Next Thread
Print Thread
#266389 Thu Aug 04 2011 07:21 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
About 14 years ago someone told me that the guy that owns Walker Radiators had found all the nos parts for a Sunoco Gas station and had it built at his compound in Tenn.Does anyone know if this true and if it is anyone have pictures?

Last edited by foxlincoln; Thu Aug 04 2011 07:22 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not true, Vernon Walker, who owns Walker radiators in Memphis where I live, bought a Texaco station that came from I believe St. Joseph, Missouri. He bought the station out of Hemmings motor news and it was in two 18-wheeler trailers. It was complete right down to the sink, toilet, and all the oil stock and lifts. The stock is part white-T circle logo, and part hexagon logo. The station is on his land and can be seen from I-40 outside Memphis in Arkansas at the Hughs exit. I have been there numerous times. The station is Texaco, not Sunoco. I don't have pictures but next time I go there I could get some for you. The reason the station was taken down after only about 2 years of service was that the interchage where it was located was being rerouted through where the station was located. The data Vernon told me was the station was put up in the early 1960's and taken down about 1963.

Last edited by roger cherry; Thu Aug 04 2011 07:55 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ive seen pictures of it. Very cool ! Definitely a dream for many of us. Heck, I'd love to have it as my house.

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
google it.

Walkstationrain.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW!!! Thats Cool!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
From the book " A Tour With Texaco"

A few years ago Vernon Walker from Tennessee was reading Check the Oil, a publication for collectors, when he noticed an ad for the sale of a NOS (in box) Texaco service station and trailer. It sounded interesting and Vernon didn't mind having a miniature service station (he didn't know what the trailer had to do with the service station), so he called to find out more.

The ad was placed in Check the Oil by a representative of the owner of the station. He found out that the owner was a Texaco distributor in Missouri. Vernon was given the name and address of the distributor; he gave him a call.

Vernon found out the reason the owner was offering a trailer with the service station,,, it was a REAL honest to goodness Texaco station that had been stored in a trailer. Out of curiosity, he decided to drive to Missouri and visit the distributor. To his surprise, every piece of the prefabricated station was there, along with the instructions for installation.

Vernon was a little nervous about telling his wife that he had just purchased a Texaco station... doesn't everyone have a full size, fully equipped service station in their backyard?

Vernon hired a contractor to assemble the station. Although the instructions accompanied the station, challenges did arise during the assembly. The builder of the station was contacted so that some light could be shed on exactly where a few pieces fit. The builder of the station located in New Orleans, had discarded the plans for that particular station; but, as luck would have it, a long time employee of the builder was able to assist. Photographs of the pieces in question were sent to New Orleans. From the photos the employee was able to assist Vernon with the erection of the station.

The only part of the station and its contents that is not original is the 1950 flip rack that Vernon had to install. You see, Vernon uses the rack in his service station to work on his other hobby... show cars. The original rack would not fit his cars.

Thank you Vernon, for preserving a piece of our past... a big piece of our past.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
LOL

I have photos here where those trees are about 10' high. : )))

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I sold Vern a couple neon signs several years ago and decided to make a road trip and deliver them personally. I was quite surprised to see his collection and Texaco Station. He gave us the grand tour and history, His indoor swmming pool surrounded by all sorts of pristine memorabilia was quite a highlite. Great guy. I have several pics but they are pre-digital days, just the old fashioned 4"x6".
His Porcelain Neon collection was at the time the largest.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved