Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
T-way suggested that we bring back the Petro FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions. We see the same questions come up regularly from newer members. Setting up a single place with answers to those questions would be a helpful time saver for new members and veterans.

* I'd like your feedback with your ideas on questions that should be included in the Petro FAQ list.

* If you could include links to old Shop Talk topics that answered those questions - that would be very helpful.

Post your thoughts and links here. I'll work on a way to display them in a format that is easy to use, and clear to understand.

Thanks!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What is the correct color code for the (fill in the blank) company? So I can paint my pump and/or oil dispenser the correct color.

Be a help to them and the membership if the answer of; Match to the globe and/or pump plate or the decals you are going to use... was given, IMO.

Save them some running around trying to determine something that maybe soooooo far off from the color of the accessories they are going to use.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I know that I ask questions that have been asked before, or at least I have, at times, in the past. I must beg off because I do not read everything that is posted as far as answering someone else's question. It just seeems easier to ask than to search. I do try to help out with answers for others when I can. I'm quite sure that the FAQ's would be helpful. Dave Folck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Removing glass cylinders.
Removing paint from painted/porcelain signs.
Is this sign/globe/can original or repop.
Easier search option [I still have problems After reading inst.].

Would be nice IF ALL members would list a City & State in profile.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"To Gut or not to gut my old pump?"

Joey

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've got to admit, Dick and Joey hit some of the biggest one's I see on here. I think it's a good idea if it can be done right but it still depends on people doing some simple reading and directing themselves as opposed to just picking a forum and just throwing out questions.

........Dave
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming as you think of them.

A better search function for old topics is supposed to be included in the much anticipated upgrade for the software that we use on Shop Talk.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Even if the newbies ask the question 'again' - we can still just post a link to the Topic.

Once they are in the right place, maybe they will read ALL the info there. That would stop a lot of further 'standard' questions from that member.

Later . . .

Jim

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll base my comments more on questions I get from beginners visiting my place than on what I have seen here on shoptalk.

The most common questions relate to what to collect and why.That's a tough one because "collect what you like"never ends the discussion.Cost?Investment potential?Display layout?Those subjects and many more come up all the time.

I don't know how to pull up old threads,but JJ's post on advice to beginners comes to mind and a couple of older posts about where we think prices will be in 10 years might be of interest.

Perhaps those question are best handled in face-to-face discussions,but maybe we could just say that and give them something to think about.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What will my _____ be worth Restored?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"How much is this worth?"

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I think this is great idea. When I first found site, I spent weeks looking in back post,mostly in general dis.,and learned alot. Still I was excited,and stupid as to how to search old topics for answers.Pump questions,color ,ID,how to questions,seem to be the biggey. I know I contacted Jim at T Way and wanted to make decalls,before I had Globe in hand. He was polite and of course suggested we wait. And he probably has to do this a lot.

My only fear is you old hands will get bored without the overly excited newbie questions, but it sounds like your tired of repeating yourself.

A general list of Oldgas members,that have websites with parts,services they speclize in,etc, but get ready for the excited newbie list of general question that you field here.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As someone for whom this is my first (and only) forum experience, please forgive any newbies for stumbling along in the beginnning even when you do have a FAQ section that may have the answers to what they are asking.

I try now more to do the searches than ask dumb questions (tho don't worry, I am sure there are plenty of dumb questions still in me!) but a new person can get overwhelmed and excited by what they find that enthusiasm makes them want to ask that first Q right away.

If the repetitions are a problem, perhaps there can be a gatekeeping function that can put the new member in that FAQ forum as soon as they first register their info? With instructions on looking up their Q, adding photographic attachements, posting their first post at the new member section? Perhaps even modifying the FAQ you already have? Just a thought....

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Maybe this is worth adding.... For FAQs about ECO air meters there is an online manual that anyone can download here:

http://www.opwglobal.com/Libraries/Broch...anual.sflb.ashx

Last edited by barn_raider; Tue Mar 22 2011 10:39 AM.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
As a newbie I've put my two cents in on Paint color codes, How do I clean or get my Veeder Root working and last, but not least, what is the best way to take paint off my pump with out spending a fortune.

For the record I have seen the light and converted from do it yourself paint striper and wire wheel to media blasting. After having something blasted ain't no way I'm spending that amount of time again taking paint off. Oops sorry forgot this isn't part of the topic.

Another thought is to make searching for topics a little easier to sort.

Last edited by DasFast1; Tue Mar 22 2011 03:08 PM.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved