Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jarvis #228441 Mon Jan 24 2011 08:06 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
I am sure Tim and Kevin are not getting rich on Peotone swap meet. LOL
Just saying to keep shows alive the cost needs to be reasonable. I can say i don't think i have ever sold anything at this show... not that i even try to really. If the building to rent is getting to costly look at other venues.

John,are you getting Alzheimers already(HeeHee)? I bought a pair of DX salt & pepper shakers from you this past fall. That was my first time at Peotone. I didn't bring a lot to sell. Did sell a few things, but overall, I was a little disappointed. I hear over and over that the show brings in a great crowd but that they don't spend a lot. Of course there are always exceptions. Tim and Kevin seemed to do a great job. It is getting tougher and tougher for show promotors. The buying public don't seem to have the discretionary income they used to. Roger Cherry gives me a hard time about the cans(for example) that I would buy for $10.00 to sell for $15.00. A couple of years ago, I could sell them all day long. I used to sell a lot of smalls. Hardly ever anymore.Most of us collectors will rent a space and try to sell a few things and help offset the cost of "admission". I'm getting to where I don't care about setting up much anymore as it's like work. I do like seeing people at the shows as John says, so I will continue to go to shows, just won't be as likely to vend. Pat.

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
puregas #228482 Tue Jan 25 2011 05:44 AM
Online Cool
Even more now, we look at various things and ask, "Is it worth it?" Add the cost of gas, motel, swap meet space and your time together and see if it is worth it to go. The same for the guys who put on swap meets. A lot of work, up front costs and risk of losing money must make the promoters ask the same question of themselves.

What a loss it would be to the hobby if fewer and fewer vendors would set up at swap meets and fewer promoters would host shows?

If it was all about the money or wise investments of time, much of the hobby would evaporate. I've wasted plenty of both at times with little to show for it. I still really enjoy finding that special item and even just seeing cool stuff up close that I can't afford. It feels good to sell an item to someone who appreciates owning it no matter the price. Not to mention talking to fellow collectors and seeing old friends.

I haven't figured out how to put a value on that stuff, but when it gets to cost too much, I guess I'll stop.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #228501 Tue Jan 25 2011 07:25 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jim,
I totally agree. If your a dealer and sell items at every show i guess $75 isn't bad because if you sell $1000 on ebay it would cost you $100.
It's not all about money here... it's about promoters trying to keep the cost down and passing that on to vendors! Why just stay at the same place over and over if the price of the building keeps going up. Tim and Kevin do a great job with out a doubt! I will be going to Peotone and will have the same fun... just cost me a little more for my fun. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #229424 Sat Jan 29 2011 05:31 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hey John - if this thread has done anything at all it's turned your decision to go around.So I guess I'll be seeing you there.That's great as I too enjoy seeing everyone at shows and miss a lot of old gassers that are gone.After all that is what this thing is really about friendships.I don't like the idea of are hobby struggling because of several reasons but I too think that they do a great job.We are in uncharted waters in this hobby at this time and will hope it get's better soon.Larry Robertson and I have been doing this show since Wayne started it yrs ago and I can't tell you how many times I might sell better on Sat or Sun,it all depends on what I have to sell.I guess I'm rambling so I'll close by saying I see your point John as we as dealers are not doing as well all are expenses keep climbing but that is something we indure or not.

leonardoil
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved