Next Thread
Print Thread
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hello all, I am in the process of restoring a Wayne 80 gas pump. I was wondering how everyone cleans the gas spinners in the sight glass? Can you repaint them? I have tried to clean one of the spinners, It looks better than it did but I would like it to look new. What is a good way of going about this? Thanks.

gass 008.JPG gass 009.JPG gass 009.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
I have used carb cleaner before, be careful, some carb cleaners can mildly melt the plastic. I have also cleaned them with steel wool, you can take them apart into four pieces and paint them then put them back together.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
How do you go about removing the spinners and taking them apart? What do you use for a pin to reinstall the spinner back into the manifold? Thanks fot the info.

Tap the pin out with a small punch. The spinner just kinda fits together like legos.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
The best thing I've used is Era laundry detergent. I mixed 1 part era and approx 3 parts water in a cup and let it sit for an hour or two, use a tooth brush and you'll see a nice red & white spinner. I left one in overnight and all I had to do was rinse. Era is good stuff!

Later

Last edited by DasFast1; Fri Jul 29 2011 05:57 PM.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I am trying the Era method. I seems to be working great. Thanks.

T
tbert1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Picture of the spinner after soaking it in the Era/water mix. Worked pretty good and no work involved. I like it.

spinner 002.JPG
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
You know, the whole spinner comes out of the manifold. Once it is out, I simply bead blast it clean and clear coat it. Re- install before you screw on the siteglass retainer nut. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Paul are you talking about bead blasting the manifold or the spinner? Just curious.

Tbert looks good!

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Just the spinners. I take the whole spinner attachment, the yolk that holds the spinners, out of the maifold leaving the spinners held together with the rotation pin. When you blast them, it is easier to hold. Using glass bead doesn't damage the spinners. It cleans them beautifully and a can of Rustoleum glossy clear gets them looking like new.....after a couple of coats. To re-install the spinner assembly, simply put a small bit of solicone on the tappered back where it fits into the mainfold and push into place. Following immediately, with the siteglasses and retaining nut. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Mon Aug 01 2011 03:13 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved