Next Thread
Print Thread
#28134 Sat Dec 10 2005 07:59 AM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi everybody,

I am a gas pump beginner, currently restoring my first 2 pumps - two Tokheim 39 short pumps, which I have shipped over here to Europe.
One of the pumps used to be a Texaco Sky Chief, I still have the original porcelain signs, the other was painted red, but there was no oil company name or logo on it. What other companies used solid red (except for Texaco Fire Chief)?
I think I would like to restore the pump in a two color design, possibly using red as one of the colors - does anybody have ideas (and pictures) for that?
Is there anybody who has an idea where to find a repair manual for the Tokheim 39 short (if possible as a pdf-file as I am in Europe?) or an old door hinge?

Are there any other gas pump collectors here in Europe - if so, please drop me a line!

Thanks for your help,

SteveW

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#28135 Sat Dec 10 2005 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve,

Welcome to Oldgas.com! You've definitely found the best place for advise on restoring your pumps!

It sounds like you need to get the same book that I've been meaning to get. It shows all of the different color schemes and dates for the different companies. You can get a copy in the bookstore on Oldgas.com, which is what I'm going to do with some of my Christmas money

The first thing that came to mind when reading your question was, of course, a Fire Chief pump. Does your pump have holes from a porcelain Fire Chief sign? Also, does it have ad glass holes in the doors?

If you do it as a Fire Chief, you could have your own little Texaco island set up. Otherwise, there are a lot of other neat schemes. Mobil pumps were often red and white.

Best of luck,
Wes

#28136 Sat Dec 10 2005 08:36 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well Steve, Welcome to Oldgas, the best darn petro site on the web....

As far as your restorations go, you have plenty of options. Your first stop should be our book store here, that you can link to on our home page. Order a copy of "The Guide to Gas Pump Restoration". In that book. it will guide you through the basic steps in pump restoration, as well as hundreds of drawings of numerous gas pumps, in various colors. In that section it will tell you what colors, patterns, globes, and what signs and/or decals, to use, and what years that they were used. You just might find that a Blue Chevron Supreme pump is what you really want.

(One of my personal favorites)

I have found that most gas pumps were painted red at the factory. They were painted in "Station Colors" if they were ordered by a particular company. So go throught the restoration guide and find something that you like...

After that your second stop, should be to contact many of our good suppliers here, Vic's Place, Gas Pump Heaven, Ron Scobie, T-Way Graphics, Old Gas Pump.com, just to name a few.... There are many more. These good people can help with parts, graphics, books and other goodies. Ron Scobie, or Jack Sim, can probably get a manual for you. Both of them are active members here.

Then drop an e-mail to my friend Sebastion at: sebapp2@gmx.de He is a huge fan of the Tokheim 39, the two of you should get into plenty of trouble together. I'll let him know that I gave you his address, and please be sure to let him know that I did the same... He is also there in Germany.

Good luck, keep us posted, post lots of pics for us. If you need help with anything, you can send me an e-mail by clicking on the little icons next to my name on this post.

Welcome aboard...

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 12-10-2005).]

#28137 Sat Dec 10 2005 09:23 AM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi everybody,

thanks for the warm welcome to oldgas.com

@thermactor
I was thinking of getting the guide to pump restoration, I guess I will order it.
My pump does not have any holes from a porcelain Fire Chief sign, but it does have the ad glass hole (unfortunately without the glass).

@Thunder
Your blue Chevron pump is definitely very nice! Thanks also for the e-mail, I will get in touch with Sebastian!

Cheers, Steve

#28138 Sat Dec 10 2005 10:50 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Steve...go here and click on the Tokheim 39.
http://www.vicsplace.com/store.php?section=4

#28139 Sat Dec 10 2005 07:03 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Steve,
Assuming you have a copy of my Gas Pump Identification book you will see that there are basicaly three different short Tokheim 39 pumps. If you let me know which pump or pumps you have, I will let you know the cost of the Parts/Repair manual for them. These are the manuals that were in the box with the pump when it was delivered. I also have color sales literature for the pump if you are interested. If you don't have a copy of my Gas Pump ID book, you can purchase one right here on this website.
Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#28140 Sun Dec 11 2005 02:22 AM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jack,

unfortunately I don't have your book, but the follogwing model types were on the ID tags:
39 LRP (the one with ad glass below the door)and 39-LRA-R (no ad glass)

Steve

#28141 Sun Dec 11 2005 03:54 AM
H
H
Hallo Steve,

habe deinen Post eben im Forum gelesen.
Bin auch aus Deutschland und ein (begeisterter) Sammler.
Komme aus dem Raum hamburg, und du ?!
Du schreibst das du 2 Tokheim restaurierst. Wo hast du die denn her ?! Hier in Deutschland ist es ja sehr schwer/teuer an amerikanische Säulen ran zukommen.

Ich habe bis jetzt 4 Säulen restauriert und ´ne menge "kleinkram". Richte mir gerade auf meinem Dachboden ein kleines "museum" ein.

Vielleicht können wir ja mal teile/tips austauschen.

Bis dann ....
RALPH

ra.me@web.de

#28142 Sun Dec 11 2005 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Translation ANYONE ?

[I think there is something about 2 TOKHEIM restorations & a museum in there].
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 12-11-2005).]

#28143 Tue Dec 13 2005 11:51 AM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
A short translation of what hawk4711 wrote:

"I am also a collector from Germany, from the region of Hamburg.
Where did you get your 2 Tokheims? It is difficult/expensive to find American gas pumps here in Germany.
I have restored 4 pumps so far and I am planning on doing a small museum in my house. Maybe we can exchange parts/tips.
Ralph"

So much for the translation.
This is really a very helpful forum, already got to know a few other collectors from Europe.

I had some more pieces of my pump sandblasted today and planning on getting the paint job done before Christmas. I will post some pictures once I am done!

#28144 Wed Dec 14 2005 01:11 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Steve,
Assuming your two pumps have the same ID tag, this is what the 39L-RP stand for.
You have a short, Tokheim 39 made between 1949 and 1951. It came with or with the ad glass panels on the doors.
If you look close at the ID tag, after the Model number, there should be some numbers that are actually the date the pump was made. Basically your pump has rubber that holds the door glass in, door hinges and a hose on a cable, with or without ad glass panels.]
Jack Sim, Author, Gas Pump Identification book. (Which can be purchased here on this website)

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved