Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#232518 Thu Feb 10 2011 11:29 AM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Who actually remade this sign:
I know who has sold it, just wanting to know who made it.

Thanks
Mark

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I do believe these originate with this seller.

I'm not positive he actually makes them himself - but he seems to be the original seller of all these so-called "Re-Issues".

FYI -NOT in fact a re-issue as that is only possible if the ORIGINAL COMPANY was the one that authorized - and had produced - the re-issued item.

Brand new unmarked reproductions or fantasy items using computer-generated type fonts.

Later . . .

Jim

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
the two auctions are from two seperate sellers

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Sorry, I ment 'treasureray' is the individual I think is responsible for these being produced.

The Seller 'lacie51' is also selling these - but I think he gets them from treasureray.

Later . . .

Jim

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I believe those are made by Vintage Concepts Company in PA.. He makes a limited number of them. vcsigns.com is the site.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Bud:

You are correct about VC - but the majority of the signs in question were never sold by them. T-ray may be having them actually make the signs - but VC is not selling any of them on his site.

VC did make the oval Clipper sign and it is/was date-marked at the bottom. Vintage Concepts has been very good about following Copyright/Trademark rules and date-marking the products they make. The Clipper image has been sold out on VC's site for some time now.

As far as I can see, NONE of these so-called 'Re-issue' signs have a date on them anywhere. Once they are sold for the first time - there is no way to tell by looking at them when they were produced.

Later . . .

Jim

Hey guys, this is a re-issue of the old Socony sign. It is a beautiful 2-sided flange sign just like the original yet instead of costing thousands of dollars, guys can enjoy the beauty of this great sign at a very affordable price for their collection be it vintage or a mix of modern signs.

By the way, anyone can re-issue a sign it is not limited to the parent company, also this sign is not made by VC signs.

Have a great evening!

By the way, while I'm sure it was just an oversight - I was not sure why this sign ended up in this "unmarked" thread since it is clearly marked as a "new" sign. No one is trying to pass this sign as an original. I have quoted below a line from our description.

Many Thanks

"Ok when it comes to re-issue signs this is about as good as they get. This item is a Socony Motor Gasoline porcelain coated flange sign. This is an entirely new item and the sign is made to replicate the famous and collectable Standard Service sign of the past. The sign is large and measures 20" x 24" and is constructed of very thick 14 gauge steel. I have a close up showing the gauge of this sign"

Last edited by Mikemas; Thu Feb 10 2011 06:31 PM.
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Mike,

Not saying you were trying to sell this one as original. Yes it is a great reissue/reproduction/etc.

I was just curious who actually manufactured it.

I picked this thread mainly for the "reproduction" piece of it.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

No problem - I'm trying to work with the forum members to earn their trust in my store. I recently made some changes to my wording on some items. Seems there is a few different opinions with regard how items listed should be worded.

I can say this - I invite anyone to look through my eBay feedback there has not been one complaint with regard to our wording or the authenticity of our vintage or modern signs. We work very hard to run a 100% professional store that conforms to eBay's policies.

Thanks

Mike

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Now that you referred to it, is it marked in any way by the maker?
thanks
Mark

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Thanks Mike for responding.

The reason I ask is that its becomes a problem down the road.
and its been a topic of MANY discussions on here.
(Not that marking a sign totally prevents fraud either-they just chip away the markings!)

So the initial sellers of the items are generally honest.

Then some buyer down the road decides to chip them up and sell them as original. This applies to ALL and any reproduction signs(I'm not singling you out). I see this as a HUGE problem in a few years.

So the goal here is we try to get people educated on what is authentic and what is not. And when we can, try to get the manufacturers (whoever they are) to mark reproductions as reproductions so later on we can have a reference point on the sign to look out for.

And we also try to get the people that arent upfront or evasive in their descriptions to do so-some do and then some tell us some colorful words and do nothing.The goal being to educate the buying public. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

To be honest, my whole reason for bringing up this whole thread was to find a source for this sign and potentially pay less for it. I am the one that called you about it tonight.

(I wasnt trying to get on a soapbox about repos or about you or your auctions-)

Thanks again
Mark Standard

Mark,

I fully understand - however it is not common business practice to reveal our vendors names for competitive reasons. In addition, most sign manufactures do not distribute their products on at retail level. The sign is priced respectably and it is a well made product that should last for years.

Have a great weekend!

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
So Mike - are you going to answer the question or not?

ARE THESE BRAND NEW SIGNS MARKED WITH A CURRENT DATE OF MANUFACTURER?

This is the reason these signs are being discussed here in the 'Known & Suspected Unmarked Reproduction' section.

You've posted a number of justifications/explainations on these - but never answered the main question we are asking.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: T-way
So Mike - are you going to answer the question or not?

ARE THESE BRAND NEW SIGNS MARKED WITH A CURRENT DATE OF MANUFACTURER?

This is the reason these signs are being discussed here in the 'Known & Suspected Unmarked Reproduction' section.

You've posted a number of justifications/explainations on these - but never answered the main question we are asking.

Later . . .

Jim

I would like to know? I don't have a problem with them as long as they are clearly marked.

Last edited by texaspelican; Fri Feb 11 2011 07:43 AM.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved