Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
vmc44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
V
This is sad that this ***** is even getting a bid.... ebay # 280691299140 1930's REPRODUCTION DOUBLE CLOCK FACE GAS PUMP

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I am totally with you on this. Some good person may buy this and do it and someone may pass this on in years to come as an original. Matt is a good guy that I have purchased from, but this is just the thing that may go wrong. One showed up in Portland this spring, and I was told it was an original. Spent four hours looking for the booth and never found it.
Everyone told me that it was real until the owner found me the next day and told me he had a repro to sell. He was honest about it, but others just didn't know and that is how things get started.
Nice job, and hope that it goes to an honest person who will be honest with the next owner.
Just my thoughts.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
wow 1900.00...I better make me one of them and put it on the bay quick wink

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The castings are aluminum not orginal style cast iron (big weight difference) not to mention there are no moving or functional parts internally, piping, pumps and clock mechs etc. The center mounting hole on the base was deleted to not only to clean things up but to allow a "visiual" give away as was the center line on the mid-section between the 2 heads. Base to mid assy uses 4 3/4 inch pipes not 6 like the originals. It is not my intention to deceive anyone with the manufacture of this pump, I am just offering a replica of something that would otherwise not be easily acquired by some in the hobby/business just as the aftermarket suppliers offer in their catalogs (somehting for everyone). I would also hope that if a collector/buyer sets out to buy an item for any kind of serious money that they would do their homework first, that goes for pumps,signs,globes etc. I am positive this reply will not satisfy everyone but we all know what they say about opinions !

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
very well put Matt. good luck with it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Matt is UP front about this pump, something that Glenn Thompson Wasn't w/ his Twin/Single Wayne 800's, Dayton 900's & other pumps & stuff that he Replicated. Glenn Begged me to barrow a Bowser 300 to split the head for recasting.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said DB, its pretty tough to mistake this pump for original, I wouldn't want one but there is no harm in what it is. That's why I like barn fresh, theres no mistaking pumps with guts and old paint!

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've got Something for you Lance,
It's Old,
Has Guts,
Shows Patina,
Just NOT Barn Fresh,
Younger than You!
BUT, I don't think I can convince HER to Move to BC! laugh laugh laugh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I hope she doesn't visit this site. You'll never hear the end of it Dick !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL
Bet you miss yours too, Scott!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it's great the listing on ebay clearly states it's a repop.

However, if the item itself is not clearly marked it's no different than a sign or globe that isn't marked.

Lacie the sign maker on ebay is no different..his ads tell you the signs aren't real, years up the road though unsuspecting buyers are going to get ripped off just the same.

Responsility always falls on the buyer to do his homework, but I will never understand people not clearly marking their repops.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

However, if the item itself is not clearly marked it's no different than a sign or globe that isn't marked.

Lacie the sign maker on ebay is no different..his ads tell you the signs aren't real, years up the road though unsuspecting buyers are going to get ripped off just the same.

Responsility always falls on the buyer to do his homework, but I will never understand people not clearly marking their repops.
I'd be more than willing to mark this as a reproduction, how would you/anyone suggest I do it ?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is NO good permanent way w/o destroying the looks of a finished pump.
When bases/castings are Repoped w/ alum. instead of Iron like originally done, to me that is a CLEAR indication that it is a Repo. NO NEED to mark it any other way.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mattthegasman
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil

I'd be more than willing to mark this as a reproduction, how would you/anyone suggest I do it ?

Why not just stamp the year of manufacture somewhere on a base casting. Make it small enough that it doesn't distract from the pump. Sounds like you are an honest manufacturer that wants to help the hobby.

It cracks me up that when convenient (depending on the item or who's doing it) people flip flop on this issue. If THEY can tell the difference it must be okay not to mark it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And you don't think a little filler/paint won't fill in the stamping?
Can't Please everyone All the time & SOME can never be Pleased.
Just a Flip FLOPPER

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved