Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
I have only missed two Iowa Gas swap meets, the first one in 1987 and the one in 1993 (because my building was under water during the great Mississipi flood).
I used to be a vendor, but now I just walk around saying hello to many, many old friends.
If you are not staying at the Holiday Inn, there is a motel across Army Post Rd, a Hampton Inn up Floura and a little further past the Hampton is a Motel 6, not bad rooms and a cheap price.
Parking is very tight on the Holiday Inn lot. Many guys get there early, grab a spot and never move their car until it is time to go home. Right off the end of the vending area on the south side is Airport Parking, very reasonable, and then just walk over to the meet.
DO NOT PART ON THE STREETS AROUND THE MOTEL, they know we are coming and the police put up no parking signs all over the place.
The Holiday Inn has a couple of good restaurents, one for sandwitches, snacks, even a bottle of beer, the other restaurent serves up some fine meals.
The motel across Army Post Rd., has a restaurent that is noted for it steaks.
Almost within walking distance is a Quisnos, and up next to the Motel 6 is a Perkins. Across from the Motel 6 is a great place for cheap food, the Hy-Vee super market. Good breakfast, and if we hit the right week, they usually have a all you can eat corn on the cob and watermellon night. The Holiday Inn will have a tent set up outside serving lunch, even a bottle of beer.
It will be warm starting Wednesday, in the mid 80s with possible showers, all the way to Sunday. Get up and get out hunting early before the shower and the humidity.
Vending is held on the lot, and inside in one of the banquet rooms. There is also vending around the indoor pool.
Many of the rooms are open for room-to-room on Wednesday night in case you are in the hotel.
After the room-to-room many of the guys head to the bar where they discuss all the things they found during the last year, where also you will probably run into me, I'll be bringing some of my gas pump & air meter id books (see the for sale section).
Look for the old man wearing the Korean Veteran cap.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Fri Jul 29 2011 06:54 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Jack.

Jamie Crosson
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jack,
Thank you for your service! I will look to meet up with you.

Robert

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Wish I could go. Did you get my email.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thank you, Jack. It'll be my first year there and it will be nice knowing where to get a bite to eat.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved