Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are always 2 sides of a coin. Sellers are getting hammered now, mostly because of ***** that some of them have pulled in the past. For years, it was the buyer who got hosed, at lot of the time. I had 3 sellers take my money for items and walk away from Ebay, without sending the items I paid for. 2 of them, opened up new accounts and started selling all over again. There was no protection for buyers in cases like that. I would file a dispute and all 3 times was told, "sorry they are no longer an Ebay seller". So I was out my money. Ebay finally kicked the other 2 off, but how many other people like me lost their money? Now the money is held "in trust" until the transaction is completed and the buyer is satisfied. Not a perfect situation, but from the buyers stand point a lot better than it was.

Yes, there will always be a percentage of buyers who are out to "rip off" a seller. As there are a percentage of sellers who are out for the same thing.

Because of a few, now shipping is included in the sellers fees. The reason is because more and more .99 items carried triple figure shipping fees, these sellers had/have no qualms in trying to cheat Ebay out of their fees. So now all sellers suffer.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used to sell 10 items a month...... Now I sell 10 items a year, maybe! God bless the swap meets!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a suggestion for everyone that has worked for me. I opened a new bank account just for Paypal, as soon as I get paid I transfer the money to my account. Usually takes 3 days to clear and then I withdraw it right away and keep my account at around $20. That way they can't take anything out. Of course this only works if you're a small time seller like me. I only run a few items at a time and pull all the money out asap.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Neil what happens if an item gets lost or damaged and you have to give the buyer their money back?

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
You can pull your money out of that account all day long, but if they want the money back they will get it. You should have listed a back-up source when you signed up for pay pal. If it is a credit card, you will be out even more money when it is all said and done. Most people use a bank account, however Ebay will get the money whenever they want it without notice. I charge a flat rate on all items. No matter if it goes 25 miles or 250 miles through the mail. I use flat rate boxes generally, so the price would be the same reguardless. ALWAYS charge extra for insurance. When you buy insurance, it comes with a tracking number, whether through UPS or USPS. I charge extra, 1 or 2 dollars, on every package. Do I feel that I am over charging, no. My time and gas to ship these items is worth more than that. Some items I have to drive 35 miles each way to ship. On cheaper items, people tend to bid with shipping in mind. So, if the item they want is worth $100 to them and shipping is $15.00, they will bid $85.00.

Bottom line...CHARGE ENOUGH TO PROTECT YOU.

Last edited by chadrock00; Wed Mar 30 2011 05:49 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Neil what happens if an item gets lost or damaged and you have to give the buyer their money back?

What do you mean what happens???? I give them their money back. Do you think I'd keep it? I don't get your question I guess, unless you're implying that I would steal it, weird. I'm talking about unscrupulous buyers not lost or damaged items.
As to the credit card back up, that's true but it gives you another avenue to dispute their actions. Believe me, I'm no friend of Paypal but they did save me almost$700 when a seller tried to screw me.

Last edited by Neil Gerrard; Wed Mar 30 2011 06:56 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was wondering the same thing. Not necessarily about you, Neil, but if some unscrupulous seller did this and refused to give the money back. I assume it would then be charged to the credit card on file?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No, if you pull the money from your account then do you have ebay use your backup account to repay? Maybe you haven't run into the situation where a refund has been given?

I like you,set up a separate account for paypal, but I don't remove the money, I use it for my ebay buys. Just wondered what you do since you said you remove the money right away.

I received a notification, that ebay is extending the time one can "go back" against the seller of certain items. I've never sold concert tickets or theater tickets, but one never knows.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paypal refunds the seller first, THEN they go for your money. If your account is empty, the buyer still gets his money from paypal, (part of their guarantee) then paypal will wait it out till they can collect from you.

I Love Ebay, It has been ridiculously generous to me thru the years. I don't mind paying their fees at all when I can sell a $60. item for $240. The ONLY outlet where that is possible.

I love Paypal, It has made buying and selling SO MUCH EASIER, I don't mind them taking their cut as without them I most likely would not get 1/2 the amount of bidders that pay within hours.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have always had a separate bank account for my pay pal and keep a small balance unless I need to add for purchase.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry about that, what I meant was that I try to limit my liability from thieves. I know if someone really wants to rip you off they probably can but there are ways to help prevent it. Luckily I have always been on the other end of it. I got my money back from Paypal twice and have lost a total of $500 on Ebay back when I paid with a MO. If you go to paypalsucks.com you can read some real horror stories. I'm so careful now to do everything by the book when I sell so I guess their strategy is working.

W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
NOW !the rest of my "Story" is that the item that I sold and the item that got lost ( at least so far ) was for a friend of mine who never sells on Ebay...so he is the one that is really out the money,,, it wasn't very easy asking him to pay me the $800.00 for the item I sold for him . Luckily we are best of friends. Thanks for all the info guys ( and Tara ), :):)..
I still think Ebay and Paypal are good tools for buying and selling... I've been on Ebay since 1999 and this is the first transaction that went sour... so we drive on!! We are all a little wiser because of situations like these..

Last edited by Wes Hague; Thu Mar 31 2011 04:21 AM.

Wes.......
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
I have had some guys asking about the collectable Insurance the company is Collectibles Insurance Services 410-876-8833 or 888-837-9537 info@collectinsure.com
remember to check with your insurance company because most household policies do not cover antiques or collectibles. also inquire with this company as they will cover shipping up to a certain amount as long as you have an invoice and tracking # which paid for half of my policy in one yr.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved