Next Thread
Print Thread
#234344 Thu Feb 17 2011 09:58 AM
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
Morning Old Gassers If you have can that is rusty,paint poor. Once you clean up as much as possible,is it exceptable behavior to clear coat. To protect from further deterioation. Would this be considered defacing value or enhancing value.I know that,refinshing furniture,which was a plus years ago is frowned upon today.Disagree with the new theory,still believe a good job to like new makes for a beautiful piece.Cans in bad shape can never be brought back to that state, but maybe frozen,at the level at which they are found. THANKS in advance for your advice.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I haven't done it yet, but plan on trying this technique.

Take a very good quality auto wax and wax the can. I store most of my cans in a unheated garage that was built in the early 1930s. Right now I just clean my cans, remove any surface rust the best I can.

In time they do start to get some light surface rust on them again and I clean them again.

This was okay for the more common cans I was collecting, now I am collecting more specific cans, I also want to protect them better and right now upgrading my garage all at once isn't in the budget.

If there is a better technique I would be interested in reading it.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
If it's rusted and porous the clear will not hold. For clear to stick you need a good clean surfaced for it to bond to. I did clear a porcelain sign which came out great....for a can I would leave it As Is and store in a moisture free area.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF it's Common can, you won't hurt the value, BUT IF it's a somewhat valuable can it will hurt value.
There is a vendor @ Iowa Gas that repaints & clears all cans that he sells.

Post a picture or 2 of the can before you do anything to it.

L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
The can is pennant ford 1/2 gallon,org post#229482 in for sale forumn. I can't post pics as I'm about as new to computer as I am to old gas. Never had one in front of my till'about 4 months ago,and it's just me setting here trying to figure things out on my own. Need to get someone to show me a few things on my end,and I might just make it. Maybe someone can drag that org. post over here for me . THANKS I think it's just a little tired from all the mail travel,as it just got to me yesterday. It can rest now as I'm proud to get it.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Thu Feb 17 2011 11:45 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I personally wouldn't clear it either.

L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
Thanks Dick for moving pics, should of ask if this was a option on the front end. Might have generated more interest. Only reason this come to mind, like Bob, I have no heat in garage,as it's on commerical rate.Lights and heat in bathroom, everything else subject to be ran off or cords from house. Thats the way it is in TN.,when inspecter has had run in with contractor. Thanks to those that chimed in ,gathered up all my wax today.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Lloyd, I use Meguiars Cleaner Wax on my cans. Once over for cleaning, (I do not let this dry), then a wax layer that I let dry. Try to clean the tops up some using the same method and if really rusty, use aluminum foil on it. At least it leaves a nice "patina". I would NOT use a clear coat.

You may want to invest in a de-humidifyer for your garage. I don't think the dryer cold air we have here in Tn affects the cans like the hot muggy summer season with 100% humidity. I have air in my shop but only use the de-humidifyer in summer months as it's a lot cheaper to run.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved