Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Up for discussion. I am, by no means a "Pump Expert" per say, but lately i have bought, restored and currently restoring some Service Station Equipment pumps....no NOT Bennett's but SSE as per tag on the pump. In fact no where is the word Bennett mentioned on the pump. But they don't exist as SSE's in Jack's book and all repro parts at various vendors are also listed under Bennett and not SSE. Here is the tag off of a USA made SSE 76.

IMG_1168 (Medium).jpg

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Now here is a restored and unrestored Canadain version of a Service Station Equipment pump. It is a model 176 and also has no relation to a Bennett. The faces are porcelain and it has slightly more chrome accents to it. So why are these pumps catagorized as Bennetts cause (imo) they are NOT Bennetts but their own pump company that is not recognized as such.

IMG_0916 (Medium).jpg IMG_0851 (Large).JPG IMG_1906 (Medium) (2).jpg

petro, farm, auto, etc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Looks great, I like the canadian version better. I have found the same problem, and also with the Rheem-Bennett-Service Station Equiptment.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As Far as I know it is the same co. If you look for Bennet in the gas pump blue book it is under SSE not Bennett. I have a Bennett 76 ID tag and two SSE 76 ID tags.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Can you post pic's of your tags Matt...thx
what is the blue book???

petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The gas pump blue book list serial numbers and years, so you could look up how old you pump is.

I will take a picture of the Bennett 76 tag. The SSE tags are still on pumps and can not get a good picture because my pumps are too close together.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I believe SSE pumps are not in "The Book" because only U.S. pumps were included in it. SSE is the Canadian branch of the company?

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Mon Oct 03 2011 06:42 AM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
History of the SSEC.

Around 1928, the John Wood Company of Chicago purchased a number of companies, the:
Western Manuf. Co. (the makers of the ECO air meter)
Bennett Pump Co.
Shotwell Pump Co.
I believe ARO, the mfg. of shop equipment.
And a number of companies that had nothing to do with the service station business, such as water heaters.

Around 1930, Wood decided it had too many reps out there selling products from each of these companies, so it established the SSEC, and put all these companies under the SSEC name.

Bennett and Shotwell were combined, and Bennett who had never made a gas pump was now in the gas pump business. The first pumps were labled Bennett-Shotwell. These were just renamed pumps that Shotwell had developed and were selling under their name. About a year later the Shotwell name was dropped, and the pumps were just labled Bennett. This had nothing to do with Canada.

The depression hit and nobody was selling pumps.

Around 1932, Wood decided to close the Bennett plant in Muskegon, MI and move the pump production to the SSEC water heater plant in Conshohocken, PA. When they started making pumps there they dropped the Bennett name and just used the SSEC name. This is also true of the ECO air meters, my Air Meter book shows two version of the 15 and other meters, one with the ECO embossed on the cover, and others with SSEC embossed.

In 1937, when things started getting better and the country believed it would soon be going to war, the manufacturing of gas pumps and ECO was moved back to Muskegon and the Bennett name was now put on the pumps.

Note your tag, the addresses shown are the Conshohocken address and Chicago, the home office of the John Wood Company.

The John Wood company is still very much in business, I have a copy of the brown brochure shown on this page of their website: http://www.johnwood.com/history.aspx
Be sure to click on the 1920 at the top of the page to see pictures of the Bennett pumps.

All the above was written from memory.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
All I'm saying Jack is at the end of the day if you have 20,000 or 100,000 pumps out there, (just numbers as i don't know the exact figure) that have an SSE tag on them, they deserve some kind of recognition, even if only for the newby that spends a month looking for SSE parts cause thats whats on the tag....mm

petro, farm, auto, etc.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
minuteman,

If that newbe had done some research (like buying a book that identifies over 1900 gas pumps and gives a history of over 125 companies that made gas pumps) instead of just going out looking for parts, he might have found out that it was still the Bennett Pump Co. that made the pump, they were just in another location.

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gentlemen, I'm on this sight today because of a SSEC pump. I received a email from a person I had never met who said he had a pump he had never heard of before. He said people had told him it looked like a Bennett. He had been in the hobby years before but had got out of it. This was the only pump he had left. It had a SSEC tag on it and would I be interested in it. I went out and looked at it and bought it. It was only a couple of miles from my house. I had been a lurker on this site so I remembered there was a place on this site that told you the histories of pump companies. Thank you Jack. There it was SSEC and Bennett the whole shebang. I proceeded to buy Bennett parts to restore it until I found out about Ron Scobie. There again on this site. Thank you Ron. So that is why I'm hooked and on here every night. Thank you everybody. Here is the before and after shots of that pump. Mitch

pic.jpg PDR_0056.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was wrong about the Blue book. Bennett is under John Wood Co. Here are two of my 76 tags.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved