Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#265724 Sat Jul 30 2011 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It seems that I am continually corresponding with one Old Gasser or another and I learned something that had come about before I was ever a member here. I came on in late 97 and this had supposedly happened before that. After hearing about it, I thought it was such a good idea that I wanted to mention it here with the idea that any good that comes from us can be very far reaching.
Supposedly, there was an unofficial motto that was used on Old Gas and it was simply "HELP THE HOBBY". I thought this was a wonderful attitude to have and if each of us did something every week that helped the hobby, it could have those far reaching effects!
In my own relationship with my wife, I try to accomplish at least one act of unmotivated attention to some need that she may have! The results have been phenomenal! Each act of unselfish attention has rebounded with twice as many actions directed back at me! It has really had a snowball effect and has made a big difference in my relationship with her. I hope the anology is understood here in that if we each performed at least one "HELP THE HOBBY" task, each week, it could be enormus!
This hobby has been more beneficial than I can explain here but its made a pretty good impact on my life and I feel theres a responsibility that comes with it. I'm going to "HELP THE HOBBY" as much as I'm able and I hope the rest of you will join me in my effort!Thanks for readin my post----KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Online Cool
Thanks, Kevin.

Great idea to revive that practice. Helping the Hobby is most powerful when it is done without reaping personal or monetary gain in the process. That would sound crazy to some, but hopefully many of you will find a way to help out just one collector, once in a while. Then when you get help, "pay it forward" to help the next guy down the line.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #265728 Sat Jul 30 2011 06:47 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Sort of like me sending you that can!!! LOL. It would be a great idea!!! I have had some local members help me out on some projects and I always try to return the favor.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Oldgas #265729 Sat Jul 30 2011 06:57 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I've noticed the veterans of oldgas will go out of their way to help. Something that has rubbed off on me. I seldom get chance with limited know how and new to collecting. Pay it forward ,now that movie really got me,and my wife balls every time she sees it. But its a great pratice,and with no expectations attached is a good thing.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #265773 Sun Jul 31 2011 06:57 AM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I think we all have sent parts, literature, etc at no charge to each other. I like Kevin like to help the hobby too.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is what its all about. When you stop doing that then its not a hobby anymore.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good post Kevin.And Jim,your comment regarding "when it is done without reaping personal or monetary gain" speaks volumes about what I think it takes to help the hobby.

It has been my experience that when money becomes more important than the collecting the fun goes out of it for many of us.

Old Iron #265806 Sun Jul 31 2011 12:22 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Just to let others know. Kevin is certianly trying to live up to his motto as he has already helped this newbie getting started in the hobby. Giving thanks where its due, Kody

Flatland #265814 Sun Jul 31 2011 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin,you are a wise man!! To know it and to put it into practice is two different things!

hawkike #265876 Sun Jul 31 2011 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YES, I AGREE WITH ALL THAT'S BEEN SAID. I THINK ANYBODY WITH INVADER CANS SHOULD SEND THEM TO ME FOR FREE POSTAGE INCLUDED....THAT WOULD HELP MY HOBBY ALOT! wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
LOL Doc! I think you might have missed something there! (I know you're kidding!)

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
hawkike #265881 Sun Jul 31 2011 06:04 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Helping others and sharing what I knew was my motivation for getting "involved" with the people in the hobby many years ago. The relationships that I have built have made whatever effort put forth more than worthwhile. When we started PCM we stated that our mission was to support every honest effort within the hobby. Each month, and indeed everyday, I hope to continue that effort. Thanks for all the help thru the years from throughout the hobby.
Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Helping in this hobbie can involve money. If someone sold me a part I was looking for I would consider it help.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I agree Mat, Savinsam helped me out with sign hanger I needed. I put my need on wanted to buy and he spoke up. Know he could of used this somewhere , sometime, down the road. Was happy to pay what I thought was fair price. Paul Hittle also chimed in,said he had one. Thanks to both these guys, the flip side would of been,seen your looking for one so I throwed one up on ebay,happy bidding and good luck. I will remember this help, just a good example of what Kevins thread is all about. Thanks Guys.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved