Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I recently "discovered" old gas stations and related memorabilia. I have come to really like the old Texaco stations and Texaco signs. I thought that I might like to make a small replica Texaco sign to have near my workshop. I thought that perhaps a half size replica would be about right. I was wondering if anyone out there would have an original Texaco sign support post or stand that they could measure for me. I have included a sketch with the dimensions that I would need. Once I have the original dimensions, I could scale them down to the size I need. Each letter corresponds to a dimension that I am looking for. You could reply with a marked up copy of my sketch, or with a dimension for each letter.

Thank you in advance,

Chris Rocen
cgrocen@sasktel.net

tex002-1.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These 1936 installation instructions will give you a couple of the measurement you're seeking. I'm in the slow process (it's been over a year) of building a 1/6 scale model using the 12" repro signs.
You'll have to print these and then tape them together to read it.
I used these instruction to install a full sized sign at my place when I lived in Wisconsin. (you know, where the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS are from !)
That last part is for Mick.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi everyone,

Hello "Blacktree", I sent a PM to upsgaspumps. I will be waiting for his reply.

Hello "always lookin", That post is a bit high to measure! Thanks for the link and the pics of the Texaco sign.

Hello "Scott Baselt", thank you for posting the original Texaco drawing of the sign post! I am a draftsman by trade, so seeing this drawing is great! You are right though, most of the dimensions I need are not on this drawing. It looks like the details of the individual pieces would be on other drawings in the set. This drawing is DS-L-2874-A which is the installation drawing (as shown in the drawing title), and the details would most likely be on other drawings numbered 2874-1, 2874-2, 2874-3 etc.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I am sure someone will be able to take the measurements I am looking for.

Cheers,

Chris

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you can wait until the weekend I can get you the dimensions as I have a texaco pole on the ground.

Barry
C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello Barry,

Yes, certainly I can wait until the weekend. That would be great! I look forward to hearing from you then.

Best regards,

Chris

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I have a buddy that has one on ground,that his wife won't let him put up. Was sitting around waiting for american pickers to swing by on their way out of Tennesseeeeee, but they never showed. can get what you need,if you don't have yet. Need to see if he is ready to sell away.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
C
cgrocen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Loyd,

I don't have any dimensions for the Texaco post yet. However, forum member bmclemore said that he will be able to get some dimensions for me on the weekend. But, if you would like to take some measurements too, that would be OK.

Do you think that Mike and Frank would have been able to get that sign post into their van if they would have stopped by? LOL!

Cheers,

Chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They would have called Mikey's Brother to bring a trailer

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Will see if I can get over there tommorow, I'll have my grand son,and won't go if the roads are bad. You know we freak over half in. of snow or less,down here. Pickers is what it is ,made for tv.They did have nice gas pump last night. The middle swung from side to side for easy fill. Have seen pump before ,but can,t remember the correct terms so I won't pretend to know. Cheers

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You're probably thinking of the Wayne 100a with the swing arm.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
THATS IT. site glass was off center. Thats a beauty you have there. Thanks for sharing it.

L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hi Chris. I just saw your post regarding the Texaco pole measurements. I have one on the ground. Here are the measurements: Larry

"A" -- Diameter 73 1/4"
B -- 41 3/4"
C -- 15 1/4"
D -- 134 5/8"
E -- 3/4"
F -- 20"
G -- 14"
H -- 143 7/8"
I -- 9 1/4"
J -- 3 1/2"
K -- 8"
L -- 4"
M -- 3 1/2"
N -- 3 1/2"
O -- 14"

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Chris Just got back with measurements. See Larry bet me ,and is pretty much what I have. A is slight different,but I was trying to do by self with soft spool tape. Sould of measured across widest point and done math, now that I think about it. Slight different in L as it tapers to 4 1/2 and M tapers from 4 1/2 to 4. and N is 4. Not that big a deal. This one may not be ORG. as I'm no expert. Didn't welcome you last night, I'm new myself. Think you have found great sight with a lot of guys and gals allways willing to help. CHEERS

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Wed Feb 09 2011 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved