Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone!

It is time for a new Globe of the Month post. I waited until the middle of the month with this because I did not want to take anything away from Doc's Buys of the Year. By the way - Great Stuff in the Buys of the Year! We always enjoy looking at some of the Year's best purchases.

There were some globes pictured in the Buy's of the Year but I know that there were many, many more globes that you guys and gals bought. You have a chance now to post ALL of your globe purchases - the good, the bad, and the ugly, lets see them all!

One question that I have heard over and over again in the past year is "How well are globes selling?". My answer is always the same. I don't care what collectors collect, a serious collector is not going to quit collecting because the economy is down. HOWEVER, they are probably going to spend less money on their hobby. I have seen that in the globe hobby, globes are selling well, collectors are just not spending as much as they did a year or two back.

Aaron and I are a perfect example of this. We are avid collectors and have been for many years. We have also had to make some major $$ equipment purchases in the past year and I knew that we would not have a lot of money to spend on globes. Do we buy 2 globes all year for $2000 each or do we buy 20 globes over the course of the year for $200 each? The pictures speak for themselves. We had a shelf in the shed to put a bunch of globes and we had more fun at shows and auctions this year looking for under $200 globes than we have had in a long time. You don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy globes!

This post is NOT intended to be a dialog about whether globes are going up or down in price or whether they are a good investment. This post is about sharing photos of your globe purchases of the past year. Lets see some photos and hear the stories behind the globes, where you bought them or from whom.

Whether you collect globes or just enjoy looking at photos lets have some fun with this! As always post any POSTIVE comments or thoughts that you would like to share on this post.

Thanks and lets see those 2010 globe purchases!

Lonnie & Aaron

IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0071.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A few more 2010 purchases.

IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0074.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres a photo of 2 globes that I bought this year. The Fyre Drop is NOS and came from another Old Gasser and the Cities Service is a 9+ globe that I bought from Scott Benjamin.
I see lower globe prices as an opportunity to add to my collection at a lower cost than I had expected! After 62 years of life, I've learned a few things and one of them is to buy when the prices are on the downswing! Prices on anything will continue to rise and fall along with the economy and I don't see this as anything more than that.
The economy would not stop me from collecting these wonderful artifacts, it will only slow me down some but lower prices will really help! I hope that these lower prices will allow me to be able to purchase some higher end globes at prices that I can afford! I'm on the hunt!

Fyre Drop--resized.jpg Crew Levick resized.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'M TYPICALLY NOT A GLOBE COLLECTOR, BUT THIS ONE CAUGHT MY EYE @ THE MASON/DIXON SHOW AND IS THE 3RD ORIGINAL IN MY SMALL GLOBE COLLECTION...

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I got a few globes the past year;

The Power X was from Iowa gas last year. The two piece topper was used as a way to advertise the new higher octane rating.

I got these two at Iowa also. I had a single US Motors before but wanted a complete globe. I think I got it from the Pease/ Claiborn table.

I got the Sinclair Ethyl from Jackie Knott. I picked up a second version of this globe from Jack last week at Columbia

I got this single Blue Sunoco on metal at the Columbus show. Not Sinclair but it matches the colors of a pump I had. I picked up a second lens for the back from Scott last year also

I picked this one up for our local American Legion. We leave it lit all the time like a night light

I bought two different Pennant lenses from Scott. I traded off one to my brother for a match to the other.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lonnie, That group of globes reminds me of the Globes On A Budget series you authored a "few" years back that inspired me to concentrate on collecting globes.
Due to my non-petro interests accounting for a bigger chunk of my discretionary spending I only bought one globe in 2010. I went to the fall Peotone show more as a social event rather than looking to buy anything. I had hardly walked in the door when an old friend hooked me with a price and terms I couldn't refuse on this Pierce Pennant globe.

DSC09163.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Good looking globes everyone!

Kevin, I really appreciate your thoughts on collecting and the economy, your comments are right on the money. I am only a few years younger than you and I to have seen value of homes, land, stocks, and collectibles fluctuate over the years. I have tried to follow the advice I always give to other collectors - Buy what you like and can afford... and have fun!

Lets see more of your 2010 globe purchases!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first venture into buying Globes I found 2 Champlin globes last year since I collect Champlin was very happy with them hope to find a couple more Champlin globes this coming year.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Those look nice!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I didnt buy a lot of globes in 2010 as in previous years. I focused on quality this year, and Missouri companies. My first of the year was This Superior that I got from Bill Fortune. Then I got the MFA globe from Jarvis. I badgered him for two years before I broke him down, it is truly my favorite globe hands down. Next globe is the Lion Knix Knox. I bought it from Lonnie and it was at Iowa gas I bet I looked at that globe a dozen times before I bought it. That was the first globe of mine that broke the over a $1000 dollar market. Its funny how it gets easier to buy those more expensive globes after you buy the first one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by s932; Tue Jan 18 2011 03:32 PM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Globes are selling quite well right now. Demand is also very good as I speak to about 10-15 people a week that are new to the hobby and they are looking for globes. My "wants list" grows every day and I just can't find enough globes to fill the demand. The upper end globes are down a bit more, but the demand is still there and these pieces are selling if the price is right. There have been a lot of pieces in the $10,000 to $15,000 sell in the last several months. They also want good signs and pumps too in many cases. We sold over 55 globes in December alone which is typically a slower month. Yes prices are down a bit but if you can buy at a better bargain and sell a little less they will sell! I've taken this time to add to my collection on some good deals on some better pieces. Our hobby is still strong so just enjoy it!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I only have two globes in my collection and I purchased them both last year? Hope this doesn't start a trend.....

keith1.jpg globe3.jpg
P
P
Two adds last year......the General Ethyl from the Matthews Auction at Iowa Gas, and the Burgess Ethyl from Scott Benjamin..........

Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Keith and Scott hit the nail right on the head about globes. Alot of people keep saying the prices are down and will not return but I don't believe it for a minute. Anyway, buy what you like, and your personal return will be great just with enjoyment. Keep the photos coming!!!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys;

Great posts and comments so far! Lets continue to see more globe photos and fell free to share ANY postive thoughts or comments about collecting globes you might have.

Thanks!

Lonnie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved