Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#287157 Sat Nov 26 2011 01:26 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I have a question for the experts. In the enclosed photo, the left pump is a Shell Green Streak and the right a Super shell. What would be the colors the pumps were painted? Red on top and yellow on bottom or the other way? Any help appreciated. Utahbob

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Probably red, as that was the standard (not Standard) color used for a gas pump when they left the factory. All the old sales literature state that the pumps would be supplied in red, unless you wanted to pay about $2.50 extra to have them pained another color.
Most pumps that were used in small stations like the one shown were either used pumps or purchased from the local petroleum equipment dealer, and they only stocked red pumps.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Nov 26 2011 03:39 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Judging by the Large SHELL sign & PENNZOIL sign below, I'd have to say the pumps were RED.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They should be yellow, but may be red by the dark color. The green streak decal has a dark stripe on it, that stripe is yellow. I guess it is possible the pumps are yellow judging by that.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for your help Jim, I admit that it seems like the gas stations that were done here were on the cheap. Thanks. Utahbob

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Dick, I appreciate the help. Utahbob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think red if you just look at the values (light/dark) in the photo.

If the shell sign is the dark orange yellow in Matt's post, the cover (globe holder) for the right cylinder may likely be the same yellow, but the pumps are darker and therefor likely red. Just look at Matt's decal and look at the difference in the light and dark of the shell yellow and the red lettering. To see values in color images, squint or use something like looking through the red plastic 'flags' you get at hardware stores for oversized loads. Those colored plastic flags, makes what you are looking a monochormatic red, and you can better distinguish lights and darks.

The cylinder cover for the left one looks to be the same as the pump (the wider light area on that cover compared to the light areas on the pump, is because the top has more sun glare on it), tho the actual globe holder looks darker, but it may be in the shade, or be just inconsistancies in the way the photo was developed. But if there were only specific colored globes for these products, it may not necesarily be red (or even yellow, I am not a globe expert).

What globe holder/ring colors were matched with those lenses?

Last edited by Nicole; Sun Nov 27 2011 08:51 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved