Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
After some moderator discussion, we're considering splitting up the For Sale or Trade forum into two sections:

Petroliana For Sale with prices

Petroliana For Sale by offers, bids

Separating the two could make it clear as to what a buyer can expect. We hear a lot of complaints that items don't have set prices. Members who don't like that could avoid the bids & offers forum.

A significant number of items start with a set price and later the seller stated it is open to offers. We're not sure about this situation. The seller should probably click the "Notify" button in his post to ask a moderator to move the topic over to the Offers & Bids forum.

Vote your choice and post your comments in the topic as a reply.

Split the For Sale forum into two forums, prices and offers?
single choice
Make two different forums (19%, 20 Votes)
Might be a good thing (14%, 15 Votes)
Don't care (7%, 7 Votes)
Might be confusing (5%, 5 Votes)
Don't split up the current For Sale forum (55%, 58 Votes)
Total Votes: 105
Voting on this poll ends: 0 seconds ago

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
I say leave it alone. There are already too many sections.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Might be a good thing but it could be confusing to.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My vote is to Leave it alone.

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that photo's be required in the initial posting...IMHO but as far as dividing, I think the moderators will be so busy moving postings on the wrong site to the right site and it will just create more work.

Perhaps a better poll is to ask membership to choose between changing it to requiring a price or to keep it like it is.

Last edited by Nicole; Tue Nov 29 2011 03:30 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Enforce the rules listed in Guidelines of For Sale.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BTW if you ever required prices (whether you added a forum or not) it would be self regulating as any potential buyer, seeing a sale without the price, would be quick to point that out to the seller.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PLEASE--Leave it alone.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim: This is a bit off topic, but maybe have an option in the For Sale section where the original lister can delete the item (whole topic) that was for sale so it doesn't stay there for ever.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I don't see the need to have two sections. For that matter, I don't know why it isn't a requirement to list a price for an item for sale. I know there is a lot of debate on this subject..price or make offer, but if a person is saying make an offer, they either don't know what to ask or are afraid of leaving money on the table. In cases where they don't know what to ask, they should post the item in the Petroliana Value section, find out what the concensus is on its value and then post it in the For Sale section with a price. They can always negotiate the price if there aren't any takers. It seems like since this site has allowed items to be listed without a price, there has been a lot of unneccessary drama on this site. One of the reasons I've been less interested in tuning into Oldgas like I used to.

Just my two cents.
Mac

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
leave as is.if you dont like it,dont read it!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mac
I don't see the need to have two sections. For that matter, I don't know why it isn't a requirement to list a price for an item for sale. I know there is a lot of debate on this subject..price or make offer, but if a person is saying make an offer, they either don't know what to ask or are afraid of leaving money on the table. In cases where they don't know what to ask, they should post the item in the Petroliana Value section, find out what the concensus is on its value and then post it in the For Sale section with a price. They can always negotiate the price if there aren't any takers. It seems like since this site has allowed items to be listed without a price, there has been a lot of unneccessary drama on this site. One of the reasons I've been less interested in tuning into Oldgas like I used to.

Just my two cents.
Mac
Very valid point Mac & in my opinion it's about leaving money on the table & not so much about being naive about the piece that's for-sale.With all the info at our finger tips, i don't see how one could not come up with a rough figure for a good starting point."BUT ALL THE SUDDEN....GOOD OL' GREED KICKS IN" & says there might be pennies on the table...........so what the heck.....make offer!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I feel its really not broke so why mess with it. I've come to believe that no matter what you do or how hard you try, there will always be a few people that are not happy. It would be nice if we could make it happen, but its just not possible. I for one appreciate you letting the members have a voice by letting us vote on it. Thank You Jim.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with Mac... If you want to sell something, figure out what you want for it!!! I cant stand people fishing for a sucker who might throw out a big offer because hes not educated. Figure out what its worth, price it in a way thats fair to the seller and buyer and then see where it goes.

I always find it remarkable that people who list with the "make an offer" clause often have some big offer they didnt accept previously, even though its twice the "going rate" of an item... riiiiight, and you didnt accept that offer because??? This is where I go on to tell the seller that at what their last "offer" was I could sell them the same item for less... and of course they are "not buying" right now. riiiight, even though there is an offer with more money for the item waiting around the corner, they dont want to be hassled to make the assured profit... its always a good test that there isn't the big offer waiting, or at least its not serious.

If you want to argue that a price cant be put on it, then list it on a online or local auction and let the bidders determine it quickly, dont drag it out for weeks on a forum.

I would have to agree that we should all be able to list with a fair asking price. So I'm in favour of leaving it as one for sale category with everyone listing their prices.

just my 2 cents... and I'm done venting for the day.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
U
U
I really like this site, even with all the drama. My vote is leave it as it is, there is no way you can please everybody,and we might miss something special if you require pricing. Thanks, Dave.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved