Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28877 Tue Dec 18 2007 09:02 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
What is going on with these shipping companies? I have a sign that was suppose to come to me that was shipped in Canada Dec 3 and it never has come to US, lost in Canada. I shipped a $300 gum machine which customer said was sitting on his neighbors porch for 3 days(fedex) and damaged sign from a customer(postal service) I worked for postal service for 19 years and wondered what would have happened to me if I did these things. Ready to give up selling items over internet at this rate.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#28878 Tue Dec 18 2007 09:52 PM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
In my experience the ABSOLUTE WORST is USPS then DHL then FedEx then UPS. Just my experience mind you.

Ed
#28879 Tue Dec 18 2007 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well I have used USPS for 5 years and they have yet to lose anything...UPS on the other hand may get it there, but "most likely" it will be broke and "GUARANTEED" they will say its your fault for not packing well enough!! Sorry insurance is not valid...mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
#28880 Tue Dec 18 2007 11:09 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
shipped from Canada on the 3rd.... not long enough yet for that...

#28881 Tue Dec 18 2007 11:27 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I sell and ship over the internet also. I have had this happen to me also. I always bubble wrap, peanuts, and double box, breakables such as glass. I always take a picture of the item as I pack it in the box for insurance later if I need it. This proved beneficial when UPS broke a beer sign that I shipped. In the past, if I ship to Canada, it takes about an extra week for me to get it there. If I must ship to Canada or elsewhere outside the US, I use an online shipping broker in New York state. They shipped a large, heavy box for me to Belgiun several dollars cheaper than I could and it got there in a week. If you wish to email me I can look it up and get the name for you.

Phil

[This message has been edited by philmccauley (edited 12-19-2007).]

Thanks, Phil
#28882 Wed Dec 19 2007 08:32 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
You can expect a minimum of 3 weeks from Canada and probaly 4 to 5 weeks. EVERYTHING goes through customs and things can sit there a long time until they get stamped and send. USPS can, and is, very slow this time of year, and actually, most times of year unless you pay for Priority and their rates have gone WAY up this year to help pay for the "white collar folks.

#28883 Wed Dec 19 2007 08:42 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Priority doesn't always help either, had a priority payment sent June didn't get to me until Aug and I had already resold the item. Will pass on broker, buyers complain enough to me about shipping costs. P.0 went up on their fees as it is. P.0 definatly by far the worst. Double box and bubble wrap and they still break things. They have lost several items in past and won't refund even if its their fault without insurance.

#28884 Wed Dec 19 2007 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shipped over a thousand items of all variations, mostly USPS but several UPS over the last few years NO PROBLEMS except for 1 item that was stolen off a porch after delivery. Rates may have gone up but when you are making hundreds and even thousands on your rare items, don't complain about spending $8.-$10. or $30-$40 dollars to ship it. and Insurance does cover if it is packaged right, if they say NO, fight them and they back down immediatly, just like insurance adjusters. That is my opinion!!!

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
#28885 Wed Dec 19 2007 09:11 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wish I was making thousands but not anymore. Things are not as they use to be. I do complain about the shipping fees especially when these people can't get it right. I wish I had that luck of items not getting lost or damaged. Have alot of people compliment my packing so I don't feel I can do much more.Just now had a customer who left his old address on ebay and I sent off the item and now fedex has to pick it up and redeliever it to me to reship to his new address. Nothing going right lately Hope it comes in one safe piece.

#28886 Wed Dec 19 2007 09:15 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I wish I knew where KZ1000 was getting his items to make thousands, I sure wouldn't complain about shipping fees then! Those days are gone for the most part. Gas prices and housing is killing the large profits as people I notice are cutting down on buying. Maybe others are making these kinds of profits still.

#28887 Wed Dec 19 2007 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I, too, ship a great deal by USPS and Fed Ex. If at all possible, use the USPS click it and ship it on line for prepping and paying for shipping. You get free confirmation tracking. Since I started to use it I have shipped over 500 boxes adn zero lost. I ahve used Fed Ex on line for shipping and they have only lost one box. filed a complaint and Fed Ex denied it. I called the claims guy, showed himit was in the system with the 130 other packages they pciked up and he said they would pay. took 5 minutes. Fed Ex Freight seems to damage the wooden crates everytime i ship something. I shipped an expensive Grizzlt sign via Fed Ex freight, isnured it and still didn't sleep for the week it was in transit. Got there fine. As much mail that is in the system, especially this time of the year i am amazed more isn't lost.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#28888 Wed Dec 19 2007 11:08 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I had a Honda head and bits come PRIORITY by USPS from NC to BC Canada.. 50 bux, took over 3 weeks.

The next one from him same size and priority same price & size, took 8 or 10 days!!.. go figure

Had an Air meter from Ma to BC take 5 weeks AIR mail once, it was shipped in Jan,,slow plane..

#28889 Wed Dec 19 2007 12:23 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
We ship literature and small ECO parts by USPS, and large items by Fed Ex. Have had great service. We print our own postage and Fed Ex papers on line, don't have to wait in any lines. Fed Ex even gives us a 10% discount for using the web.
But I will always remember the lady at the post office telling us that a package going to Canada would take an extra week because it had to go by boat.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#28890 Wed Dec 19 2007 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
About 2-3 months ago I bought a $500.00 metal detector from Radio Shack online using the Radio Shack Credit Card and they shipped it FedEx ground.

I have yet to see it. They shipped it with no signature needed. I have complained and Radio Shack opened a case with FedEx. FedEx says the dropped it at my door… CASE CLOSED.

Let’s see – 20,000 people a day drive within 20 feet of my front door and get stopped at the traffic light and look at my front door all day long. Not to mention there is a buss stop about 10 feet away from my door where they say they dropped the package. Top that off with being in a major Capital City mid-town.

I am now refusing to pay the credit card now because I never got my item and they will not let me bill it back, and Radio Shack will not give me a replacement or give me my money back. To heck with them. I get their phone calls from their credit company every day and tell them to go F themselves… I never got my item and now they want me to pay them for it, not going to happen.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#28891 Wed Dec 19 2007 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have never had a computer lost,
incomming or outgoing in 20 yrs using
Fed-Ex, UPS, USPS, I guess since they are something not recognized as being valuable by the masses, they don't get stolen.

I had a Wayne 40 computer come in last year USPS, hanging out of the box and beat to hell, there were "grind" marks where it looked like it had slid down the road.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved