Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
REAL Collectors collect REAL Vintage Items.
All the WANNABEES can have the fake stuff, Maybe someday Walmarts will even carry all that pretty fantasy Junk

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As far as I'm concerned there are NO RULES in collecting. You collect what you want and can afford even if it's a mix of real or repro. Not every pump, sign or can is affordable by some, so they resort to a cheaper form of display pieces. You may not take as much pride in it or will you see an amazing return on it in the future (unless you preach like treasureray and get lucky). It is what it is....It's a no Rules hobby...do what you want to do even if fellow collectors rank on you. It's not about them anyway. LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I don't like being a new collector and having to be careful of repops. On the other hand, it's the USA, land of the free. As long as the manufacturer is not infringing on a copyright, and as long as the seller is not false advertising, it's legal.

If someone is selling repops and says outright that they are repops, let em earn a living. Those who aren't collectors and are just looking for a few signs for their garage or mancave will be happy buyers of the advertised repops.

What really rubs me wrong are the sellers who use borderline-shady wording to draw people into believing something is vintage / original. Once the buyer figures out they paid way too much, the seller can argue and say I never actually said it was an original, just "looked vintage". If it's a repop, say it! It will still sell, and the buyer will know what they are getting, with less chance of negative feedback or recourse to the seller. Just my 2 cents.

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
When you would buy anything classic, like a car, its up to you to check it out. We wish all the sellers were upfront, but some are not. Its the American way to make a living, however you see fit.
Not all will see eye to eye, but its better than paying for wellfare ! smile
Just have fun !

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Craig Osbeck
Great attitude !! Would not like it if they were reproduced and if you had some originals you would not like it either. When asking about how many people are coming into the hobby and how many collectors are out there, its great to know that my likes and investments will not maybe be there in the future.
Lets just reproduce it all so that some of us can just move along to other things to collect.
Globes, lenses, porcelain, look to see what new collectors are saying and how they shy away because of not knowing. The pumps you mentioned are not exactly like the originals in some respects, this pump is.
To be more honest, I was asked to let this collector use my parts for the reproduction and I just didn't do it for the reason that I have stated so many times. I thought that he wanted JUST ONE for himself. Guess I was wrong. Let me say further that I like The person who has done this and had dealings with him and he has helped me alot.
I just believe that this was an error.
Craig, I did NOT ask you or anyone else to use their pieces to copy or recast from, I asked you for measurements only. I wanted to compare them to several incomplete repop units that I took in on trade a couple of years ago to see how accurate they were. I am not the first person to attempt to reproduce this model of pump, I have been in alot of collections and I am still amazed at what people have "made", there is even a guy who will recast in cast iron (just like the originals) for you if you have an original to cast off of but of course thats a whole different story for the flip floppers. Finally ,The first complete pump that was made by me and my patterns was just sold last week, any others out there did not come from my patterns. Matt

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved