Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#257253 Thu Jun 02 2011 07:30 PM
Ford V8 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I bought six glass oil bottles with oil carrying case. The case looks rather unique as I've seen them made of round steel wire, but not the flat type shown here riveted together as shown in my picture. The bottles also have threaded necks so the caps screw on instead of being pushed on. They don't have any brands on them, but have embossed "Imperial Quart" followed by a vertical arrow. Any insight from the experts would be great on its authenticty and vintage. Thanks.

Collector of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury automobilia. Preserving North America's Ford history. Visit www.thefordcollector.com for more info.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, we all know that Imperial quart means a canadian measurement but the bottle shape is unique so someone should be able to identify it for you!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steve:

I've seen baskets make out of steel wire, flat plate and sheet metal.

The thing you have to be careful of is the overall height of the handle. If the handle DOES NOT extend above the height of the bottle with the spouts on them - then it was made to be used with Milk Bottles - not Oil Bottles with Spouts.

I don't think I have seen your bottle type stored in a rack. The later ones (like yours) with the actual 'caps' ususlly sat in a holder that lookes like a pop bottle case.

That's not to say that your holder and bottles don't go together - just that I have not seen a set like yours.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
....what do the caps have embossed on them?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Ford V8 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
One cap says Mobil Oil and the other says Marvelube. I only have two caps. The rack handle is about even with the top of the bottles. Any idea on overall value the six bottles, two with caps, and the rack?

Collector of Ford, Lincoln and Mercury automobilia. Preserving North America's Ford history. Visit www.thefordcollector.com for more info.
Ford V8 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Folks...found an oil rack online almost identical to mine. Handle slightly different, but otherwise bang on including the measurements...RACK IS 13" X 9" AND 12" IN HEIGHT
Check it out at: http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/store/V...0788142655.html

Ford V8 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
SOLD!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Neat bottles and carrier.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Thu Jan 26 2012 11:06 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These bottles are from Imperial Oil who used them from the 1930s up to the 1960s to sell their bulk oil products Marvelube and Mobiloil. There was at least one other Canadian company who also used these bottle and their own bakelite caps to market oil. As well some later bottles just had metal caps. The rule is usually wire baskets for oil and flat metal for milk, but not always. Bottles with caps $50 to $80 Cdn., may be more in some areas. Nice find.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most of us didnt know they were for sale, thought you were looking for info not a buyer.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved