Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23358 Tue Apr 17 2001 09:30 AM
H
hutch22 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I have been trying to find out about a large set of dishes that I inherited from my
grandparents and I was hoping perhaps someone here might know something about it. My grandfather bought the set a piece at a time I believe during the 50's or 60's
(I'm not sure which) from his local Texaco station. I think you filled up with gas and were eligible to buy a piece. It's white dinnerware and there are tons of pieces including plates, bowls, coffee cups, gravy
urns, serving bowls etc etc. It is not for sale at this point but I would like to know if these are collectible items.

I also have this big (almost the size of a 5 gallon bucket) metal can that has some kind of grease or lubricant in it. It's Texaco and the can is white, green with I think black and red letters and it says something about lubricant on it. It looks really old. It has the lid inside and it's only got a little of the lubricant in it. It's in fair shape.

Can anyone tell me anything about these items?

Thanks

------------------
Have a GREAT Day!

Have a GREAT Day!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#23359 Wed Apr 18 2001 06:13 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Assuming the dishes do not have any marking on them they are probably a promotion from a station that did it on his own, without the help from the oil company. National Petroleum News magazine during the 1950's and 1960's have many advertisements from companies offering their dishes (glasses, appliances, and just about anything) of independent station owners, so they could have their own promotion. They supplied banners, flyers, etc. to help with the promotion. I am now writing a series of articles (in addition to my gas pump articles) for "Check the Oil!" magazine covering promotions. The first one is in the present issue, now being delivered.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#23360 Wed Apr 18 2001 06:15 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I thought I would add this. They probably have nothing to do with Texaco, and since they are generic, they probably have little or no value to the petroliania collectors.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved