Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
It's a free web site and I shouldn't complain, however I have had three different members on Oldgas back out on items that the said they wanted in the last 30 days. Is there anything that can be done? Can we compile a list without defamation of someone? It is after all something that they DID do. I really have never had this problem, on here ecspecailly until the past year. I am really tired of holding things just to find out they have changed thier mind, or setting up free delivery on a 1500 mile trip just to not have phone calls or emails returned. I can not remenber a time I have ever backed out of a deal, unless the status/price had changed.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can relate to your frustration,I've had the same thing happen to me. Both times it was from members who had only been registered here a very short time.I don't know about going public with their names, but you definitely want to make a personal note to yourself of who they are so it doesn't happen again.

Member #163
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The couple other sites I belong to have the same problems, What most including me do now is, if you want it now, pay me now.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yep few times lately and sick of the dead beats on here I do keep a list and will not respond to them anymore with answers they have or even if they say they will take it it's just not gonna happen for them just look at my yale tire sign for sale ad

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Had one buyer tell me he was gonna take a sign then backed out...buyer said he would pay for over a week and stopped communicating. This is a forum not ebay but maybe a sales feedback option would help build trust. Buyers can back out on here because there is no contractual agreement....so the ball is in the buyers court.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes, I've had the same problem. You go to the trouble of getting shipping quotes and they won't follow through. I packaged up three globes for one person on here and went to the trouble of getting them to a UPS shipper to get a price quote, said he'd send the money, waited for three to four weeks and finally I cancelled it out. This was a fairly newbie. Of course, I'm sort of a newbie, too compared to some.

Had another to have me hold a flame globe for about two months and he never followed through either. He's no newbie by far.

Had another to want to swap me some items for toy trucks. I agreed to a couple of his items, then he sold one of them out from under me that I really wanted. So I cancelled the other toys on him, tooooooo!!!!

Sorry, but it just ticks me off for all the dis-honesty, too....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Happens all the time.I keep a no sell, no respond list.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I've only had one buyer not follow through, but I've had many very pleasant transactions (buying and selling) in my short time here.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Yep, I've had same experience within this last year. I give them a week or more & then contact again. They give an excuse that they still want my item, then don't follow through. What surprises me is that they are regulars on this site. Why can't honest people just say, "Hey I've changed my mind. I'm sorry. Sell it to someone else"?

Online Cool
I've heard this about a few members too.

There is a feature on this forum that has never been used. I thought it could be misused to pick on certain people. Wondering now if it could be a feedback system that could include buyer & seller satisfaction. Some may use it to show how they feel about those who annoy them aside from any buyer/seller experience.

Take this poll and vote whether we might enable the member rating feature. It would involve putting a drop-down menu on each member profile page with choices from one to five stars. Only registered members could vote and only once for each member. The stars would appear by the rated member's name in his posts. Holding your cursor over the star display would show how many votes were cast to get that rating.

This is a non-binding opinion poll.

Member ratings
single choice
I'm 100% for ratings (34%, 31 Votes)
Might be a good thing (19%, 17 Votes)
Don't care (8%, 7 Votes)
Might be a bad thing (26%, 24 Votes)
I'm 100% against ratings (13%, 12 Votes)
Total Votes: 91
Voting on this poll ends: Sun Nov 27 2011 09:00 PM
Last edited by Oldgas; Wed Nov 23 2011 07:07 AM. Reason: Add "non-binding" disclaimer

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can see the Member Rating being used for OTHER than what it was meant to be used for. WHO will be the Judge/Jury/HangMan/UnderTaker ? Will it be similar to ebay's Feedback?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ebay's feedback is a joke if you the seller.

Jamie Crosson
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can see where a rating system could be something good and at the same time something bad depending on it's usage.

As Jim and db have expressed, the opportunity to "get back at someone" would always be on the table.

Thankfully someone not paying for an item/canceling an "order" has happened to me only a couple of times, less than a handful if I remember correctly. Most of them were from established members. At the time I was livid, but time helps cloud the mind, especially the older I get.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This has been going on for years, nothing new, this is also why I put everything on Ebay.

The easyest way to take care of it is to state, no phone calls, no emails, no PMs, the first USPS money order to arrive gets the item. Then you have to be honest enough to return the others.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, I thought about this for a while and my thoughts are ---This is not really a site that was intended to provide an avenue for selling items. Its a forum where members can do a large variety of things, including the exchange of knowledge, opinions and preferences! At the same time, theres an area to buy and sell things, to and from people that should be fairly educated about the hobby and possibly provide that small jewel that has been so elusive for you!
I want to express the fact that I believe this forum to be a place to communicate, exchange ideas, and learn more in a short time than would be possible anywhere else! Thats why I'm here and I consider the buying and selling a bonus section!
There have always been problems on both sides between buyers and sellers for ages. These problems and how they are dealt with, can cause some awfully hard feelings, and I think its totally avoidable.
This is not a site where you should be depending on the sale of an item for your income. Its an accessory function that should help out once in a while. There should be no preconcieved notions that your buyer or seller will act appropriately just because they are members of this site! They are humans and many of them have never been taught proper etiquette for buying and selling of petroleum collectibles or for anything for that matter!
A sale on this site should be private between the 2 parties involved and as adults, if someone defaults or squirms out of a sale, it should be filed into your personal problem file where you refer to from time to time and never do business with that person again. Your list can always be shared amongst your closest friends and confidants, and when you see a problem developing for one of those friends, you can always advise him of your experiences in order to provide more information for his own decisions!
A system like that being discussed, is much too prone to deficiencies and can cause severe damage through intentional misuse that cannot be controlled or monitored!
I would hope that the members of this site have enough foresight that they can realize that the needs of this site are promotion and education and surely not misdirected enforcement! I would want this hobby to grow through the avenues of information and commoradarie that foster new and and exciting relationships and provide us with more information than would otherwise be possible!
I hold no grudges against those who may have defaulted on a deal with me, as more times than not, they hopefully learned a valuable lesson from it. I adhere to the old saying: Hurt me once, shame on you----Hurt me twice, shame on me!!

Lets use this site for what I truly believe it was originally intended!
Thanks for reading this--JM2C

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved