Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#29039 Sat Sep 23 2006 04:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I've been searching for an answer to this for a while. In the mid-60s we frequently took the back routes between Lake Geneva and Milwaukee, and I remember a chain of gas stations that must have failed just prior to then. The signs looked like DX diamonds that were lit via spotlights. The Brand was Rocket, with red lettering on a yellow rocket. IIRC, above the rocket read "Gas," and beneath, "for Less." Can't remember if the lettering was in blue or red.
Because of the sign shape, I've always thought they had had a connection with DX.

Anyone familiar with these stations?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#29040 Sat Sep 23 2006 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure if this helps but I found this image:

Got Socony???

Tom
#29041 Sat Sep 23 2006 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#29042 Sat Sep 23 2006 09:14 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Those two pictures are of the same stations, just years apart.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#29043 Sun Sep 24 2006 08:16 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic and the replies, but the signage is very different. One thing I forgot to mention is that the buildings were painted a light cream color. The station I saw the most often looked like its single service bay had been boarded over before the paint; giving me the impression that as Rocket, it never did repairs.
I believe one station was in Hales Corners, and another in an unincorporated town which may have been Springfield. They were all over the area before the STH-15 expressway (now I-43) was built.

#29044 Thu Sep 28 2006 05:20 AM
G
gam Offline
G
Here's a reply from a friend....

Yes. I also remember Rocket gas stations and the Gas for Less signs. I recall one in Milwaukee along Forest Home Ave. somewhere east of 27th Street that I saw frequently. Its signage was in glorious neon. Also remember seeing other Rocket stations but don't recall where. I believe Rocket was a local southeastern Wisconsin chain and had no connection to DX. At that time, DX stations were very common in Wisconsin and especially the Milwaukee area. I want to say that the DX's in this area along with the Western/Mileage/Direct Service midwestern chain of gas stations eventually became part of Superamerica. But I'm not sure of that without checking. Yes, I agree that the Rocket filling stations sold gas and a few accessories but normally didn't bother with active service or repair bays.

Greg

#29045 Thu Sep 28 2006 10:11 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks, Greg, I think your friend nailed it in one. Perhaps I was seeing repurposed D-X signage. I do remember a lot of DX stations in that area, and also in Madison. And I think that something that might be throwing me off, memory-wise, is that this was around the time of the Boron globe toppers that featured the 3D rocket piece at DX.
I wish I had seen a Rocket station in its neon glory!

DX in northern Illinois went to Sunoco. When Smith Oil also did, you didn't see much other than Sunoco and Standard until the original oil crunch.

I have a Tokhiem 39 short gas pump that I was told came from an old Rocket station in Baraboo WI. It has some traces of the original Rocket branding on it which leads me to retain the heritage of the brand since I am in Green Bay and Rocket was a small regional fuel company in Wisconsin. I'll be traveling fro work later this month from Green Bay down to Dixon IL so I may be visiting any antique shops along the way to see if i get lucky and find a Rocket branded globe. Any info or images of the Rocket brand name is appreciated.

Love motorcycles, got eleven right now, dealing on others. Looking for a 1948 to 1954 Jawa 350 Twin.
AndyVH1959 #738293 Sun Nov 03 2019 09:25 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I would get ahold of the Sauk County Historical Society (Baraboo is the county seat of sauk). When you email them, tell them about your pump. Someone will probably research it and get you some pics of the station. You might be able to see your pump in the photos.

M
M
Attached is a photo captioned Rocket Oil Co. Madison, WI , as well as a glass oil bottle from my collection

rocket oil madison.jpg ROCKET OMO.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is neat! Thanks for sharing

Rob

My 1st pump that I bought in late June is an old Rocket branded 39 Short. I hope to find a Rocket globe for it. That or I'll go to a local car graphics place to have reproduction decals for it.

Last edited by AndyVH1959; Thu Nov 21 2019 07:21 PM.

Love motorcycles, got eleven right now, dealing on others. Looking for a 1948 to 1954 Jawa 350 Twin.
I created a post for the Rocket graphics I had created by T-ways graphics. Its based on what I learned here and also what I could measure directly off my 39 Short. Based on what I read here it may be pretty close to original.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved