Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#232965 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Lets take a poll.
should reproductions be marked or unmarked?
please vote and leave a comment.

marked or unmarked reproductions
single choice
reproductions should be marked (94%, 90 Votes)
reprductions should be unmarked (2%, 2 Votes)
don't matter (4%, 4 Votes)
Total Votes: 96
Voting on this poll ends: 0 seconds ago
Last edited by texaspelican; Fri Feb 11 2011 10:35 PM.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
all reproductions should be marked!

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i agree, it would definately make my job a lot easier and i wouldn't have to bug Paddy so much....lol

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Allen, you are never a bother my young friend.

Paddy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ALL REPOP & FANTASY items should be marked in a Permanent manner. Double sided should be marked on Both sides.
That way when someone is trying to Deceive the buyer, they will all be chipped to remove the Date in the same area.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think everyone knows where I stand... Mark every repop and fantasy item!

The only way values in this hobby will survive and hopefully grow is to ensure repop and fantasy items are marked. Every collector works hard to ensure their collection(s) are as complete and valuable as possible.

Some (most) collectors don't have a lot of extra disposable income, so they save for a period of time to be able to afford an item. An unmarked repop can hurt or destroy the hard earned value of that item.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Sure make it easy on the newbie. At this point. I'm scared to buy anything,thats not rusty,broke,or looks like it's been ran over two or three times by a truck. All though I realize theres a thing called Rapid Aging. Yes I know where Bob stands, seen the other side of you last night with the repo sign topic, still you was politely blunt.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Fri Feb 11 2011 11:20 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Loyd, that is why we try to help new collectors and experienced collectors alike.

A big problem is, one needs to ask about an item before it is purchased. Too often the question of originality is raised after the item is purchased, then it is sometimes/often-times too late to help.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
. Learned yesterday how to tell real sign pole.Look for plate on pole. I was looking for stamp on in side of base. Got to get humble enough to ask. Allways some one willing to help, reason I keep coming back. THANKS

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess the 1 that voted for NO Date, stands to make $$$ of of REPOP items!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
MARKED!!!!!!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Marked, but not only to distinguish from originals...if it's a nice piece of work, what better publicity for getting commissions to reproduce hard to find pieces. I am guessing correctly identified reproductions and fantasy pieces have their place in the market or is this wrong? Do marked reproductions also diminish the value of the rare pieces?

Last edited by Nicole; Sat Feb 12 2011 06:07 AM.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have been a member on this site since its infancy and original vs repo has been discussed so many times I can't count them. One question has never been clearly answered IMO, except for the affordability issue. Why would anyone even want a repo/fantasy item?

I fully understand the necessity for repo globes and the 12 inch signage for restoring a pump. Bought many myself when I used to restore pumps. A guy wanting a Polly pump is not going to pay for an original globe and decals...if they could even be found. So I have no problem with this segment of the hobby.

Now the unmarked or even marked larger signs, die cut versions and flange signs, globes, fake oil cans...these I do NOT understand why anyone would want one for their collection. "originals are too expensive". Well, so what? I don't have deep pockets and there are thousands of items I will never own because of cost. But you know what? I will never own them and I appreciate what I do have and can afford. I will not defile my collection by putting fake items into it.

I visited a collection once and commented on a couple of rare (and expensive) signs the guy had. I was very impressed until he told me they were repos. My opinion of the collection went from a #10 to a #1 regardless of what other items he had. I also lost all respect for him as a collector.

If someone can explain why a fake is desirable, please do as I have wondered this for years and just don't get it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
UNMARKED = TAKING SOMEBODY'S WALLET FOR A RIDE!

ALL REPRODUCTIONS SHOULD BE DATED SOMEHOW....EVEN IF IT'S PHOTOCOPYING AN OLD ADVERTISEMENT FROM A MAGAZINE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I agree with comments here. All should have markings. It seems there has been a dramatic increase in the variety of repops. I am still learning, some of these are obvious. The others.........If it looks suspicious, I steer clear. I can only see it getting more difficult in the future to improve my collection.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved