Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"i wouldnt worry about your sign. id worry more about the roof rack pullung thru the cheap metal they make those hummers out of first! borrow a friends truck. its faster and no worries"

Cheap metal ? good enough for our military ? I've never had an issue with hauling anything on my roof rack !!

open mouth...insert foot.....once again wink

DSCN0244.JPG
Last edited by H1HUMMER; Sat Dec 10 2011 08:46 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
what about the trailer behind the hummer?

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to echo what was said about a strap attaching to front bumper. I was moving someone's stuff with my pickup and had the mattresses on top of the load, on the cab of my roof. I was driving the Washington beltway and on the exit off (thank goodness!) lost the mattresses. No one was close behind, though they would have seen the accident waiting to happen.

I would not have known had I not seen them landing out the side mirror. It's a wonder that no one was honking at me on the beltway because they must been pushed slowly backwards while I was driving and just happened to pass under the second side to side tie just as we exited.

Hey, I had just gotten my first pick up truck, I was twenty and didn't know better! smile Fortunately no one was killed for me to learn that lesson!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That ain't a military hummer! Bet the military pays twice as much for one built to their spec's.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MOST OF MY LARGE 6' SIGNS AS WELL AS OTHER SIGNS WERE TRANSPORTED ON THE ROOF OF MY PICK-UP AT THE TIME WHICH HAD A ROOF RACK. WHAT I DID DO ON MY FIRST SHORT TRIP WAS JUST TIE DOWN THE SIGN TO THE RACK. WHEN I GOT UP TO 40MPH THE SIGN STARTED TO FLEX BETWEEN THE RACKS AND CREATE HAVOC. LESSON LEARNED...I JUST DROVE SLOWER AFTER A RE-TIEDOWN.

AFTER THAT, I USED A THICK PIECE OF FOAM BETWEEN THE RACKS THAT FIT TIGHTLY. NOW I COULD LAY THE SIGNS ON TOP, STRAP THEM DOWN AND DO 70MPH NO PROBLEM.

HOWEVER THERE WAS A TIME WHEN I HAD A DIE-CUT 6' PHILLIPS SHIELD UP THERE AND THIS HUGE SEMI FLEW BY AND I HAD TO DO SOME PRAYING....THAT THING LOOKED LIKE IT WAS GONNA GO AIRBORNE. LOL! IT WAS ACTUALLY FINE AFTER CHECKING...STILL PRETTY TIGHT TO THE ROOF.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ladder/lumber rack is a bit different than a Roof Rack.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FORGOT TO MENTION THIS WAS A RACK ON THE ROOF OF MY PICK-UPS CAP!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
FORGOT TO MENTION THIS WAS A RACK ON THE ROOF OF MY PICK-UPS CAP!

lol, sounds like a truck out of the "Deliverance" movie

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL.....NAW, RICK....EET WAS MUCH MUCH NEWER!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
That ain't a military hummer! Bet the military pays twice as much for one built to their spec's.

Short of body armor & a .50 cal mtd on top.....it's built exactly to military specs, this one was made by AM General, not GM !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Screw it to the plywood. Be sure to use fender washers. Use ratchet straps to secure the plywood and sign to the rack. You'll be good to go!
I did something very similar and didn't have any problem hauling the sign over 200 miles.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved