Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
There was a red fire chief pump on Pickers last week that I'd never seen before. The side of the pump rotated so the hose would be pointing to the left or right. Looked like a 40's or 50's era pump. Did anyone see that episode? I would like to have one if anyone knows of one. I've never seen one like it before.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I THINK YOUR REFERRING TO A WAYNE 100

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I agree, it was a Wayne 100. It looked like a real nice survivor, that's for sure, very complete. I thought the $801 they paid for it was worth it, but I don't know pump values really.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Definitely a Wayne 100. You should be able to find one for about 400 - 600.

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Scott, shared his with us,reply #232214, in gen. discussion,as we was talking about it the night after it aired.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a "before and after" photo of a Wayne 100a that I found in Yahoo images. The images came from Cheese's website 2009.

Before:

After:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I love those pumps ,my friend has two of them complete.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Nice looking pump,now I'm pumped!

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I could have bought one of them a couple of years ago for $300.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't know what someone referred to as swing arm, that is a drum containing the hose. Just like any other pump you can serve a car on either side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320659463411&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If anyone is interested in this literature, be sure to purchase it through OLD GAS.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Feb 22 2011 05:27 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Jack is right. these pumps were also called pregnant waynes by some of us. ;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Would be darn hard to get $800 for one....and they found someone to pay them $1200!! Them guys are good!

The pump is heavy! The drum is no lightweight.

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Tue Feb 22 2011 06:05 PM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
They have heavy hitters as clientele. Decorators, restaurants, prop guys, and celebs are now buying the stuff they find, and more so than before as they have shown with thier last show. So money is no object. One that was in the condition that that one looked to be should go for $800.00 when the pump plates are included in the sale.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I know someone that would pay $20 for a common quaker state can...This is what these shows have done to this hobby....People think anything gas and oil is worth BIG Money. In my opinion they paid a fair price for that pump. I believe the pump plates were original too. By far the best collection was the Lawyer in Florida. Some nice quality stuff in that barn!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
I wonder how much of that show is staged. It usually takes a while to set those shots up, get the lighting right, etc, but they act like they're just poking around then find the treasures.

R.R.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
I know someone that would pay $20 for a common quaker state can.

How many [24 can] Cases do you think he will Buy ? LOL

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
High end clientele. The fellow that bought the two ford neons. Nick name Corkey,owns CORKER TIRE. He has bought rights and molds to reproduce vintage tires. Goodyear Polyglass ,Firestone redlines, Model A, also vintage motorcycle.No matter who you buy thru,they probably come from corker.Super nice guy,that treats everybody the same,don't matter if you got a dollar,or a millon.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The 100a that was posted before and after belongs to one of my friends. We got that pump, a Wayne 100b (no hose drum)and a short Tok 39 all for $350.00.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I read somewhere that they spend an average of two days shooting each location.

The show is slowly changing into another operation repo! frown The guys are turning more into actors with each episode from what I see.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I have already gotten tired of the show. It is staged. Did you see last weeks show? You can see the additional items in the van or being carried out to the van. They also let it slip that they are shopping for people in advance and not just picking items randomly. I did however like the way the girl decorated William Schatners place. They picked the right things for the room. And they also said it took all summer to find the items to decorated it.

Mike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF as one said on Letterman, they sell $500,000 a year then WHY are they doing a TV show? Cause the show pays more than what they Claim they are selling!
Even farmers will act foolish when there is a TV camera crew on their property!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I THOUGHT THE EPISODE WITH WILLIAM SHATNER AND ALL THE SPACE ONE LINERS WAS.....YAWN!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Maybe we could get the Lawyer from Florida to represent us for the "Fake sign section" LOL!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
OP Offline
I like the show but I agree that it's starting to feel a little staged.

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
A lot of what they buy is taken to the location, before they shoot. I was on one of their shoots. Ironic to read what you guys wrote. I just sent a email to the production co. that does the show. I told Jay that they are getting silly. These guys are not actors, Its too staged and people are taking notice.

T
T
I agree. I caught a blooper a couple of weeks ago. Remember last season they bought the carnival ride and then Danielle sold it to some guy to restore? Well there was a show a few weeks ago where someone went to the shop to buy something, I think a sign for their bar they were opening, anyway there sat the ride in the background. Obviously they threw that clip in as a filler for this season. I still like the show. Wish I could find places like they do to pick.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I saw the dental unit they picked a few weeks ago in the back of their van when they where at Captain Kirk's house. I think that's to be expected on a show like this. I still enjoy watching it. I think they really enjoy finding things just like all of us here, and for me that is fun to watch that excitement of finding something you haven't seen before.

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I still like the show regardless, it's entertainment first and foremost. If a person feels the show is wasting an hour of your life quit watching it. It's entertainment, don't take it for more than what it is. I for one am still entertained for an hour in the evening before bed on Mondays, and I always look forward to the new episodes. It just gets old reading the negative comments about them on here as much as I dislike everyone I know asking me if I seen the last episode or if I watch THAT Pickers show on TV when they hear I collect old gas stuff! smile Looks like most everyone is still watching the show from what I gather.
Personally not wanting to start anything but I haven't ever commented on the "Great American Pickers Debate" that comes up frequently on here so thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.
Have a good one,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I enjoy seeing the people they meet more that the two co-stars and seeing what some of them have in their collections. I've been a Shatner fan for years, but I'd rather see them focus on the sellers and not an individual buyer. JM2C Brady

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was on the History channel's discussion board after their first episode and they had a ton of negative comments about how they were ripping people off. The History channel had to comment that there were relatives and neighbors behind the camera and they all agreed that the prices were fair and he ( older gentleman with all the signs) was treated ok.

Wanted: Nebraska advertising items Cushman, Dempster, Archer oil etc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved