Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#247781 Fri Apr 15 2011 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looking at Joe's (Petroholic) shoebox Neptune 855 that he sold at a great deal, I was wondering how many of these 855's were around. This is the only one I have seen with what always called the belt buckle latch on the tall pump.
This is in original condition, except I removed the cover over the globe holder, and installed the globe, signs (with magnets so no holes had to be drilled and new computer faces. All I did was clean it and wax it. Oh, I painted the base.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Old Racer #247789 Fri Apr 15 2011 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not many tall ones with the buckle in my opinion...

Scott Wright
powerlube #247797 Fri Apr 15 2011 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was looking at buying this one, its in great condition, but
it does not have the buckel that yours does

The base looks a little different also.
Did they use two different bases?

I will have to look and see if there are holes where the buckle would have mounted.

neptune 2.jpg

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
LC 336 #247802 Fri Apr 15 2011 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think you'll find any hole LC, yours has a side door.
In over 25yrs I have only had 1 6' w/ belt buckle. Can't keep everything ya find.

Old Racer #247819 Fri Apr 15 2011 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good looking pump..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have another tall one but it does not have the belt buckle,all the shortys that I've had always had the buckle.Those Neptunes are nice looking pumps.
Joe

Petroholic #247835 Fri Apr 15 2011 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does the buckle actually activate the door mechanism on the 6" pump? I would have bet that someone put the buckle on for "looks". May have been the last of the six foot model just before introducing the five foot models with the site glass in the buckle. Brady

1PetroFan #247841 Fri Apr 15 2011 11:42 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
One of my favorite pumps.

TUCKER48 #247846 Fri Apr 15 2011 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tucker48, your Neptune in the Richfield wrapper is gorgeous!!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I second that. Your Richfield pump is super sharp. Really like the Indian at the start of this topic too.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The buckle was the latch that opened the door.

Something looks wrong to me, the very small hole in the buckle was for the very small sight glass on the L-1, so which came first, the chicken or the egg? Why would they have a buckle on a 1939 pump that has a hole in it for a sight glass on a 1947 pump?

And what about the four pumps I show that were made by Neptune between these two models? Why don't they have the buckle?

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Apr 15 2011 05:30 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #247943 Fri Apr 15 2011 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are more questions than answers on lots of pump mfgs.
The 6' I had had a round cover plate over the center hole [site glass on L1], but buckle was the latch for door & w/o the side access door. Top was recessed for globe & screws to hold globe under top cap, w/ a small drain line leading to bottom of pump.

Jack Sim #247965 Sat Apr 16 2011 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
The buckle was the latch that opened the door.
Something looks wrong to me, the very small hole in the buckle was for the very small sight glass on the L-1, so which came first, the chicken or the egg? Why would they have a buckle on a 1939 pump that has a hole in it for a sight glass on a 1947 pump?
And what about the four pumps I show that were made by Neptune between these two models? Why don't they have the buckle?
Jack Sim

Well Jack I agree something is wrong. You have a great book and we are damn lucky to have it as part of our hobby. Nothing out there comes even close to what you have assembled and accomplished. NOT EVEN CLOSE. However it is not perfect. Even with your thousands of hours of research and thousands of pages of information, you can't cover every variable in this hobby.

So here is the story.
As I got it:

This pump spent it's life inside a Municipal Highway Department Garage. It was literally in a closet. It pumped diesel it's whole life I am told. When they needed to fill a truck, they pulled it up to the door, opened the door, pulled out the nozzle, pumped the fuel and when done closed the door. So I guess that is why the condition stayed so good. Also they stopped using it back in the 80's when they had to pull the tank. I guess it was out of the way, so they just left it in the closet.

It must have been some sort of commercial style pump that was built for a specific purpose. But it was NOT one of a kind. Why do I say that?
1. The computer faces did not have holes for the price wheels. I put on new faces to expose those.
2. The sight glass manifold was in the normal location, but used the small glass like the short pump.
3. The sight glass was formed to fit the sight glass and was highly polished stainless.
4. Like Dick said it had a factory designed cover plate over the recessed globe hole.
5. It also had a cover plate specifically designed to cover the hole in the belt buckle that is used for the sight glass on the short pump.
6. I replaced the cover plate on the belt buckle and put on a backing plate to expose the "steps in the recess in the belt buckle because I thought it looked better exposed.
7. As LC 336 pointed out, these also have a different base. It is cast iron. So it had to be made for the pump.
8. Also as DB pointed out, there is no side door. The belt buckle has the lock like the short pump.
I have to say Dick you sure have an eye for the details! Great observation.
9. Yes the belt buckle actually latches and locks the door shut.
10. The ORIGINAL factory ID Plate is stamped "H 1SA". SA could mean "special application"?

It sounds like the one that DB had was the exact same pump. So they must have been sold all over the country. Not just around here.
So bottom line. It doesn't seem like a one of a kind pump that someone cobbled together. It's just a pump that was not high volume and therefore fell through the cracks on literature.

Like I said Jack, no offense. No one expects your book to be the last word.
I personally thank you for publishing it and for the countless time spent to assemble it.
It's pretty damn close to perfect. Nice job.
John

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Old Racer #247974 Sat Apr 16 2011 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are other things the "SA" can stand for, but this sight will change it to S*** A**!
ANOTHER Modified/Custom Pump! laugh
Even the guy that got nailed to a cross wasn't liked/perfect to All! Just proves you CAN'T Please everyone ALL the time.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've had one Red Seal 855 and have one currently and neither had the Belt buckle.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved