Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I got mine at HOME DEPOT

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Muiratic Acid is available at most hardware stores and even at some Walmart stores. Normally it is used on cement/driveway/brick as a cleaning agent and can be bought in 1gal sizes for $7-$12.

What you are buying is a dilluted form of Hydrocloric Acid. It will eat away rust quickly, heavy paint over a few hours, and any metal given enough time. DO NOT use it on Aluminum as it will dissolve it away in short order.

MSDS fact: http://complyplus.grainger.com/grainger/msds.asp?sheetid=3760004

HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS:
FLAMMABLE HYDROGEN GAS CAN BE PRODUCED BY REACTION WITH MOST METALS AND MAY FORM EXPLOSIVE MIXTURES WITH AIR. CHLORINE GAS WILL BE RELEASED BY MIXING WITH STRONG OXIDIZERS.

Use generous amount of water to rinse.

Be aware that if you do use Muiratic acid for cleaning you need to apply a protective coating to the bare metal because it will rust back.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
What can you put on it to protect it?

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Muritic Acid sold at hardware stores is also what they use in Pools/Hot Tubs. Neutralize w/ Baking Soda mixed w/ water, then plenty of clean water rinse.
A Good coat of wax will protect/seal from further rusting.
IF your displaying OUTSIDE, I'd clear coat/touchup the worst places before giving it a wax coating.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok thanks Dick for the advice.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I stored an old jug of muratic acid "out of site" on my concrete floor. When I went back to use it, some had seeped out, which resulted in the acid eating away at my concrete. I don't leave any of it on concrete any longer. Brady

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Store Muraitic Acid in a plastic container with a plastic lid, DO NOT use any metal storage or lid as they will eventually corrode.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved