Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ebaygenious #278452 Sun Oct 09 2011 02:48 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: ebaygenious
J.E....I hate to disagree with you, but you are 100% wrong. I just sold (10 days ago) an item for over $2,000. The buyer opened a dispute, which of course froze my money in the paypal account. I immediately escalated it to a claim, to expedite things. Not only did they read every e-mail between the buyer and myself.....they ruled against the buyer, in favor of me...because I was right.
On a cheap item, it is almost a rubber stamp for the buyer, however once you get over $500, that goes to a special division and they actually look at the facts of a case. I've been involved in 4 of those as a seller and 3 of the 4 went my way. It's a whole different game over that $500 mark.

I'm glad that eBay actually ruled on the sellers side for once (and I mean that sincerely) and it's good to know about the $500 mark and over. With the issue I was talking about. A gentleman bought a radiator for a 28' Chevrolet from my Dad. My Dad insured the item (because the buyer had paid a few dollars extra in shipping). The buyer contacted my Dad 21 days after he received the item saying the radiator leaked (and he believed it was damaged in the mail). My father filed an insurance claim and the gentleman was paid via the post office. The very next day that the insurance claim was paid the buyer opened a dispute with eBay ("item arrived not as described"). My Dad replied to the disputes emails and said in his replies that the item was insured. EBay found in the buyer's favor and eBay was refunding him his money via PayPal (on top of the postal insurance money). That's when I was asked to step in. When I called eBay they didn't know the item had been insured (even though all of my Dad's replies to the dispute said that the item had been insured and that the post office had paid the claim to the buyer). It took over a week and a letter from our postmaster to clear this up.

Last edited by J.E.Radebaugh; Sun Oct 09 2011 04:05 AM.

KentuckyT #278461 Sun Oct 09 2011 06:24 AM
E
E
J.E..... That buyer was trying to obviously trying to commit fraud, and I think I maybe could have got him suspended or booted for good for trying to pull that one. Really, with the info you had, you couldn't have lost that one as long as you didn't give up. If the value was under that $500, you probably had to deal with some real idiots, but the higher up people are pretty sharp, and by now, they've seen about it all, like what happened to you......Good luck in the future. By the way...eBay calls it their "high value" team that settles the $500 and up claims.

ebaygenious #278501 Sun Oct 09 2011 10:37 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree, he was trying to commit fraud. In my opinion however, eBay was partially responsible as well because they failed to read ANY of the communications between the seller and the buyer before they made their decision. Ebay was to suppose to act as a fair and impartial third party, and they didn't (much like in the situation with POLESIGNKID).

As KZ1000 noted, eBay didn't charge anyone their fees, but because of their unfair treatment my Dad (who has an eBay rating of over 1000 as both a seller and buyer) has quit selling and buying from eBay. So really, eBay is the one losing money (which in turn means they will raise their rates to sell on eBay, because I know my Dad isn't the first person to quit eBay because of unfair treatment).

KentuckyT #278591 Sun Oct 09 2011 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Make sure your dad leaves "appropriate" feedback for this buyer. Since your dad is not going to sell anymore, who cares what type of feedback the buyer leaves him.....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #278624 Sun Oct 09 2011 07:59 PM
E
E
You can't leave any "appropriate" feedback for this buyer......if you say anything that is negative in their feedback, ebay calls them "negative positives", the buyer can get it removed in a heartbeat if they want. Also, sellers can (and do) get a 30 day suspension for doing just that...it's against ebay rules these days.

ebaygenious #278626 Sun Oct 09 2011 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yikes......

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved