Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#282757 Wed Nov 02 2011 05:35 PM
B
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
B
I believe I have found Texaco's very first globe, before what collectors call the "TEXACO CHIMNEY TOP"

Most collectors know this globe to have a "wide body" & a cap on the top. Also this globe is etched.

Below are photos from the Commonwealth Avenue filling station, Boston, Mass. around August 1917. I believe this globe is etched also and it seems to be a narrow body and no cap....

The final two photos are taken by Dan Matthews of Erol Tuzcu's collection before he sold it...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks to Doc and my wife Mary Ann for helping with these scans.

A special Thanks to Erol Tuzcu for these priceless books !

Last edited by blacktee; Wed Nov 02 2011 05:49 PM. Reason: Thank Yous
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
blacktee #282766 Wed Nov 02 2011 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To Heck w/ the Globe, WHO made the pumps? Notice how tall they are compared to the 2 men in 1st photo standing next to a pump housing.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Dick,

Do you think it was a housing for a curb pump and at night they would lock the access doors?

Thanks for the great pics Doug and Doc super nice globe!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
That is what I was thinking also. Jack?

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heck with the pumps (LOL), love the shared collection display!

What are those pumps anyway? Custom wooden or metal columns with lamps built made just for that station designed to go over a smaller pump perhaps?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Taking into account what Dick brought up regarding the size of the pumps, these Texaco globes are in my opinion oversized in comparison to a normal 1pc etched globe.

The "fat body" chimney cap version of this globe is average in height standing 18" high (just measured ours sitting on the shelf, to the top lip of the chimney cap w/ cap removed). When viewed in the line up of other globes it does not stand out as being any taller than most other globes at casual glance.

Based on the height of the guys next to the pumps, the pumps must surely stand in excess of 10'. Taking this into account, the globes from my perspective would be taller than the normal 18" when looking at them propotionally with the pumps they're on. Compare the size of the globes on the pumps to the open spoke wheel on the lubester for another reference point that would point to them being taller than "normal".

As I studied the zoomed in photo of the globe initially I thought the globe was unusally skinny, but it may be that it is in reality close to the average width of a typical narrow bodied one piece globe, its just taller than all others giving it the look of being much narrower.

Texaco did have use an oversized leaded glass metal frame globe with 22" faces, so the company is known to have used oversized globes early on. I do not know for sure off hand, but I'd suspect the large leaded glass globes were used in the neighborhood of 1920 which isnt that many years removed from the 1917 date "Blacktee" attributes to these photos.

Aaron Hop

Last edited by olddutchgas; Wed Nov 02 2011 06:40 PM.

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Nicole #282781 Wed Nov 02 2011 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF someone Hadn't plastered TEXACO lettering on 2nd picture, might have been able to lighten picture to get more detail about meter!
Guessing pumps were either air or electric operated.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Aaron, I was going to suggest that very same thing about the larger appearance of these gems before I read your post. That is one awesome filling station. What do you suppose that iron contraption is? Some type of canopy? It looks like the pumps are really spread out and a long walk from the station doesn't it?

JimT #282788 Wed Nov 02 2011 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great photos Doug, thanks for sharing them (or should I thank MA?)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
New globe, new pump. Have never seen this pump.
First the date, I would guess about 1917-1921, based on the cars & trucks.
Second a question, why are there three hoses coming out of the pump?
Third, why isn't the price of the gasoline posted on the pump? This was a requirement in most locations.
Forth, is this possibly a commercial location where they were pumping gasoline for company owned trucks or cabs, etc.?

I gave up posting pictures here on old gas about a year a go, image shack messed with my computer too much. I'll send a pic of a similiar pump to DB and he can post is for me.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #282906 Thu Nov 03 2011 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
1st picture is 26667.75 inches wide! Anyone wanting to print [w/o resizing] better have a Truck Load of paper & a Tank Load of ink! LOL

Dissecting the 2nd pic, I count 4 hoses [2 coming out the side w/ the nozzle end placed back in w/ dial on EA side].
Back then the average height of men was close to 5ft 10in. By using Photo Shop that puts the globe holder at over 10ft. & by coping/paste 5 globes don't equal the height.
I think Most Oil Cart wheels are close to 30" & comparing the globes to wheels would make globes approx. 24".

pump2withwatermark.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was a big section of Commonwealth avenue that was called 'Motor Row' and had some of the biggest 'motor' dealers in the country. The government during WWI was trying to requesition (sp?) the buildings for wartime production. If you look close, there is a (something) MOTORS OF N.E. in the background. I also think it says General Vehicle Company further back. I am guessing it was close to the railroad for the cars, or partially assembled cars to get to these dealers.

Any vintage car folks know how those early 'motor' dealer compare to the modern autmotive dealers?

Perhaps all of the new cars from the dealers were gased up there day and night depending on when they got the new cars ready or transported them? When I say night, it get's dark early in Boston in winter and most folks worked more than 8 hours a day back then. Or maybe it was for the new owners to gas up?

What do you think?

I found the reference when I googled '1917 boston commonwealth avenue factory' There was an article in an October 24, 1918 article from Automotive Industries. Google excepted the article from -Automotive Industries, Vol. 39- I also found a seperate article on the same page where the factories are asking the dealers for their parts inventories so that they can finish cars 'for which various things like axels or springs may be shy.'

Google indicated this book might be available for sale. Looks like a cool reference to have for Automotive history. Tho I imagine many of you know about Automotive Industries already.

Last edited by Nicole; Thu Nov 03 2011 06:48 PM. Reason: added new owners filling up
Nicole #282968 Thu Nov 03 2011 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Back to the original globe Q, do you think they might have been custom made just for new car owners to see with that first fill up?

Jack Sim #282975 Thu Nov 03 2011 07:10 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hi, Gang. I know this is a new Texaco Globe posting (originally)...but for what it's worth, the building in the background of the photo houses the Walker Vehicle Co. (of NE). They were a maker of electric trucks and delivery vehicles, based in Chicago. This location at 592 Commonwealth Ave. in Boston housed Walker's NE U.S. branch. Notice the Willard and Exide battery signs on the building! Isn't the internet something??!! John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was thinking that the 2 buildings were separate 2-3 businesses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved