Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

It is time for a new Globe of the Month post. I waited until the middle of the month with this because I did not want to take anything away from Doc's Buys of the Year. By the way - Great Stuff in the Buys of the Year! We always enjoy looking at some of the Year's best purchases.

There were some globes pictured in the Buy's of the Year but I know that there were many, many more globes that you guys and gals bought. You have a chance now to post ALL of your globe purchases - the good, the bad, and the ugly, lets see them all!

One question that I have heard over and over again in the past year is "How well are globes selling?". My answer is always the same. I don't care what collectors collect, a serious collector is not going to quit collecting because the economy is down. HOWEVER, they are probably going to spend less money on their hobby. I have seen that in the globe hobby, globes are selling well, collectors are just not spending as much as they did a year or two back.

Aaron and I are a perfect example of this. We are avid collectors and have been for many years. We have also had to make some major $$ equipment purchases in the past year and I knew that we would not have a lot of money to spend on globes. Do we buy 2 globes all year for $2000 each or do we buy 20 globes over the course of the year for $200 each? The pictures speak for themselves. We had a shelf in the shed to put a bunch of globes and we had more fun at shows and auctions this year looking for under $200 globes than we have had in a long time. You don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy globes!

This post is NOT intended to be a dialog about whether globes are going up or down in price or whether they are a good investment. This post is about sharing photos of your globe purchases of the past year. Lets see some photos and hear the stories behind the globes, where you bought them or from whom.

Whether you collect globes or just enjoy looking at photos lets have some fun with this! As always post any POSTIVE comments or thoughts that you would like to share on this post.

Thanks and lets see those 2010 globe purchases!

Lonnie & Aaron

IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0071.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A few more 2010 purchases.

IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0074.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres a photo of 2 globes that I bought this year. The Fyre Drop is NOS and came from another Old Gasser and the Cities Service is a 9+ globe that I bought from Scott Benjamin.
I see lower globe prices as an opportunity to add to my collection at a lower cost than I had expected! After 62 years of life, I've learned a few things and one of them is to buy when the prices are on the downswing! Prices on anything will continue to rise and fall along with the economy and I don't see this as anything more than that.
The economy would not stop me from collecting these wonderful artifacts, it will only slow me down some but lower prices will really help! I hope that these lower prices will allow me to be able to purchase some higher end globes at prices that I can afford! I'm on the hunt!

Fyre Drop--resized.jpg Crew Levick resized.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'M TYPICALLY NOT A GLOBE COLLECTOR, BUT THIS ONE CAUGHT MY EYE @ THE MASON/DIXON SHOW AND IS THE 3RD ORIGINAL IN MY SMALL GLOBE COLLECTION...

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got a few globes the past year;

The Power X was from Iowa gas last year. The two piece topper was used as a way to advertise the new higher octane rating.

I got these two at Iowa also. I had a single US Motors before but wanted a complete globe. I think I got it from the Pease/ Claiborn table.

I got the Sinclair Ethyl from Jackie Knott. I picked up a second version of this globe from Jack last week at Columbia

I got this single Blue Sunoco on metal at the Columbus show. Not Sinclair but it matches the colors of a pump I had. I picked up a second lens for the back from Scott last year also

I picked this one up for our local American Legion. We leave it lit all the time like a night light

I bought two different Pennant lenses from Scott. I traded off one to my brother for a match to the other.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lonnie, That group of globes reminds me of the Globes On A Budget series you authored a "few" years back that inspired me to concentrate on collecting globes.
Due to my non-petro interests accounting for a bigger chunk of my discretionary spending I only bought one globe in 2010. I went to the fall Peotone show more as a social event rather than looking to buy anything. I had hardly walked in the door when an old friend hooked me with a price and terms I couldn't refuse on this Pierce Pennant globe.

DSC09163.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Good looking globes everyone!

Kevin, I really appreciate your thoughts on collecting and the economy, your comments are right on the money. I am only a few years younger than you and I to have seen value of homes, land, stocks, and collectibles fluctuate over the years. I have tried to follow the advice I always give to other collectors - Buy what you like and can afford... and have fun!

Lets see more of your 2010 globe purchases!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first venture into buying Globes I found 2 Champlin globes last year since I collect Champlin was very happy with them hope to find a couple more Champlin globes this coming year.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Those look nice!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didnt buy a lot of globes in 2010 as in previous years. I focused on quality this year, and Missouri companies. My first of the year was This Superior that I got from Bill Fortune. Then I got the MFA globe from Jarvis. I badgered him for two years before I broke him down, it is truly my favorite globe hands down. Next globe is the Lion Knix Knox. I bought it from Lonnie and it was at Iowa gas I bet I looked at that globe a dozen times before I bought it. That was the first globe of mine that broke the over a $1000 dollar market. Its funny how it gets easier to buy those more expensive globes after you buy the first one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by s932; Tue Jan 18 2011 03:32 PM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Globes are selling quite well right now. Demand is also very good as I speak to about 10-15 people a week that are new to the hobby and they are looking for globes. My "wants list" grows every day and I just can't find enough globes to fill the demand. The upper end globes are down a bit more, but the demand is still there and these pieces are selling if the price is right. There have been a lot of pieces in the $10,000 to $15,000 sell in the last several months. They also want good signs and pumps too in many cases. We sold over 55 globes in December alone which is typically a slower month. Yes prices are down a bit but if you can buy at a better bargain and sell a little less they will sell! I've taken this time to add to my collection on some good deals on some better pieces. Our hobby is still strong so just enjoy it!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I only have two globes in my collection and I purchased them both last year? Hope this doesn't start a trend.....

keith1.jpg globe3.jpg
P
P
Two adds last year......the General Ethyl from the Matthews Auction at Iowa Gas, and the Burgess Ethyl from Scott Benjamin..........

Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Keith and Scott hit the nail right on the head about globes. Alot of people keep saying the prices are down and will not return but I don't believe it for a minute. Anyway, buy what you like, and your personal return will be great just with enjoyment. Keep the photos coming!!!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;

Great posts and comments so far! Lets continue to see more globe photos and fell free to share ANY postive thoughts or comments about collecting globes you might have.

Thanks!

Lonnie

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's my contribution. I bought this Sinclair lense from a fellow oldgasser. Would like to find another for the backside.
Thanks,
Rod

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Great posts so far. I know there were a lot of globes added to collections this past year, lets see some more!

I picked up this single Diesel shoebox globe lense at the Matthews Fall Peotone Auction. It was not one I had ever seen or heard of before. It would stand to reason that there could also be Flying A Kerosene or Heater Oil / #1 Fuel shoebox lenses also.

IMG_0057.JPG
Last edited by olddutchgas; Fri Jan 21 2011 08:36 AM.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
This is one of my favorites I picked up for my collection in 2010. Scott B.

atomicscottssmallersize.jpg
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Oh that's way cool! I spent 20 years working with nuclear power, that would be a very neat one to have!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, All I can say is WOW!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SCOTT, YOU NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME WITH THE GLOBES YOU FIND AND PICK-UP. AMAZING! ER, I MEAN ATOMIC!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome globe Scott.

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, neat globe Scott, any info on where the company originated from or how many stations they had? Would be cool to get the regular version as a mate.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thanks for the comments everyone. The Atomic Gas was found in Southwest Michigan at a local gas station by a lake and that's all we know....Yes I'd love to see the regular version if there is one. OK everyone else post some globes I know a lot of you are holding back!!!

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Scott that is beyond sweet!!!!!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK, kinda cheating here, not all of these are this years purchases for sure, but I did complete my bonus room upstairs at my house and after 4 years of being stored in boxes, finally got to see my collection again. Several of these were added this year such as the Anchor, the Buffalo, and the Super-X baked on globe. This is the finished product with about another 15 or so in my collection not displayed yet. Working on that.

Here is the other end of the room as you walk up the stairs with the screen door and wall schonts. I can yell down to the kitchen for the wife to bring up a beer!!!

Last edited by roger cherry; Fri Jan 21 2011 07:23 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks good Roger. I'm calling BS that you yell down to your wife for beer.

Great looking globes guys.

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott... i am with you i bet he doesn't yet down to her to get him a beer.
Roger that room still empty in the middle? LOL

Shelf looks great! Looks better now that you moved the top one down a little.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since the shelves are a "fixed" bookcase, they are NOT adjustable so moving the top one cost me another $150 bucks with the trim carpeters. Got everything spaced out right now. I am not going to post my "birthday" present because I don't want it turned into a magnet or clock anytime soon...... Know what I mean??????

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome globe, Scott!

And, Roger, that display looks GREAT! smile

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Roger very nice display smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ROGER...WHAT A BRAGGER/SHOWOFF YOU ARE!

LIKE I'M GONNA BELIEVE THE WIFE FETCHES A COLD ONE WHEN YOU YELL DOWN "BEER!"

NICE DISPLAY OF YOUR INVENTORY BTW...AMAZING DISPLAYS SOME OF YOU GLOBIES HAVE.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I am not a globe collector but I do have some on some of my pumps. Here are the ones I got last year. One shoebox came with a pump, one from an Oldgasser and one from a Matthews auction. The Cities clover was pieced together, one lens still in transit. The Mobil came from Scott Benjamin.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Matt, I don't know how to break the news to you.....if you buy five globes in a year you're a globe collector!
Bob

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Looking good Roger' The little refiners globe looks out of place, it needs to come back up her in Ohio where it belongs. Can you make change for a $100.00 bill? ;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron, the Refiners is one of the little 11.25" metals. I think it is the only one out there right now. I bought it years ago from Glenn Thompson,(RIP), who got it out of the attic of one of his buddies house that was a Mason. The guy saw Glenn's collection and said "Hey, I have one of those globe things in my attic". The rest is history....... I think I will hang onto it for now...

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
One other globe I picked up this year was at Hershey and I was lucky to find it! One of two known, so far, late teens, early 1920s baked White Rose-very early for a baked one piece. Same company using the boy and slate logo. The one piece globes with writing on them that look old I enjoy as much as the picture globes. Scott B. gasglobes.com and PCM Magazine.

whiteroseopsmallersize.jpg
Last edited by scottpcm; Sat Jan 22 2011 11:51 AM.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Scott
That white rose globe is incredible.
Funny, there is more Canadian content on the site tonight then in the last Month.
Johnnyleduc

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Here are a few of the better globes I picked up this year. I bought about 40 globes in 2010 sold a few, and kept most haha. The first is a NOS Kanotex Sovereign Service lenses on NOS ORIGINAL Yellow ripple. The Next is a Ultra Rare NOS one piece Etched Nevr Nox non poisonous globe. The third is Rare Standard Globe and Last One Piece Skelly.

Jerry

kanotex.jpg Nevrnox.jpg Standard 1.jpg Skelly.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is my best globe purchase this year, It is the small 11 1/4 size...Frank

I collect anything Hyvis oils
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Good looking globes everyone!

The following globes are 2010 purchases from avid globe collector and all round nice guy Maurice Campbell. (aka as Souperhigh ) Great looking globes Maurice! I especially like the Bell Areial, I have only ever seen a couple of these. The Hancock Products with the shield and 3 small chickens is not to shabby either. The Danciger with Road Runner looks strangely familiar to!

I have several more photos from Maurice to post in the next few days so you are going to want to stay tuned to Globe of the Month and and why not take a few minutes to share your 2010 globe purchases also!

Thanks!

Lonnie & Aaron

mc3.jpg mc2.jpg mc1.jpg mc4.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lonnie those globes are amazing!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MAURICE, THAT'S A GREAT SET OF GLOBE PURCHASES FOR 2010. THE AERIAL AND THE HANCOCK ARE ESPECIALLY EYE CATCHING TO ME.

Online Cool
Great globes so far!

Here is a globe I got in 2010. I've been looking for one of these for years to complete my collection of Zephyr - J.D. Streett Co. globes.

zephyrsupremeglobe.jpg
Zephyr Supreme, JD Streett

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maurice, the detail on that Road-Runner bird is spectacular. Jim, since I am also a car guy, really love anything with speed lines...... Keep the photos coming...

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few more of Muarice's (Souperhigh) 2010 globe purchases. Love that Knight Gasoline globe! I have only ever seen one other one. I have a few more photos to post for Maurice, so stay tuned and take a few minutes to share YOUR 2010 globe purchases.

Thanks!

Lonnie

mc5.jpg mc6.jpg mc7.jpg

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
My best buy of the year.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Chris,
That is awesome !!
Maurice

Originally Posted By: RARIN TO GO
My best buy of the year.

That must be one of the coolest globe around!!!

V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
That globe ranks in the top best 10 globes of all time!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had to make a trip to his house to see that. It's even prettier in person. Green with envy Mitch

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris that frontier is awesome looking. Jim like the zephyr as well. It's always nice when you can complete a series of globes. It was also a good time at that auction that day.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, that Frontier globe will make any globe collector lick his lips!!!!! Super piece.....

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Thanks for the comments on the Frontier globe. I’m still a little surprised I was able to buy it!
Here are the other globes I bought this year.

And the Oriental Bronze globe is new this year. Thanks to my friend Maurice for helping me complete this set.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Chris:
When you are ready to sell any of thoses Globes,let me know!
Great job last year.
Ric

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
RARIN TO GO

Wow! Great Frontier globe! That is one that is seldom seen and the red ripple just makes the lenses come alive. Great find, Congratualtions!

Here are a few more 2010 globe purchases from Maurice Campbell. Maurice has a growing group of oval globes. You take one or two ovals and put them with other "round" globes they look out of place, but when you get a bunch of them togather they make a great display. There are over 80 different known variations of oval globes out there and most of them are not that expensive.

Lets see some more 2010 globe purchases!

mc10.jpg mc9.jpg mc11.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few more of Maurice's 2010 globe purchases. The (Barnsdahl) Blue Motor Fuel is a very tough globe to find and the Ranger is also one that just never is offered for sale. I have just a few more 2010 globes to post for Maurice so stay tuned and lets see YOUR 2010 globe purchases!

Thanks!

Lonnie

mc13.jpg mc12.jpg mc8.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few oval globes that Aaron and I added to our oval globe collection this year. The Shamrock without the red outer border is a pretty rare globe and one that has eluded us for years. The H. L. Hunt Parade globe is one I have known about for years but was finally able to pry it out of an old time collection last winter.

The Cliff Brice is probably the most common and least valuable oval globe of all so we sold ours some time ago to a guy that really wanted one and finally managed to come back to one for our collection this year.

Lets see your 2010 globes!

IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0059.JPG

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Some globes from 2010. Some are single lenses but who can tell when they are on the shelf.

Last edited by wfort39663; Wed Feb 02 2011 06:03 PM.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the way you think Bill. Who can tell when they are on the shelf. Jarvis are you seeing this. LOL Love the life gasoline globe Bill really nice

Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice globes Bill. I'm with Shawn on the Life globe. Awesome! Chad

Looking for Tydol-Veedol-Flying A items, especially globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A lot of nice looking globes were bought last year, sure enjoyed seeing them

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are some my 2010 globe purchases. Already purchased a couple of Tydol globes for 2011. Hopefully it will be a good year and I can finish filling my globe shelf with Tydol globes.

Tydol Aviation resized.jpg Tydol Diesel Fuel Globe.jpg resized.jpg Tydol Flying A- Green Stripe resized.jpg Tydol Flying A -Red Stripe resized.jpg

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
And 1 of my 2 shoeboxes.

Tidex Shoebox resized.jpg

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Yeah I know it's a reproduction, but it's special because in 2010 I bought my first globe...And because it says so.

URL=http://img43.imageshack.us/i/mobilspecial015copy2.jpg/][/URL]

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These are my purchases for 2010. I didn't think I was a globe person, but....

GLOBES, DRIVEWAY SIGNS,BUILDING 022.jpg GLOBES, DRIVEWAY SIGNS,BUILDING 024.jpg GLOBES, DRIVEWAY SIGNS,BUILDING 026.jpg GLOBES, DRIVEWAY SIGNS,BUILDING 027.jpg

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think this qualifies, too....

GLOBES, DRIVEWAY SIGNS,BUILDING 025.jpg

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dale love the fosters they are on my list of globe to purchase someday

Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Sun Feb 06 2011 03:46 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: s932
Dale love the fosters they are on my list of globe to purchase someday

Thanks much...Dale

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well heres two of the ones that I bought this year. Mitch

PDR_0122.JPG PDR_0147.JPG
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Eeveryone;

GREAT posts!! I really like that Heart of Dixie globe that Dale posted, I have only ever seen one other one.

I have been battling computer problems the past two weeks. First my computer was sick (It had a virus)it worked good for a few days and then lost its mind. It turned out that the board was toasted. Fortuantly they were able to fix it and save all my photos and data. Unfortuantly I have not been able to access my photos.

I do have several more of Maurice's globes and few others to post before we start a new Globe of the Month. So bear with and stay tuned, it is going to be a good one!

Jim, are you by any chance coming up to Michigan in the coming days, I could use someone with your tech abilities to help me out! LOL!

Hope to see many of you guys in Peotone in a couple of weeks!

Lonnie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved