Oil #224897 Tue Jan 11 2011 02:14 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Well said Oiljobber!!!! And I agree with Ohio oil.....

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaw

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
THERMOMAN #224908 Tue Jan 11 2011 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't have money or brains..... But I do have a lot of FUN!!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
gasmansgp #224913 Tue Jan 11 2011 03:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've been watching this thread because I know from experience that once money becomes the dominent topic in a discussion nothing good happens for enjoyment of the hobby for me.But then I'm in the hobby for the fun of it;nothing more.

If all I'm going to think about is "what's it worth",that becomes more like work;not a hobby.If I'm going to work,there are several more attractive avenues to persue than looking to my collection as a source of money.Just my thoughts learned the hard way.Nothing more.

Old Iron #224962 Tue Jan 11 2011 05:54 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I've been slowly selling my collection for nearly two years now.

I tell all my friends I've quadrupled my money also.

This thread's even funnier than....... well I'll stop there. : )))

blacktee #224977 Tue Jan 11 2011 06:21 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
They have a lot of gas and oil stuff for sale there.......wonder how steep those prices are going to be.......

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
When I posted this information, I expected some feedback. I would have never thought that so many could say such sour things about a subject that has no effect personally on them? Oiljobber, Ohiooil and Gasstuff understand how the system works. Others have little experience but are full of opinions. Opinions are only worth what you pay for them. There are some comments here that are, frankly, sad. This might be why so many people are timid about posting on this site....fear of attack? Really sad, don't you think? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #225019 Tue Jan 11 2011 08:28 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Paul, you are so correct. It is very sad.

PETRO NUT #225025 Tue Jan 11 2011 08:52 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
What is sad is that there are people that sell the same stuff that bj sells and they are asking the same jacked up price that it sell for a bj.....you know them people that think what you have is ***** and their is gold.....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
PETRO NUT #225028 Tue Jan 11 2011 09:01 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with old iron I collect for the fun of it , I look for it buy what I like and most of the time its a fixer upper cause I do not have a lot of money to throw at it.If I had crazy money I would be the guy that buys every thing he sees.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #225031 Tue Jan 11 2011 09:16 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well I guess that someone is directing there post at me here and I believe that I did not say anything that could be taken badly. My prices are high, and I do believe that I could with restored stuff compete with the best at Barrett Jackson. Stuff here in the west is more expensive and alot more expensive to do the top level job as expected at Barrett Jackson. I have been to that auction and liked it, my only complaint is that they would not let me sell there. Good stuff, Good prices, Sorry that I may have offended someone. People do not attain wealth by being stupid and value there fun and time differently as we all have different interest.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
3 times I re-read this entire post tonight and I really don't see any big deal. It is all just opinions whether you are for or against. Certainly nothing to get all pissy towards some. I really think a few need to loosen their panties and relax.

KZ1000 #225037 Tue Jan 11 2011 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"few need to loosen their panties"
NOPE, Buy new ones that FIT their BUTT, not their DREAMS.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to say my post WAS NOT aimed at Craig Osbeck, who I posted right after. Sorry Craig if it appeared that way.

KZ1000 #225064 Wed Jan 12 2011 05:25 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
And mine was not aimed at Craig Osbeck either!

AKA PARIS HILTON!
KZ1000 #225072 Wed Jan 12 2011 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
3 times I re-read this entire post tonight and I really don't see any big deal. It is all just opinions whether you are for or against. Certainly nothing to get all pissy towards some. I really think a few need to loosen their panties and relax.

I agree with you on this one. Just difference in opinion. I didn't see anyone being attacked on this thread.

I would have to agree as well. Just because somebody does not agree with you does not mean they are attacking you.

It is pretty hard to get a persons tone of conversation through typing.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...first off, I didn't see this topic as anything but a free plug for the auction at Barrett-Jackson, not a 'service' to the Oldgas community...

...promoting 'American Pickers' or 'American Restorers' on Oldgas is a service to Oldgas members - seriously??? I would think WARNING people about those shows would be a real service ;-)

...the photos I've seen of the stuff at Barrett-Jackson haven't impressed me...I haven't seen the really good stuff that I've seen at Columbus, or photos from Iowa Gas, or even here on Oldgas...what I have seen is mediocre-to-decent stuff adulterated in a gaudy manner (i.e., neon where there wasn't, globes on pumps too recent to have them) just to realize an inflated payday from those too busy making 7 figures to know the difference...

...who benefits from this cycle?...does this really help the hobby, or the values of our collections?...those of you who have a strong dislike for undated repros or restored signs where the restoration is not advertised: how do you feel when you see (for example) an old sign that someone has punched holes in to add neon, for no other reason than to sell a $500 sign for $5000?

...I think it's a shame an old sign got ruined just to make a buck...

...most gas shows are thankfully a celebration of old gas stuff...Barrett-Jackson looks to me to be a celebration of money...

...now, as to the other stuff: about how $10,000 is the same to some people as $100 is to 'us peons'; and how I don't understand how the system works,etc...well, using the 'new math' the Six Million Dollar Man who stands to lose $48,000 by going to Iowa Gas is like the guy who's making $60,000 only losing $480, right?...that sounds affordable enough, 'cos he's going to have to take a couple days off, too...it's either relative or it isn't...

gulfiend! #225095 Wed Jan 12 2011 08:26 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Thank you, I apologize just seemed close to home after the item I had for sale.

Craig
gulfiend! #225098 Wed Jan 12 2011 08:42 AM
Online Cool
Different strokes for different folks.

There have always been different perspectives for those at opposite ends of the income spectrum. The hobby needs both the budget newcomer who buys the common and less-than-mint items as well as the guys who can pull the quick trigger on high dollar items. Both can get screwed by a con-artist who fraudulently represents new as old or fantasy as real. Both need to know as much as they can about what they are buying.

We may complain that crazy high prices at Barrett-Jackson or someplace else will drive up prices at other venues. If you are a seller, you say "Yay!" and if you are a buyer, you say, "Boo to high prices!" It's all in where you are standing.

Let's be glad there are budget buyers as well as high-end buyers, as it keeps a full range to keep the ball rolling.

Last edited by Oldgas; Wed Jan 12 2011 08:45 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
gulfiend! #225116 Wed Jan 12 2011 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...first off, I didn't see this topic as anything but a free plug for the auction at Barrett-Jackson, not a 'service' to the Oldgas community...

Umm...help me out here..I think that's exactly what this site is all about isn't it? The category heading for this thread is "petroleum news" right?? If Aumann, Matthews, Barrett-Jackson, or anyone else is having an auction, this site is about getting the word out and reminding people when it is. I really don't see the harm in any of that.

My post was not meant to infer the originator of this thread was being personally attacked..but rather he's just trying to inform the members about an event that's upcoming and the thread deteriorates into an
opinion-fest regarding the merits of Barrett-Jackson auctions. I seriously doubt that was ever the intention of him originating this thread.

And..the originator of this thread is exactly correct when he says this is the reason many people don't post on here anymore.

Ohio Oil #225119 Wed Jan 12 2011 10:15 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Ummmmmm

Maybe it's because they don't know the words to the song we're singing around the campfire.

Melodramatic comes to mind.

LMAO

blacktee #225138 Wed Jan 12 2011 01:11 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Gulfiend; I'm with you when you said you did'nt like punching good signs for neon when they were not originally. I pesonally wouldn,t give the same money after it was punched then what it was worth before. just my opinion and we all know what that's worth ;;;;;;Ron

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
People Have the right to spend their money on what they want and how they want to. In your eyes it looks like they made a bad investment which may be true. In their eyes they bought something they like and will enjoy. I do not agree with the comment of "more money then brains". Don't get me wrong- There are a lot of stupid people out there who blow all the money they inherited from family or wherever. There are some people that work their ***** off to earn what they have. They may not be as educated on their purchase as most of us try to be- but they see the item and they want it-so they take a shot and buy it. I am not looking to start an argument here by all means. People will do what they want to do and spend their money on what they want. I would rather see them spend their money on AMERICAN HISTORY then the ***** that is imported from china. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Fri Jan 14 2011 07:52 PM.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Originally Posted By: Gas stuff.com
Well said Oiljobber!!!! And I agree with Ohio oil.....
Ditto!!!

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
After reading oiljobber's post I do agree with some points. Just because your friend bought all of these signs for more money than the current market value at the time, does not mean he is smart. He made an investment and did well due to the way this hobby has been going(good) compared to many other collector hobbies which is very poor. If the gas and oil collector market went in the other direction- he would be sitting with a lot of signs that he overpaid for and could not move. It's like the stock market- you can have a bad performing company with a great stock price- THE MARKET DETERMINES THE VALUE!!! Your friend did good on his investment which is great- But at the end of the day as with almost any industry-Stocks, Real Estate, Collector cars ect- The market determines the value-Your sign is only worth what someones wants to pay for it.

cmeon66 #226927 Tue Jan 18 2011 06:50 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I heard it cost about $300 to become a bidder and with $300 you get 10 alcoholic drinks. What a grand idea to get more money from the "smart" rich people....I think their ego also gets inflated.

Last edited by Recycle68; Tue Jan 18 2011 06:57 PM.

Gas Pumps, Farmall tractors and 1968 Chevrolet Impalas
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved