Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
First, the delivery of automobiles in the late teens and 1920s. Let's talk about Fords since they were selling 9 out of 10 cars being sold at the time.
Ford made parts for Model T Fords in Michigan. They assembled many cars there. Parts were also sent out to places like St. Louis, where they assembled T's (the building still stands here in St. Louis, Goodwill has been using it for over 30 years).
From locations like Detroit, St. Louis and probably many others, cars were not loaded on car carriers and taken down the highway to a dealership. They were placed on railway cars, partially assembled, and delivered to places where the final assembly took place.
Second, what was this station used for. Dealers did not sell you a car with a full tank in those days, h...they didn't even do that in 1958 when I purchased my first new car.
I still believe this was some kind of a commercial location, a place where gasoline was dispensed, and possibly it was necessary to dispense it rapidly. This may have been a location for the local bus company, where they wanted to dispense gas as fact as they could. Pumps this size, usually had very large motors and pumps, they were probably able to dispense at over three gallong per minute.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Nov 03 2011 10:51 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #283003 Fri Nov 04 2011 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, they sure look like BIG cabinets housing a small standard pump, the hoses appear to be coming out 3-4 feet from the ground. There was no hurry to fill or get anywhere fast in 1917.
I believe it is just a large advertising gimic to cover a couple small curb style pumps

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #283737 Mon Nov 07 2011 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Blacktee,

I contacted the Boston Historical society about that gas station and they didn't have any specific information about it easily available. They did send me a link to a recent BU article about 'Automobile Row.'

I posted it on showcase and stories...

Nicole #284696 Sat Nov 12 2011 04:38 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
So, thats it? No more ideas about the pumps or globe? I would have thought that this would have stirred up a lot of interest.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved