Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#24048 Thu Dec 16 2004 10:15 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
could you post how to post pictures. i know you guys had it on a while ago but i cant find it. thanks.steve

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#24049 Thu Dec 16 2004 10:29 AM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Steve,

There is a "Help" tab at the bottom of most screens that can help you find answers to questions or you can always click on the "Search" tab at the top of the page to find topics relating to questions you may have. Below is the information on how to post an image using Image Shack. If I can do it, you won't have a problem if you follow Jim's directions.

Mac

Once you are at ImageShack, click "Browse" to find the image on your computer to upload. Once you have selected your image, click "Host It" to upload. After you upload, copy the ImageShack code marked for "Forums" to paste into messages on Shop Talk. The code with "[img]" works, the code with "[img=" does not. The thumbnail code option with [img] in the middle of it is the most efficient.
To copy, left click your cursor at the begining of the code text, hold down your left mouse button and drag the cursor to highlight all the code in the option you choose. With your cursor over the highlighted text, click your right mouse button and choose "Copy" from the menu. Go to the Shop Talk reply or new topic submission form. put your cursor in the message box and right click. Choose "Paste" from that menu. The code should appear there. And the image should appear when you submit the form.
Trouble? Send us a message with a request for assistance or attach an image to: shoptalk@oldgas.com

#24050 Thu Dec 16 2004 01:24 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thanks Mac, I seem to get one picture on OK, but when I try to have a group (2-3-4-etc)I can't get them to post as I should. Elden

#24051 Thu Dec 16 2004 03:00 PM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Elden,

When I'm wanting to post more than one picture, I post a topic here in Oldgas, reduce the screen and open Image Shack, upload the images one at a time, click "host it", then copy the thumbnail code from Image Shack to the post I have open in Oldgas. Basically upload each image one-by-one in Image Shack and copy the thumbnail code that is created for each image to the message you are going to post here. That's worked for me in the past. Not sure if there's an easier way to upload multiple images without paying Image Shack to be able to more than one image at a time? Try it and see if that'll work for you.

Mac

#24052 Thu Dec 16 2004 03:23 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Elden, you should be able to post three or four photos in a post from image shack as long as you resize the photos before you upload them to image shack. I size my pictues at 640 x 480 pixels and post them that size. They take up more room than the thumbnails on this site, but at least you can usually make out the detail without having to click over to Image Shack.

If you try and post more than four photos on Oldgas the site tends to lock up and can't load that many. I know Ron Bettin was trying this the other day and got very frustrated like I have with losing your whole post and having to re do it. (That's why I spread out the photos on Haulin' Pumps). You will also have the same problem with a couple of photos if the pictures are too large.

To re-size photos you will need another program like some software that came with your camera or Photoshop. I use a program called "Photoimpression" that is pretty easy to use.

It sounds like a lot of work but once you get it down it's pretty easy (as you can probably tell from all of the photos I post).

I'm sure there are some members that regret telling me how to post photos, but Image Shack has been a great boon for the site because in the time that I have been posting I have seen a great increase in the number of photos and people posting them.

In the long run that can only HTH (Help the Hobby)!

Smile for the Photos and...

Say Cheese!

C Cragg
#24053 Thu Dec 16 2004 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not sure of the limit but you can post up to 6 or 7 images per post. Be sure to leave a space between the code for the images. If you don't leave a space before and after the code, the pictures won't load. Don't forget the [img] and [/img] tags when you paste the short cut.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#24054 Thu Dec 16 2004 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After pasting your 1st image, SUBMIT REPLY. Then go get another image. Click on EDIT [pen & paper icon to the right of your user name] to add more images or text.

#24055 Thu Dec 16 2004 06:00 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
The limit isn't necessarily the number of pictures but the size of the images. Smaller pictures, more pictures, bigger pictures less pictures. Not sure that there is an actual "limit" as much as a matter of download time. Also depends on your internet connection. If you're using dial up it will probably take more time than DSL or cable.

I know that the bigger pictures (even 640x480) take longer for the dial ups to download. That's a bummer!

That's one of the reason I have forced myself to learn how to re-size.

Let's hear from the dial up guys.

Do the pictures in my posts take a long time to download on your computers?

Give us some examples of which photos download faster (because I can always make mine smaller).

Obviously the sacrifice with smaller photos is that you can't alway see the detail.

It has a lot to do with how your screen resolution is set. Mine is very high so the wide posts fit on my screen, but if yours is low you will have to scroll to the right alot. The width of the post is driven by how wide the pictures appear.

C Cragg
#24056 Thu Dec 16 2004 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Curt,
Yes, there is a limit to the number of images allowed in one post. I think its seven, but I'm not sure.
Your pics are slow to load for me. Mine were too. I now crop most of my images and resize them. Pictures I take are 640 X 480 and I reduce many of them by 20%. They load much faster and still show decent detail.
One more thing. Several guys send pics to me to post for them (thats fine, happy to do it). When I edit the size and crop them, I also brighten them up. It makes details much easier to see.

Here's a picture at 640 X 480

The same picture with the background cropped.

Cropped and re-sized to 512 X 340

And finally, cropped, re-sized, and lightened up a bit

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 12-16-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#24057 Thu Dec 16 2004 07:08 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Bob,
Due to my camera, the size of my original photos is massive (1656 x 1242 pixels) so the 640 x 480 is a big reduction.

What is the pixel size of your finished photos after the 20% reduction?

For brightness I almost always use my flash, even in daylight for fill.

Tried this photo at a 20% reduction from 640 x 480

Ended up 512x384

C Cragg
#24058 Thu Dec 16 2004 07:14 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
thanks for the info mac.here it goes...................[url=http://img99.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img99&image=phillipsethyl6qy.jpg][

#24059 Thu Dec 16 2004 07:15 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
didnt seem to work i'll try again.

#24060 Thu Dec 16 2004 07:17 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
by jobe i think ive got it...ya hoooo.
that is very easy even for the non computer person like myself.
thanks mac!!!!!

#24061 Thu Dec 16 2004 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, that globes looks like it might be from my collection. LOL

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED Phillips 44 Items
Kansas City, Missouri 64151

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#24062 Thu Dec 16 2004 07:21 PM