Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Home from vacation smile Picked up the nevr dull, quick detailer and nuke bomb (laquer thinner) from the store...nuke is the last resort smile Worked on it for 1.5 hours and removed almost all the tar...now I see why you just pay a few grand for one you can stand to look at and keep rollin wink Will post some pics once I "dent" it so the pics look different than the first I posted!

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Wd-40 should take tar off......you try that

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks...I hit it with carb cleaner and got it off...tar is some MESSY STUFF!!! Good meeting you at Iowa smile

Website www.petrojoe.com
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
It was nice meeting you agin...I'll be at fall Dixie . Are you going? Ifso I catch you there again. I think paddy is standing us up would rather hang out with his bro-in-law....lol

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yes I will definitely be at Dixie...will likely bring Elliott (our oldest son at 7 smile Whats the deal Paddy? Had fun hanging out in the Spring...

On the Husky sign...well its being stubborn...I attempted Nevr Dull...the sign laughed at me...went the Quick Detailer route...I did make some headway with the razor blade (I need a pack of 500 smile I then hit the ole girl with some paint thinner...whats left of this dog is pure stubborness lol...I didnt completely submerge it but it didnt even budge the paint even with some heavier duty steel wool... Pic is after a few more hours of rubbin... (would post pic of other side however my camera program is giving me fits...) I am leaning towards PAINT STRIPPER...in small doses to the side that appears to be the worst...Figure I'll go light...then neutralize...and keep rollin... If you have any ideas bean me with em wink

316.JPG

Website www.petrojoe.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have used a Paint Stripper soaked rag to remove zinc chromate[sp] paint from 1qt oil cans, just kept wiping, never let it sit.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would try Easy Off oven cleaner also. small spots and don't let it sit too long

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Right on guys...thanks for the help smile I'll keep trying different methods and see if I can find one that will work thats slightly more aggressive than the other methods I've tried...It would be nice to start seeing some doggy under this old primer and paint!

Website www.petrojoe.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had a painted Coke sign that I used MEK on a rag to clean. Just have to work very slowly. It is pictured here in my garage. If the paint was originally baked on you should be ok just test in a small area first.

rsz_garage.jpg

Got Socony???

Tom
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Right on...I remember seeing your post a while back about the coke sign (very cool!)...what is MEK (is it a stripper?) I just picked up some Strypeeze from the hardware store...will be careful and take my time with it... I would guess the finish was baked on...

Last edited by grabber; Fri Aug 19 2011 10:21 AM. Reason: cant spell :)

Website www.petrojoe.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is a very potent chemical a paint stripper type item. Smells terrible but will peel the paint off about anything. Can buy it a lowes or TSC.
It's proper name is methyl ethyl ketone or something like that.

Got Socony???

Tom
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Right on...I used a bit of the stripper today backed up by a razor...started to make just enough headway to feel like its "going somewhere". If this one doesnt work I'll snag some MEK! Thanks again for the advice and help guys!

Website www.petrojoe.com
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ok...starting to see some dog and color...which is GOOD! Have a long way to go but here she is right now...I did figure out one thing...whatever kind of paint they used should be used on all homes, cars, tanks, jets, etc...its dern near indesctructable...

What started to work...PAINT STRIPPER...yup...and if you put the stripper on...let it sit for a few minutes then hit it with a water hose...the near indestructable paint starts letting go...I guess its kind of a "flash strip" method...then water down and repeat...will still take a long time to do but worth it... Also...if you attempt to "help" the water by using a finger nail...its a no no...as you can remove original paint by rubbing, picking at etc...Apply stripper...gingerly wipe on...let sit for a min or 1.5 min...wash n repeat...

huskyaworkin (640x566).jpg

Website www.petrojoe.com
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
$1000.00 in chemicals yet ? LMAO

Sorry

grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
blacktee...right now I'm just under 900 so I have a ways to go before I'm over a grand lol...actually around 12 bucks for stripper...11 for quick detailer...5 for nevrdull...a few packs of razors (say 5 bucks)...and 7 bucks for thinnger...grand total of 40 bucks give or take a few bucks...I started with what I thought would be the roughest side...the original white and gray will be a nightmare to keep around...this sign has around 6 colors...(I believe...tough to tell with different stades of the doggy)....

Website www.petrojoe.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved