Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm looking into aquiring this property in southern california and restoring it into a retro gas station/corner store museum (maybe gas only). the plan is to make it look like an old gas station and the side to the left will look like a service bay inside and the side the right will look like an old corner store inside with restored, vintage and antique gas/coke/pepsi/etc items for sale. The rear of the property is a large lot with a 4 or 5 bay shop that i will restore vintage items and cars in. PLEASE GIVE ME ANY INPUT GOOD OR BAD AND THROW OUT ANY IDEAS YOU MIGHT HAVE. ALSO, WHAT BRAND SHOULD I GO WITH. LETS HEAR IT!!!

2011-09-06 16.10.27mod.JPG 2011-09-06 16.11.36mod.JPG 2011-09-06 16.11.49mod.JPG 2011-09-06 16.12.10.jpg
Last edited by boozer; Tue Sep 13 2011 12:56 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check to make sure the ground is clean before you buy it. Otherwise it looks good with alot of space.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would do it in what ever was the closes station back in the 30-40s to this building,Thay way if somebody close by has pics ect.they might help you out with stuff or even help.Good luck.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
just to make it clear, i do not think this was ever a gas station. it looks like it was a house with a shop in back and then converted to a business later. the properties on this street all look like they were houses at one point then converted to business.

My names Burry and I did the same thing. Look at my restored texaco in showcase and stories. It is about the 7th article down. Took me 7 years give or take, some township problems, environmental inspections, I too was never a gas station, but try to go for a mortgage with pumps outside! It was built with alot of love and some money. In return I get alot of happiness, and a small loss in Capitol each month. I would recommend going with a brand that is common. If it is going to sit outside by the street, sometimes reproduction is better. I am in nj and if I can help in any way let me know, Burry. Good luck, and don't give up.

PAY IT FORWARD......
I've always wanted to do this!!! I'd recommend having ample parking and contact some car clubs they love having events at these places!!!! Plus they love buying auto and garage related items. Would you be able to use restored pumps? (legally)? I've always wondered that. I'd go standard, red crown , zerolene, for the theme. Those are correct for the area and time period . Good luck!! I hope to see the finished product!! Very envious !!!!

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Do your homework before you buy make it clear your intentions for this propety. What was ok in the past may not be ok now, because of enviromental codes tighting. Say they changed oil for years out back ,if it is leeched in to ground, you as new owner could be made to clean it up.
I bought lot next to me. Because It sat as empty lot since 1973,and it backs up to lake I had a heck of a time getting it to perk for septic,because the rules close to water had changed. They Grandfathered it in for 3 bedroom -not 4 . In 1973 it perked no promblem,and was a building lot. Hey company is your choice. Texaco draws them in here.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I would make sure the ground is clear. If you are not paying cash the bank may make you do a phase 1 ,2, or 3 test to make sure the ground is not contaminated. With that type pole-looks like it was a station. If you are getting a morgage the bank will do some research and see what types of business were there. Good Luck with your project. I wanted to buy a local small station from th 20's- after doing some research on the property I decided not to buy it. It was contaminated and was concerned about future re-sale of the property and building.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Tue Sep 13 2011 06:03 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I really want to thank everyone for the input so far. Most of what has been said i already thought of or plan to do, but you guys did bring some things to light. Thank again

B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
i'm so bummed out right now. spent the day dealing with the county about the property and the bottom line is this, if i buy or lease the property it will cost me or anyone that ever does anything with this property at least 40k for a plot plan (another way of saying use permits) to operate any business at this location. it has been sitting so long that the land use permits have expired. good way to keep an ugly run down property looking ugly, run down and abandond. guess my dream is out the window.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's too bad. I was looking forward to see you make progress and bring back a little culture and history to the community. You would think your local government would want to help a small independent business hard working guy like your self. But I guess it' more important to bring big money in to it.Maybe if you can find the right people to talk to Don't give up so easy.
Call some of the local officials , try explain what your willing to do.( Just trying to be on the positive )

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Ditto ,don't give up the ship just yet. Here a site plan is a must for new construction commerical property. But a site this small.should not cost that. In your case it would include existing building, rain water drainage study, parking and on and on.
Now talking to the right people. There is people here that do this ,and go before planing and approval boards on regular basis. They know short cuts , and seem to get the green light that others have trouble with.
Now that you have tortured you self up town ,ask around and find the guy I'm describing.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Wed Sep 14 2011 09:16 PM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
First response from government is NO!!! You cant do that!!! Then you keep on them and find the right combination to open the lock and I think you will get it. Dont give up if you want it. Become a pain it their neck to the point they offer to help you move in. Just dont say S*^%, P$%%, F$&^ or a few other words that may be considered a threat. Let them make your day. Get the word out you want to do something good but they dont want extra business in your town. Im not a fan of big government BUT on the flip side I really believe in paying taxes.

B
boozer Offline OP
OP Offline
B
SINCE THE DAY I FIRST FOUND THIS SITE I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT SUPPORT AND GREAT RESPONSES AND HELP FROM EVERYONE ON THE SITE. YOU GUYS HELP WITH ANSWERS AND QUESTION, POINT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND GIVE TRUE AND HONEST RESPONSES. I THINK ALL YOU GENTLEMAN ARE A GREAT GROUP OF ENTHUSIAST AND I FEEL LIKE I KNOW SOME OF YOU PERSONALLY. WITH YOUR RESENT COMMENTS I NOW FEEL LIKE I WILL PURSUE THIS DREAM AFTER ALL. THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGING WORKS AND SUPPORT.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
A site plan survey/ site plan development person is what I was wanting to post last night but my brain was half on. With this being a exsisting structure, I don't think you are looking a the pay out you spoke about. Hire him and when they throw their curve ball request and questions, he will have quick answer for them.
You can tie this up with contract to buy, subject to getting their ok to do what you want to do, adding pressure on them to see it your way.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Thu Sep 15 2011 08:22 AM.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think the idea is super cool!!!!! If everything checks out Go For It!!!

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

http://www.chevytrucks.org/squatch-art
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved