Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
The drastic amount of value questions that have been coming up recently is a concern for many member as seen in above posts. Flippers, Pickers, and dealers are using our knowledge for FREE. Our knowledge as collectors is the most valuable asset in my opinion. We should be very carefully because at the end of the day we are all on the computer and we have to ask ourselves "who are we dealing with or giving information to?"

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
S
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
The drastic amount of value questions that have been coming up recently is a concern for many member as seen in above posts. Flippers, Pickers, and dealers are using our knowledge for FREE. Our knowledge as collectors is the most valuable asset in my opinion. We should be very carefully because at the end of the day we are all on the computer and we have to ask ourselves "who are we dealing with or giving information to?"

Whats the value of this topic? jk Very good point, I check in daily and most of the posts are value questions. I wonder if flippers quote this site when they sell their items? With pinball and arcade it is easier, there are websites that track ebay sales and compile that info so you can grasp what certain games/pins are selling for, and you always have Mr Pinball's price guide just like Mr. Sims books for pricing pumps/meters...

Last edited by Smithwicks; Sat Nov 19 2011 07:31 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

To me, this is no problem at all! We are all hungry for knowledge. HOWEVER, like I stated earlier... Dont buy, THEN ask what its worth!

My pet peeves are from people, who make frivolous posts! YES! Frivolus posts! Please re-read my original post.

In the For Sale forums for example... People, if you wish you were closer, get in your damn truck and start driving! THAT will get you closer! BTW! If you feel the need to make a comment, about how nice that piece is, MAKE AN OFFER!!!

But wait! Theres more! If its "FOR SALE" post the price! If somebody asks a question, ANSWER IT!

Value forum... Its PROBABLY worth, what you paid for it! (that means, dont buy it, THEN ask)

And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.... DONT use this forum, to express your need to be UNIQUE! A picture or two? Fine. A whole thread? TAKE IT SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I really don't see the problem like so many have posted. So what. So flippers, pickers, dealers, and whoever else joins up, becomes members and asks a zillion value questions?

Guess what, they jsut might sell their stuff on ebay. Members here bid through ebay and the site gets paid.

They just might need to buy some parts once they get some understanding. Vendors that advertise on this site get a sale.

Maybe they accumulate enough stuff and need an auction. Auctioneers that advertise on this site get a gig.

Maybe they attend a show they see advertised here and conduct business with members here.

What's your alternative, make it a pay site to properly compensate members for their knowlege? Or perhaps keep the site small for esteemed veterans only.

I think many of the answers and attitudes on this thread alone demonstrates why many don't post on here as much anymore.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
If old gas and it's members can gain from all these value questions that's great. I just feel people should do more leg work instead of depending on others. Some people have complained about the search function. The search works great for me. Maybe a top post on the value forum indicating that a person should "search before asking " would be the right thing to do. There are many questions that have been asked numerous times. A person could have easily found their answer by doing a search. Do not get me wrong, there are many dealers and Pickers on this site that I have dealt with and had a great experience.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Well said, Ohio Oil.

I decided to come back & continue posting because of recent positive threads. The most recent one about the “Mobil” sign by Drew. I admire all VETERAN members showing
patience with the thread & help Drew with his question. This in turn will encourage more new members to join.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good response Ohio.....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys

I decided to come back & continue posting because of recent positive threads.

Welcome back Henrik.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys, The discussion went far beyond what I expected and I hope it "cleared the air" and helped this site and the hobby.

While responses to my post were great, I had hope that it might encourage veterans and newcomers alike to originate their own post designed to generate a positive, informative and thoughtful discussion .

The possibilities abound, veterans ? when is enough enough ? I have nothing left to prove. Beginners ? why does gas & oil seem to be holding up better than any of the cola stuff ?

To respond to an original thought is one thing ! to have have the original thought and communicate it is another. Think about it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved