Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#250880 Tue Apr 26 2011 08:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
okay i have a pump in primer, and i really want to rust it, and then paint a cracked finish over that. can you do this and make it look natural? and i also dont want to really ruin the metal because it is pretty smooth right now. i;m assuming i could leave it outside for a short amount of time after sanding it and not get pitting? i know the american garage has a smithway or neptune pump that looks exactly how i want mine to look but yellow rather than blue. any tips would be appreciated

Kyle DeKoning

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Lost Highway #250882 Tue Apr 26 2011 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think that you want to actually cause the metal to rust. Not quite sure that it would happen over primer anyway, unless you left it out quite a while. You should try painting it a color of rust. (Like the red primer) Paint on your "crackle coating" and then paint the yellow color you want. You should be pretty happy with the results.
Show photos of your process.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, Post a pic of the one you did in Torrance, Ca.

Dick Bennett #250945 Wed Apr 27 2011 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think its something real simple, like mixing Elmers Glue with oil based paint, then brushing it on. If you go the red primer route, you should be fine.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #250952 Wed Apr 27 2011 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not my area of expertise, but in the decorative arts, they do sell a finish for funiture that causes a crackle. Also, depending on the paint, you can add stuff, like fine sand, to give your piece a rough feel. Find a site or forum that specilizes in 'antiquing' funiture or Faux finish for walls/funiture.

If you find a product, check the label for the type of paint. For example, you can put oil based paint over acrylic, but not acrylic paint (which is what latex is) over oil based paint, or that layer would eventually sloth off. Check with the product manufaturer about compatability. Don't talk with a sales person, ask to speak to their technical people/department.

In my case it was to paint a carousel animal that was primed with house primer. Instead of using house paint latex as the group was asking the other artists to use, I wanted to use my artists acrylics (better quality paint and I was familiar with the hues for mixing exactly the colors I wanted) and needed to make sure I could use my product from a different co over theirs. It never hurts to double check, instead of facing removal and repainting.

The tech folks I have talked to in the past have been both scientists and artists who have used the product. If it's a big company, they might give you leads on what other things are out there that may work. I would also check on durability and if the product can be outside, and if not, what you need to do to protect the surface.

Take pictures on your project and post your results. Let us know what you used to get there...: )

Nicole

Last edited by Nicole; Wed Apr 27 2011 07:11 AM.
Nicole #250957 Wed Apr 27 2011 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LH:

Not a hard project to do. As mentioned, 'crackle finish' is readily avaialble - it's the 'rust' that will take some time.

Get yourself a quart of 'red oxide' primer that is compatible with what ever top coat you are planning on using. Then using some cheap 1" paintbrushes, daub the unreduced primer on the areas where you want to simulate 'rust'. Let it dry and repeat as many times as necessary to build up some thickness.

Shoot your crackled topcoat and let it dry/cure. Now sand through the topcoat to expose the 'rust' bumps/smears/patina you created earlier. Re-topcoat with a flattened clear and you're all set to assemble and display.

If you want to add a bit more realism - use some 'Gel-stain' to add rust runs down the pump where the exposed 'rust' would have stained the paint over time.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #250999 Wed Apr 27 2011 01:12 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
RUST-OLEUM is the maker/ RUSH STRIPPER is the product. If you don't prime and paint within 24hrs. OR for naturally metal finish, rub oil back in to metal. Surface rust will begin over night. This seems to remove something in the metals and leaves it exposed, and would make your rust wishes speedey.

Yes Rust Stipper to promote rust! Trust me it works.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #251015 Wed Apr 27 2011 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Spray bare metal w/ WEASEL PEE Motor Oil, guaranteed to Rust Before morning!

Dick Bennett #251017 Wed Apr 27 2011 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Aw Dick that's your answer for everything...LOL

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #251028 Wed Apr 27 2011 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
he only wants surface rust,not a swiss cheese pump!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #251095 Wed Apr 27 2011 07:54 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was kind of wondering what would happen if you took and rusted the pump to what ever degree you want then brushed on a very thin stain till you get the color effect you are looking for.
Would it work?

hillsideshortleg #251101 Wed Apr 27 2011 08:09 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
i have 2 extra horrible condition doors for the pump and i think im gonna do one real rust and the other with the red primer, and see which one looks how i want it. i gotta admit i think im partial to real rust because the red oxide primer at lowes doesnt look too orange. does anyone have photos of a pump theyve done in a similar way?

Kyle DeKoning

oldnfuelish #251105 Wed Apr 27 2011 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a couple pictures of the pump DB is talking about.
Don

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved