Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
I'm looking high and low for my first 50's era pump locally. I am concerned that if I find one, what does it take to remove it from it's island mount? I am pretty adept mechanically and I'm sure I can get the job done, but I have never done this, so any advice to share would be much appreciated!Thanks in advance!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MAKE SURE THE ELECTRIC IS OFF AND DON'T SMOKE CIGS WHILE YOU'RE WORKING ON AND AROUND THE PUMP UNLESS THE SELLER KNOWS OTHERWISE ABOUT WHAT STILL MIGHT BE IN THE TANKS. THE REST IS BASICALLY NUTS, BOLTS AND FITTINGS.

KEEP US POSTED! wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Bring a big-a.. stilson wrench, in addition to your smaller tools.

When removing the bolts that hold the pump down, do not try to loosen them, tighten them until they break off.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Very 1st pump I removed from the wild (an old body shop) led to quite a shocking experience as I never even considered there could be still electricity run to it after decades of being out of service. I was wrong.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
... DON'T SMOKE CIGS WHILE YOU'RE WORKING ON AND AROUND THE PUMP...

IF that were true, I'd been dead a LONG TIME AGO! There is not much danger Unless ya have gasoline spilled on the ground or your clothes. I've used many torches cutting bolts, warming up unions & gutting pumps w/ 1 small fire from gutting a diesel pump.

A sheet of plywood, ratchet strap or short rope & a 24" piece of 1" pipe will make it easier to load/un-load the pump into a pickup, after pump is disconnected, tie plywood to pump, lay the pipe in bed of truck, lay pump against tailgate & slide in. Tie off or remove the pipe to keep pump from laying in intersection on way home.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sun Nov 27 2011 04:25 PM. Reason: don't matter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Also if the person wants the fuel line to the tank capped its most likely 1&1/2" cap you might need.

Gilbarco   Clendenin, WV.jpg
Last edited by Keystone Gas Man; Sun Nov 27 2011 04:45 PM.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After you get the pump unhooked, be careful not to scratch the sight glass when you slide the pump into the truck.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Bring a good strong friend or two. A good buddy of mine told me I had a real heavy hobby. We'd just loaded a pair of matching Bowser pumps from a farm location. Those short electric Bowsers were the heaviest pumps I had come a cross. Way heavier than M&S/Waynes, Tokheim or Bennetts I have had.

MB
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hello Flyingvranch welcome to Oldgas! Not sure what part of Texas you are in but you might contact Chris he goes by Diesel here on Oldgas he always has pumps for sale and lives in Texas also, His email is humbleoilrefinery@yahoo.com Good Luck on the hunt

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the great tips folks! Now If I can just find that perfect rusty old pump someplace close by....I'll let you all know when I do!

D
dud Offline
D
A hand sledge and a large hammer are essential. Hold the sledge against the union and give the other side of the union several good raps with the hammer. If you can work around the union in several places, the nut will loosten much easier than with brute force - works for me every time.

Good luck - Dud

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ive unhooked many pumps in the wild, and have only had 1 that the base was actually bolted to concrete...had 1 that the concrete was poured after the pump was set...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved